2007 Blown Head Gasket - All Help Appreciated!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
She needs open heart surgery and I’m gathering all info available! I was driving up a desert hill on I10 into CA pulling a uhaul trailer (1,500 lbs?) while mashing the throttle trying to keep speed at 80(a very stupid combination and I deserve the 20+ hours of grueling labor coming my way..). Suddenly temp was redlining and check engine light came on.. pulled off as quick as I could. The radiator blew open up top so I said ok well at least that’s all it is! Replaced Rad, cap and thermostat and nope, not my lucky day! (I’ve tested every other possibility and it’s definitely a HG. I’m getting combustion gasses in the cooling system constantly. I tested this with a clear burp system on the radiator and I get bubbles every 15 seconds at idle and every 8 seconds at 2500 rpm. Consistently.)
The closest thing I found to a documented or step by step is this thread here but didn’t see a resolution!
2001 Blown head Gasket - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2001-blown-head-gasket.971088/

Any and all knowledge/recourses linked would be highly appreciated! I’m specifically after FSM for the job and anything surrounding it..
Thank you all!!

Were you running low on coolant? Clogged ac condenser fins? Big fog lights in front? Otherwise these engjnes with massive factory fan hardly heats up.

I had the same symptoms in my 92 corolla/prizm, radiator got melted, and I was stupid, though if I open the heater core to cool it faster and that heat destroyed the heater core as well. I have never done a HG job on a car prior to this incident. Got few quotes, but didnt feel like paykng 5 to 6 times more than the actual cost so I did it by my self.. low and behold, i have done 60K miles sin e the repair, and it drives good.

Were you running low on coolant? Clogged ac condenser fins? Big fog lights in front? Otherwise these engjnes with massive factory fan hardly heats up.

I had the same symptoms in my 92 corolla/prizm, radiator got melted, and I was stupid, though if I open the heater core to cool it faster and that heat destroyed the heater core as well. I have never done a HG job on a car prior to this incident. Got few quotes, but didnt feel like paykng 5 to 6 times more than the actual cost so I did it by my self.. low and behold, i have done 60K miles sin e the repair, and it drives good.
Coolant was fine, nothing clogged that I know of but I’ll check when I tear things apart.

I’ve seen that these radiators tend to blow on the top. Im at 250k so maybe mine was do? And maybe the radiator blew and I didn’t realize it until the motor got too hot in the desert climate pulling weight? I think it was just a perfect recipe…

Coolant was fine, nothing clogged that I know of but I’ll check when I tear things apart.

I’ve seen that these radiators tend to blow on the top. Im at 250k so maybe mine was do? And maybe the radiator blew and I didn’t realize it until the motor got too hot in the desert climate pulling weight? I think it was just a perfect recipe…
Most likely. When did you last replaced the radiator? Still on the factory radiator? If so this was the issue.

You didn't mention mileage but I suggest to do a compression test and a leak down test once you isolate which cylinder is the problem.
Reason for the compression is trying to see if any of the cylinders got too hot causing the rings to loosen up and leak down will tell you if any of your valves are leaking and also confirm the HG leak. If compression is good and have very little valve leak you might be able to get away with just doing the HG and save some money for other things. This is what I did to my 93 truck when it sprung a leak all of a sudden into #5 cylinder I had the machinist pressure test it and just clean the surface and OE HG set.

Just saw you posted mileage, I would avoid doing a valve job at this mileage my HG blew at 290k

You didn't mention mileage but I suggest to do a compression test and a leak down test once you isolate which cylinder is the problem.
Reason for the compression is trying to see if any of the cylinders got too hot causing the rings to loosen up and leak down will tell you if any of your valves are leaking and also confirm the HG leak. If compression is good and have very little valve leak you might be able to get away with just doing the HG and save some money for other things. This is what I did to my 93 truck when it sprung a leak all of a sudden into #5 cylinder I had the machinist pressure test it and just clean the surface and OE HG set.

Just saw you posted mileage, I would avoid doing a valve job at this mileage my HG blew at 290k
Great info… thanks!

PMing you!

Hey cruisers!

About to tackle the job and replace HGs on my 07.. my biggest fear is tearing it all down and confused on putting it back together 😩

Anyone have an FSM for HG on 100 series?

Thank you!!

Why are you replacing HG?
Thanks so much!!!
Please see my other thread 2007 Blown Head Gasket - All Help Appreciated!! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2007-blown-head-gasket-all-help-appreciated.1314082/#post-15006569

Any other advice or tips??

Thank you!

For the head gasket to have blown. You may have warped the head(s). It's also very possible you've cylinders wall, piston and or ring damage.

I would scope the cylinder first. At minimum, compression test dry and wet. It's best know if cylinder damage first. Which if any are damaged. Engine replacement may be a better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom