2006 LX470 Purchase Advice (1 Viewer)

Buy or Pass?

• Buy

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Pass

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I say this non sarcastically, but if you don’t mind likely being upside down on it very soon, go for it.
Market value may be 20k right now, but that can change pretty quickly. At the end of the day it’s a 15 year old suv with over 100k. Not that it’s a bad thing, but for 20k it’s a lot. Make sure insurance would cover the price you paid or look into GAP insurance.
That’s a premium price for a non premium quality LX. Has minor rust underneath and pretty high mileage for the price imo. My 2000 model with 300k has less rust underneath.
Understandable! My logic is (as mentioned above): "I'll barely drive it, keep it extremely clean, keep maintenance records up-to-date, and come 5 years from now, it should be an excellent example of a clean LX"

So, come 5 years, I understand that I will probably not get what I paid for it but what I own on it vs what it's worth should be a decent amount... I say in 5 years, if I keep everything up, it will be well worth $12k give or take.

Yes, GAP insurance is definitely a must. I've seen both sides of the end result of not having it vs having it.

I bought a 2006 LX470 last week from a dealer in New Jersey, though the car has been in Jacksonville, FL most of its life. One owner, clean Carfax, always serviced at Lexus dealer, all maintenance done. Very clean, everything is supposed to be operational. 147,000 miles. Cypress Pearl Metallic. It has some surface rust underneath, and looks similar to the pictures you showed. I ended up paying $13,995, plus $496 in dealer fees. To be fair, I haven’t seen it in person yet, but have extensive pics and dealer video walk around, but it seems to be very similar to your situation. I hope the comparison is helpful.
It does and it sounds like you got a Great deal, congrats! Is that your Out the door price with tax, tag and title?

Get them down to around $12k - 13k, and I think that's a fair price point. Anything above $15k is too high.

Get them down to around $12k - 13k, and I think that's a fair price point. Anything above $15k is too high.
To be honest, I doubt I could get it for $13k out the door...

On top of that, the dealer is working with me on the AC repairs.

Would $13k out the door be great, yeah, it would be fantastic! But $17,500, I am good with.

Clearly you are set on the price. Why ask further. Lock it up. Best wishes and enjoy the ride. It’s a tool. Not a jewel. Drive it in good health.

To be honest, I doubt I could get it for $13k out the door...

On top of that, the dealer is working with me on the AC repairs.

Would $13k out the door be great, yeah, it would be fantastic! But $17,500, I am good with.

Then I would hold off and shop around for a bit longer. There are great Cruisers out there in better condition for around the price point I stated. As another member previously stated, there are people out there now strapped for cash. You can get more for your car privately than from the dealer too. I spent 9 months searching for my Cruiser before I found the one, but I'm patient and do not impulse buy. In fact, I put an offer on my current Cruiser a month and half before purchasing. I waited them out. Still have no clue why it didn't sell sooner. It was at an Infinity dealership and all the service was preformed at the Lexus dealer across the street. Texas rig too. No rush on my end, and they were way more favorable to see me again. The way I looked at it was, I don't have a Cruiser today, would like one, but I will be A O K not having one. But you do you.

Clearly you are set on the price. Why ask further. Lock it up. Best wishes and enjoy the ride. It’s a tool. Not a jewel. Drive it in good health.
I am not set on it, but i am ok with it. I agree, it's a material object. I just wanted to see others views! I appreciate all the input from everyone

Then I would hold off and shop around for a bit longer. There are great Cruisers out there in better condition for around the price point I stated. As another member previously stated, there are people out there now strapped for cash. You can get more for your car privately than from the dealer too. I spent 9 months searching for my Cruiser before I found the one, but I'm patient and do not impulse buy. In fact, I put an offer on my current Cruiser a month and half before purchasing. I waited them out. Still have no clue why it didn't sell sooner. It was at an Infinity dealership and all the service was preformed at the Lexus dealer across the street. Texas rig too. No rush on my end, and they were way more favorable to see me again. The way I looked at it was, I don't have a Cruiser today, would like one, but I will be A O K not having one. But you do you.
not wishing anything bad on anyone but there are a lot of cash strap folks out there right now. there are deals to be made.

Oh, completely; however, I'm OCD when it comes to the visual condition (mechanical too) of things... I would be having to purchase a new rear bumper and that's more $$. Though, it would look great with a beefy offroad bumper!. But I see your point!

Understood and appreciate the advice!

I know, it's definitely steep. I've considered the 200s but I do love the boxy look of the 100s. Plus, I really don't want to go over $18k with my next vehicle.

To be honest tho, the other vehicle in the running is a 2014-15 Honda Pilot.
We have a 16 pilot so one generation newer but same concept- wagon on car platform w awd. I’d take my clapped out 100 over the pilot any day. Only way pilot has it beat is with cup holders and is quieter inside. 0 cool factor and if I go 65 or less on the highway I’m only a few mpgs behind the pilot.

We have a 16 pilot so one generation newer but same concept- wagon on car platform w awd. I’d take my clapped out 100 over the pilot any day. Only way pilot has it beat is with cup holders and is quieter inside. 0 cool factor and if I go 65 or less on the highway I’m only a few mpgs behind the pilot.
Thanks for this information! it's good to hear about real world experience. I'm really leaning towards the 100's for sure

I ended up purchasing it. I did a full brake job and replaced the rims and tires. Tundra steel rims with 275/70r18 Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003
DSC_4954.jpg
DSC_4959.jpg
DSC_4975.jpg
DSC_4978.jpg
DSC_4983.jpg

It's still new to me. At first I wanted white (my last 3 cars have been white) but now after seeing it, it's growing on me

Though, I did purchase new chrome emblems! Even though the gold has kind of grown on me too

It's still new to me. At first I wanted white (my last 3 cars have been white) but now after seeing it, it's growing on me

Yep, I originally wanted white too. The dealer called to say "we've finally got a new fully loaded white one in stock for you". I showed up and it wasn't white, but I bought it anyway.

Though, I did purchase new chrome emblems! Even though the gold has kind of grown on me too
Ugh! I'm one of those "never gold emblems" type!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom