2006 LX Engine Dies After Climbing A Hill and Then Idling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After climbing a large hill the engine tends to die if I get off the gas. This has happened a couple times. Once while coasting down the hill and another when I came to stop light after the hill. The gas tank has been full and half full. The weather has been warm and cold. The local dealer (I work there too), first cleaned out the throttle body. The problem remains , so the techs best guess is fuel pump. Even at my employee cost, a fuel pump is still a grip. I just thought someone might have some insight before I spend the cash. Thank you for your help.

I've heard of many cases where 06+ would die on high elevation or extreme heat. Replacing the fuel pump is a good shot of fixing it, the pump is very easy to replace. Buy the part online and do it yourself, it's under the carpet on the rear seats.

I'd start with a new fuel filter, for all the usual reasons, plus I just like replacing filters. (Makes me feel like I'm doing something useful! )

This might help:
F292CA55-490E-4AC1-B0B7-58D83F8BE1D0.jpeg
C8261E2B-5B19-4E73-8FAC-01F1119E5EE1.jpeg

I have an 06LX too and I experienced the same symptoms you mentioned.

The 06 and 07 LC/LX fuel is unique, it is a two-speed type of pump. At normal operating conditions it runs on lower speed / pressure mode. And when it needs more fuel in the combustion chamber (based on O2 sensor temp, air-fuel ratio, ambient intake manifold temp (maf), as it’s new architecture, it steps up the speed. That’s when it starts the symptoms. On most 06/07 owners 2UZFE with VVTi, when you rest it and wait for the engine for 20-30mins after it has stalled, it will turn over and eventually engine will start and idle again.

I have went through a lot to troubleshoot this, with the help of fellow enthusiasts here I was able to solve it (fuel pump replacement), I even added an auxiliary fan (aircon condenser fan) and thought my AC was doing high pressure ang cutting off vacuums thats why maybe engine kept on stalling.

- replaced all 8 spark plus with bnew ones: didn’t fixed it
- cleaned maf: didn’t fixed it
- overhauled the whole intake manifold and replaced bank 1 and 2 manifold gaskets, replaced all fuel injectors o-ring gaskets: didn’t fixed it but it made the engine so smooth, runs finer, way less vibrations than before
- replaced throttle body gasket: didn’t fixed it
- added condenser fan: didn’t fixed it but made the aircon biting cold on 115°F outside temps during summer (idling or moving)
- replaced fuel filter: didn’t fixed it
- replaced old air filter with bnew oem air filter: didn’t fixed it
- took out oem fuel pump and replaced with Denso fuel pump part number 950-0210: symptoms never happened again almost 1 year ago now.

Last edited:
This reminds me i need to replace my fuel pump as well, it's working fine now and no signs of failing anytime soon but the truck is approaching 200K so i want to replace it as preventive maintenance. Fuel pump crapping out during a cross country trip is a big pain

The 06 and 07 LC/LX fuel is unique, it is a two-speed type of pump. At normal operating conditions it runs on lower speed / pressure mode. And when it needs more fuel in the combustion chamber (based on O2 sensor temp, air-fuel ratio, ambient intake manifold temp (maf), as it’s new architecture, it steps up the speed. That’s when it starts the symptoms. On most 06/07 owners 2UZFE with VVTi, when you rest it and wait for the engine for 20-30mins after it has stalled, it will turn over and eventually engine will start and idle again.

I have went through a lot to troubleshoot this, with the help of fellow enthusiasts here I was able to solve it (fuel pump replacement), I even added an auxiliary fan (aircon condenser fan) and thought my AC was doing high pressure ang cutting off vacuums thats why maybe engine kept on stalling.

- overhauled the whole intake manifold and replaced bank 1 and 2 manifold gaskets, replaced all fuel injectors o-ring gaskets: didn’t fixed it but it made the engine so smooth, runs finer, way less vibrations than before
- added condenser fan: didn’t fixed it but made the aircon biting cold on 115°F outside temps during summer (idling or moving)
- took out oem fuel pump and replaced with Denso fuel pump part number 950-0210: symptoms never happened again almost 1 year ago now.
On the positive side of this, great work, and your fuel delivery system should be solid for years to come once you DO get fixed. ( I didn't read further to see if you'd licked it yet). Aaaaand, you Did. Great work! Sounds like when I was in denial that my steering rack was busted- replaced everything from the outer Tie Rod End to the PS pump, lines, seals, then, finally- the PIA job of replacing the rack. I had to get a mechanic's help on that one.

Great info. Thank you! Is the Denso pump actually better than the OEM?

That's great info. Thank you. Is Denso any better or just less expensive?

Oddly, Summit says that part number does not fit the 06 LX. Should I order anyway?

Oddly, Summit says that part number does not fit the 06 LX. Should I order anyway?
I got mine from Amazon next day delivery
0206DB5E-7A74-49CB-AED0-EDB36D0C8887.jpeg

Actually OEM Toyota/Lexus parts are made by Denso.

This specific fuel pump part number is actually for a Tundra/Sequoia, but also is the exact same for an 06/07 LC/LX.

Fuel Pump! Very likely.

What's the last word on this fuel pump for the '06-'07 LC 100?
Is Denso 950-0210 the correct part number?
Does anything else need to be ordered along with the pump itself to have what you need for the install?

I need to get this done soon. Have some long trips coming up. Don't want to have that experience again. My engine shut down going uphill in the left lane at 70 mph+ on I-15 (the infamous Baker Grade). I was fortunate that I made it to the summit so I was able to move to the right lane and coast down to the next exit.

What's the last word on this fuel pump for the '06-'07 LC 100?
Is Denso 950-0210 the correct part number?
Does anything else need to be ordered along with the pump itself to have what you need for the install?

I need to get this done soon. Have some long trips coming up. Don't want to have that experience again. My engine shut down going uphill in the left lane at 70 mph+ on I-15 (the infamous Baker Grade). I was fortunate that I made it to the summit so I was able to move to the right lane and coast down to the next exit.
That’s about what I needed. Mine worked flawlessly since installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom