2005 LX470 - What do i need to get started? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the help guys. So the wife and i discussed the LX over dinner and we have decided that our lne in the sand is $22k. If we can’t sell it in 2 weeks for that price we are going to order new tires and start having some fun.

I disagree with the Mud Terrain recommendation. Mud Terrain suck on snow/ice and wear like crap if you're not OCD on getting tires rotated. Can't beat a good AT, look for the mountain with snowflake for good all weather grip, like BFG KO2, GY Duratrac, or Kumho RoadVenture AT51.

I disagree with the Mud Terrain recommendation. Mud Terrain suck on snow/ice and wear like crap if you're not OCD on getting tires rotated. Can't beat a good AT, look for the mountain with snowflake for good all weather grip, like BFG KO2, GY Duratrac, or Kumho RoadVenture AT51.

I agree with disagreeing with mud terrains .... anyhow, they are awesome the one time you really need them to dig you out of something bad. The other 99% of the time they are just annoying, wear poorly, create noise and vibrations, and overall ruin the driving experience. KO2's , Cooper ST Maxx, Falken AT3, all will serve you quite well. The newer KO2 and the AT3 are even winter rated.

I’ll throw in a vote for General Graber ATx tires. Also 3 peak winter rated and can be studded. A lot of features for the price point. Great stopping on wet roads here in Florida.

I had MT’s and loved the off-road handling but hated the noise. Ate right thru my pads as heavy as they were. I rotated every 4 months so they wore perfectly. If I had a dedicated rig, I would go MT. Not my preference for DD tho.

Good luck!

Thanks again guys. As far as tires go, I am probably going with the KO2s 275/70/18. Also going to get Slee sliders. Add in a compressor and removal of the bull bar, and I think I am good to go. Eventually I will probably do a winch. This is all based on the fact that the vehicle does not sell in the next 2 weeks!

If you don't mind getting your 2018 LX570 a little dirty (easy off-roading), I would mod her with just KO2s and Slee sliders (an air compressor at your discretion), she's would look BEASTLY and plus she'll get awfully lonely if you spend all your time with your newly upgraded 2005.

Unless you got the garage space for all your vehicles, I would let go of your 2005 and part ways with it. Give a good deal on it to family member or close friend who you know will use it and love it. I would be thoroughly surprised if your 05 LX470 sold for 22k, but it could be possible after all the mods (tires, sliders and adding a air compressor) you put into it.

These trucks aren't just made for safe traveling on roads and highways, they are meant to be driven in all terrains. I'd say about 75% of Land Cruiser/LX 470/570 drivers do not know the potential of their vehicle. The popularity of this forum helps enable people to become more confident, but still many people love babying their mall cruisers (myself included) and drive relatively conservatively.

If you don't mind getting your 2018 LX570 a little dirty (easy off-roading), I would mod her with just KO2s and Slee sliders (an air compressor at your discretion), she's would look BEASTLY and plus she'll get awfully lonely if you spend all your time with your newly upgraded 2005.

Unless you got the garage space for all your vehicles, I would let go of your 2005 and part ways with it. Give a good deal on it to family member or close friend who you know will use it and love it. I would be thoroughly surprised if your 05 LX470 sold for 22k, but it could be possible after all the mods (tires, sliders and adding a air compressor) you put into it.

These trucks aren't just made for safe traveling on roads and highways, they are meant to be driven in all terrains. I'd say about 75% of Land Cruiser/LX 470/570 drivers do not know the potential of their vehicle. The popularity of this forum helps enable people to become more confident, but still many people love babying their mall cruisers (myself included) and drive relatively conservatively.

Thanks for the advice. I do see your points. Really tough call. I think by drawing a line in the sand at $22k i am basically saying i am keeping it. As a first time off roader, the thought of putting the LX570 on dirt just isn’t really appealing tbh. We have had it for two weeks, but maybe in a few years. Besides, it is really the wife’s and i would feel bad damaging it. It would also be our only vehicle (my GT3 sucks in snow lol). So if i ever wanted to scratch the off road itch, this is the time. Besides, Colorado! So we are really looking at this as a new adventure. I know what i have in this 05. No mysteries. Again, tough call! Btw, we did offer it pretty cheap to family and friends, but they just don’t really know what this thing is all about.

Well those 21" wheels cause some issues if we were going to get down to one LX (the new one) and off road it occasionally. Nothing is ever easy in this life lol.

I don't even want to ask about the winch.

Well those 21" wheels cause some issues if we were going to get down to one LX (the new one) and off road it occasionally. Nothing is ever easy in this life lol.

I don't even want to ask about the winch.

Of course you'd have to take off the 21" wheels. 21" are definitely for performance driving. I personally think ideal wheel size with over-sized tires are 18" wheels.

Just saying.... lol

WOW! Thats just sick!

still cant stand that grill tho.... :)

Oh that’s not mine. Haha. I wish! The 200 I posted is my friend’s, he got his roof rack from Front Runner Vehicle Outfiters (Agoura Hills, CA) and his sliders are Metal Tech

I’ve got a stock 03 LC with BFG 33s and Metal Tech sliders (and it’s all I need for my daily driving and occasional off-roading). Next upgrade: Bowfin roof rack.

Well i did a little maintenance the past few days. Since i am now at 117,000 miles i decided to change the spark plugs, engine oil and air filter, rear diff fluid, and transfer case fluid. Easy DIY maintenance. This vehicle is really easy to work on.

Btw, i had a good look under the vehicle today. There is some rust on the exhaust and muffler but overall she is really clean. This thing should last another 30 years easy!

Going to take it in to get the front brakes serviced next week, and have the CV boots replaced. Those two items combined are around $1,000. Then i think i am past the point of no return regarding selling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom