2005 LX470 Mark Levinson stereo - NO SOUND (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pfranleds.com
So...

My wife's 2005 LX470 (Nav equipped) has a Mark Levinson stereo issue that I have been troubleshooting for the past few days. I know there are numerous threads out there dealing with similar issues but I can't find any that replicate exactly what I am experiencing.

(Links to threads I have reviewed will be provided at the end of this post).

Issue:

- No sound when selecting AM/FM/CD

Data points:

- 2005 LX470 with Mark Levinson sound package. Very well maintained. Zero mods.

- Unplugged all peripherals (cig lighter USB fast charger) as I didn't want to introduce any variables during the troubleshooting phase.

- Nav works (nav voice even works and plays correctly through the driver's door speaker).

- Climate/Heat controls (integrated into the nav screen) work.

- I checked all of the fuses in three locations (under hood, driver's side footwell, passenger side footwell). The only blown fuse in the vehicle was labeled "Power Outlet" and I replaced the fuse.

- I didn't just visually inspect the fuses, I used a Bussmann fuse tester on each one.

- Reading up on various Lexus/Land Cruiser Mark Levinson threads, I learned that the issue was most likely the Mark Levinson amplifier (Part # 86280-0W052) under the passenger seat. I ordered a $600 tested/working used/refurb unit from a highly-rated eBay vendor, disconnected the battery, and replaced the amplifier. Since there are at least four part numbers for this amp, I made sure to replace the one I believed to be faulty with a replacement having the same part# (86280-0W052).

Lexus Navigation CD Changer DVD Display Cluster Repair - Lexus Navigation Repair

- When the ignition is switched to ON , you can hear/see the cooling fan on the ML amplifier spin up for a few seconds. I switched back to my original ML amp and the fan spins up on it as well. I repeated the ignition on/off sequence multiple times to ensure that the amp spin-up wasn't causing any fuses to blow. This tells me that both amplifiers were/are getting power.

- Placed NAV unit into factory test/diagnostic mode. I ran every test available and they returned no error codes.
Reset maint light, Nav override, hidden diagnostic menu, door lock option

- When the system is switched to FM (or AM, CD, Tape etc.), the power antenna raises and the NAV screen shows the volume meter adjusting up and down in line with any manual input physically given to the volume knob. The issue remains that no sound is coming out of the speakers.

- Unpaired all Bluetooth connected phones from the system. My line of thinking was that perhaps there was a bluetooth issue and that a "ghost" Bluetooth connection could be cutting the FM radio input.

- My wife reported that before sound stopped working, it behaved abnormally at least one time before complete failure. I believe she said the volume fell and she turned it up before it stopped working. The next day she when she started the vehicle, the radio came on momentarily at very high volume and then stopped working again. (This bullet point is subject to future revision as I just quickly noted my recollection of what she relayed to me. I am going to ask her to get into as much detail as possible later today).

Next steps in troubleshooting:

-????

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Related threads/sites:

Mark Levinson AMP Issue

GX470 no volume control

Stock Radio Question - AUDIO OFF

TLC FAQ

2004 Lexus GX470 No sound from radio, help - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

GX470: No sound! - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

No Audio on 2004 LX470 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

No Audio LX470 2002 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Mark Levinson No Audio - Please Help - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Last edited:
So...

My wife's 2005 LX470 (Nav equipped) has a Mark Levinson stereo issue that I have been troubleshooting for the past few days. I know there are numerous threads out there dealing with similar issues but I can't find any that replicate exactly what I am experiencing.

(Links to threads I have reviewed will be provided at the end of this post).

Issue:

- No sound when selecting AM/FM/CD

Data points:

- 2005 LX470 with Mark Levinson sound package. Very well maintained. Zero mods.

- Unplugged all peripherals (cig lighter USB fast charger) as I didn't want to introduce any variables during the troubleshooting phase.

- Nav works (nav voice even works and plays correctly through the driver's door speaker).

- Climate/Heat controls (integrated into the nav screen) work.

- I checked all of the fuses in three locations (under hood, driver's side footwell, passenger side footwell). The only blown fuse in the vehicle was labeled "Power Outlet" and I replaced the fuse.

- I didn't just visually inspect the fuses, I used a Bussmann fuse tester on each one.

View attachment 2002681

- Reading up on various Lexus/Land Cruiser Mark Levinson threads, I learned that the issue was most likely the Mark Levinson amplifier (Part # 86280-0W052) under the passenger seat. I ordered a $600 tested and working used/refurb unit from a highly-rated eBay vendor, disconnected the battery, and replaced the amplifier. Since there are at least four part numbers for this amp, I made sure to replace the one I believed to be faulty with a replacement having the same part# (86280-0W052).

Lexus Navigation CD Changer DVD Display Cluster Repair - Lexus Navigation Repair

View attachment 2002678

- When the ignition is switched to ON , you can hear/see the cooling fan on the ML amplifier spin up for a few seconds. I switched back to my original ML amp and the fan spins up on it as well. I repeated the ignition on/off sequence multiple times to ensure that the amp spin-up wasn't causing any fuses to blow. This tells me that both amplifiers were/are getting power.

- Placed NAV unit go into factory test/diagnostic mode. I ran every test available and they returned no error codes.
Reset maint light, Nav override, hidden diagnostic menu, door lock option

- When the system is switched to FM (or AM, CD, Tape etc.), the power antenna raises and the NAV screen shows the volume meter adjusting up and down in line with any manual input physically given to the volume knob. The issue remains that no sound is coming out of the speakers.

- Unpaired all Bluetooth connected phones from the system. My line of thinking was that perhaps there was a bluetooth issue and that a "ghost" Bluetooth connection could be cutting the FM radio input.

- My wife reported that before sound stopped working, it behaved abnormally at least one time before complete failure. I believe she said the volume fell and she turned it up before it stopped working. The next day she when she started the vehicle, the radio came on momentarily at very high volume and then stopped working again. (This bullet point is subject to future revision as I just quickly noted my recollection of what she relayed to me. I am going to ask her to get into as much detail as possible later today).

Next steps in troubleshooting:

-????

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!