2004 GX470 Aux Fuel Tank and Brake Upgrade Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Won't be dot compliant

Any updates to this thread? Getting another tank would be a must for me if I choose GX as my platform. I see @Vlad said hes getting one installed but didnt say which. I know AU makes one but it seems like its 2k before shipping or install............

I have had my LRA in for awhile now. Works great and holds a total (main and aux) of 54 gallons. It rocks. I had it put in as the prototype in California after cruise moab then did the Rubicon a few months later. Drove to CO and left it, then did Ouray for Fj Summit that year, then drove home. It was great! It is awesome to cruise from ATL to St. Louis on a single fill. lol

Vlad - can you expound a bit on which tank you have, where sourced, and the investment? Sounds like 21 gal, nearly doubling the volume! Cool. Is it thick aluminum or is it steel, (or come with a skid plate/option for one)? Love to look at an option like this myself.

I have had my LRA in for awhile now. Works great and holds a total (main and aux) of 54 gallons. It rocks. I had it put in as the prototype in California after cruise moab then did the Rubicon a few months later. Drove to CO and left it, then did Ouray for Fj Summit that year, then drove home. It was great! It is awesome to cruise from ATL to St. Louis on a single fill. lol

How much did it cost you all said and done? I am thinking long term build for INTL travel and trying to determine how much $ I need to put into a GX to make it ready. I think long rage is a must for the terrible MPG of this car. @Vlad

^ What they said

It's the LRA tank from Long Range America (LRA). Google it. I got it, had it installed, and I was the prototype. Call and get a number of a local dealer/installer and get a quote. I am not a retail customer as I was the guy that found the tank and got the ball rolling.

Prices are on the website. It is a hair under $2k for the GX470 tank. I got a certified installer quote in Mesa, AZ for $500. I’m sure prices may vary by location, but this will get you in the ballpark.

Is anybody aware of someone who has had one custom built? Number one I think LRA price is overpriced. Secondly, I dont like how low it is. My local friend here who I want to do some trails with has a JLU with 35s and I dont trust my driving skills with that LRA on there not being damaged. I would much rather have only 15-20gal down there very neatly tucked away and then carry some rotopax or jerry cans if I knew I would need more than the 450+ range I would get from an extra 15-20gals underneath. Even if I only got 10MPG all said and done, 20 extra gals is 430 range. Plenty to have 24/7 and then bring some extra gals if you need it.

I was thinking to just buy a cheaper, smaller aux tank and then have someone custom build out the rest. I honestly dont know if it would be that expensive. If you are talking about 20gal vs 33gal from LRA, it should be THAT much smaller than a company should have an easy time fabricating/modding other tanks to get it to work since they will have so much more room to work with at 20gal vs 33gal.

Any thoughts?

Something like this. Toyota FJ Cruiser (2006-Curr) Aux 100l Fuel Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom