Builds 2003 LX470 Overland Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! I've been a LOOOOOOOOONG time lurker and I'm finally able to say I've joined the Land Cruiser family! I've wanted one for so long, I honestly can't even remember when it started (it had to have been over a decade ago)! Today I signed the paperwork on a 2003 Lexus LX470, two previous owners, both of which were in Texas. My main goal when hunting was to find as-close-to cosmetically perfect I could find with minor mechanical issues needing to be addressed. Well, I found that and more with this LX, having no rust (Texas life for all 17 years) and no mechanical leaks or issues whatsoever. The interior has a few blemishes here and there but they're so minuet, it's hard to call it a real issue.

My plans for the vehicle are to first and foremost, remove the running boards, and add wheels and tires. After that, we'll see where the trail takes me in terms of modifications, though I imagine rock sliders, and front/rear bumpers will be top priorities. I'll be reading all around the site and learning as much as I can about the 100s.

Cheers!
Mike

Then:
1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Now:
poughkeepsie.jpg

Rimrocker.jpg

Modification List

Armor etc:

BF Goodrich KM3 Mud Terrains (285/70r18)
ARB Deluxe bull bar (3413190)
Badlands 12k winch with synthetic rope
eBay replica Safari snorkel
Coastal Offroad sliders with kickout
Ironman 4x4 XT-71 270* awning
Harbor Freight cargo basket

Lighting:
Ironman 9" Meteor driving lights with running lights
ARB fog lights

Electrical:
Optima red top starter battery
100Ah Mighty Max Sealed Lead Acid house battery
Renogy 480 Watt 12V 40A DC to DC battery charger
500A battery monitor
BlueSea Systems fuse block

Mechanical:
DBA T3 slotted rear rotors
DBA brake pads
A ton of general maintenance to keep the truck running great

Interior:
Grom VLine2 Apple CarPlay interface
JBL 6" speakers in the front doors
Kicker 4.5" speakers in the rear doors
Skar subwoofer in OEM location
Ironman 4x4 40L water container
Shurflo water pump
Custom dual drawer setup with full kitchen
SetPower RV45S fridge/freezer

Accessories:
Camp Chef Everest 2 burner stove
Hi Lift farm style jack aka a death trap
Random knockoff traction boards
Ironman 4x4 solar heated shower
Ironman 4x4 bush toilet

Last edited:
Just got my tires installed on the truck. I hummed and hawed back and forth trying to determine if I should get all terrains or mud terrains, but based on how much trail use I'm expecting to give the LX, I decided on mud terrains; specifically 285/70r18 BF Goodrich KM3 mud terrains. So far I love the look, they handle at speed on TX highways pretty dang good, and the overall noise isn't really as bad as I expected out of a MT. I'll be stretching it's legs on some trails this Sunday and I'm really curious to see how it drives off road. For now it's just researching how to use ATRAC and making sure I understand everything about the truck. :steer:

I also decided to start establishing a power base for the truck as well, as I plan to add accessories like an ARB air pump, lights, winch, etc. Based on what my job has available in terms of tools in the shop, I'm going for a custom fuse box with a custom 3d Printed box. I still need to determine where the best space in the bay would be, along with a second battery and the air pump. If anyone has any suggestions for placement, I'm all ears!

IMG_3307.png

IMG_3314.png

IMG_3315.png

looks great ,same year/model I have. 03+ is the way to go.

Got to take the truck out to Twin Buttes Reservoir out in West Texas today. Didn't get to go out with any other cars so I didn't push too hard, but I was very impressed with how easily the truck did it's thing offroad! The trails were a bit tight so I got my fair share of Texas pinstripes but it's nothing too bad. :hillbilly:

ATRAC functioned great when I needed it, the OEM sliders (running boards ;)) only drug once briefly, and I never had to climb anything more than once! I'm definitely more determined now than ever to get sliders and replace the AHC out with OME suspension. The AHC didn't necessarily perform bad by any means, but I feel like the OME is going to be more reliable in the long run out on the trails, plus my driver front strut has been clunking since I got the truck.

Anyways, enough of my rambling, here's some photos, and I should have a video up soon! :steer:

Twin Buttes 27.09.2020 (2).png

Twin Buttes 27.09.2020 (3).png

Twin Buttes 27.09.2020 (4).png

Twin Buttes 27.09.2020 (6post).png

Twin Buttes 27.09.2020 (5).png

The video as promised. Nothing fancy but it'll buff!

I've been talking with my brother and we decided to take this truck out on a small overlanding trip across Texas after Christmas this year. I'm pretty excited as I've never done this before on my own, so the experience in planning it should be just as valuable as all the wheel time I'll be getting during it. My only main concern is the lack of another vehicle to be traveling with, so getting stuck or having mechanical issues is certainly something I'm taking into consideration

Last edited:
I received my Hi Lift jack and mounts to secure it to the factory roof rack for now. I figured I oughta be able to lift the truck and change a tire on the trail, and I can use the sliders I ordered from White Knuckle as a perfect lifting spot. I'm sure pictures will be coming soon!

Last edited:
IMG_3470.jpg

As mentioned heres a photo of the Hi-Lift installed. Nothing fancy but we had a dusting of snow down here in Texas so I took a photo. Trip planning is going well, looks like it'll be a short 4 day trip but it'll be worth the planning and effort. I can't wait!

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 21.46.26.png

I've got my 4 day trip through the center of Texas mapped out on Gaia GPS today. To say I'm excited to go on this trip is an understatement!

Nice dude. Keep us updated on the trip and your build

I’ll definitely keep posting, thanks for watching. Highlights of the trip along the route I chose will be Hidden Falls OHV, Northwest OHV, Lake Whitney dispersed camping, Davy Crockett Nat’l Forest, Sam Houston Nat’l Forest, and Texas Army Trail disc golf course

View attachment 2497951

I've got my 4 day trip through the center of Texas mapped out on Gaia GPS today. To say I'm excited to go on this trip is an understatement!

I am very interested in your trip. I also live and SA and struggle to find places to drive my LX off road. I have been to Hidden Falls once ( stayed on the easier trails) and plan on going back soon to push my comfort level a little more.

I am very interested in your trip. I also live and SA and struggle to find places to drive my LX off road. I have been to Hidden Falls once ( stayed on the easier trails) and plan on going back soon to push my comfort level a little more.

It’s definitely a struggle trying to find good places to offroad near SA. Apparently there’s an offroad park called Trees Ranch that’s right by Leakey TX (also close to Kerrville) so it’s definitely the closest designated OHV area to SA. I’ve never been but I see videos of people taking their rigs out all the time

It’s definitely a struggle trying to find good places to offroad near SA. Apparently there’s an offroad park called Trees Ranch that’s right by Leakey TX (also close to Kerrville) so it’s definitely the closest designated OHV area to SA. I’ve never been but I see videos of people taking their rigs out all the time

Thanks for the tip, I will have to check it out. Won't have to look for long, we are moving back CO next year.

Thanks for the tip, I will have to check it out. Won't have to look for long, we are moving back CO next year.
Oh right on, where at? I'm actually moving up to the Denver area early next year

Oh right on, where at? I'm actually moving up to the Denver area early next year

Denver, Fort Collins or Monument. We were going up there this week but rescheduled for Christmas because of increase in COVID.
We use to live in Denver but not sure it's the same as it was when we left in 2003.

Denver, Fort Collins or Monument. We were going up there this week but rescheduled for Christmas because of increase in COVID.
We use to live in Denver but not sure it's the same as it was when we left in 2003.
Colorado is still cool. Denver has gotten more crowded and in general there are a metric sh1t ton more people out in the mountains than in 2003. I try to get weekdays off for adventures, make reservations to camp, go early/late and drive farther than the average person to recreate.

6836FB4B-5EC4-4FD9-A61A-1DB7549C1C6B.jpeg

I got some recovery goodies this week! Kinetic rope and some soft shackles, just in case I get stuck, or need to get someone else unstuck

Nice rig. Can you share the details about the Hi-Lift mounts? I am interested in those.

2FC4346D-A5D1-448F-948A-D34B76BB8659.jpeg

6C93959A-BFA9-4E8E-BF69-543E6F615C69.jpeg

E5A8853E-05F6-4774-8FE6-A2C418A322A3.jpeg

As you can see in the pictures, it’s a fairly simple mounting setup. There were two different lengths of those bottom “U” bolts that came with the setup, these being the longer ones. They were designed for a round bar like an aftermarket roof rack or arb front bumper setup, but they still work with the factory rails. When I tightened them down on the rack, they did indent the rails a little, but I’m not too worried about it since I plan to get an aftermarket rack at some point anyways. That being said, these are super sturdy, and I have checked for any looseness since I installed and it’s still as tight as when I installed it; no wiggling at all.

I got the mounting kit off of Amazon. It was called “Hi-Lift Jack TM-700 1”-2” Adjustable Tube Mount” and I got it for $52.24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom