2003 LC Tesla Screen Install Write-Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Camera is quite easy
Yeah, I'm making it hard by not wanting to drill into the tailgate to run the cables through, but it may come down to that anyway.

Also, I don't think the mfg (mine had ZhiFang on it) will update these with newer versions of Android. Their site doesn't seem to have any sort of support.

Two questions 1) If you go with this Android version does that eliminate the ability to do “car play”. 2) if the manufacturer doesn’t do updates will you lose ability to run apps as they get updated to new version to androids os?

Two questions 1) If you go with this Android version does that eliminate the ability to do “car play”. 2) if the manufacturer doesn’t do updates will you lose ability to run apps as they get updated to new version to androids os?
  1. I don't own any iProducts, so I'll let someone else answer this one.
  2. You won't lose the ability to update apps at all -- that's handled automatically by the Google Play Store. The newly released version with the PX6 processor and Android 8.1 is very fast and very stable; I haven't had any OS-related issues since day one, so no updates should be necessary.

I have CarPlay with my unit. Just buy a usb dongle($60.00) and plug it into one of the two usb supplied ports. You then download software for the dongle via your browser of choice on the radio. Easy/Peasy .Works great. I really don't use many android apps because I have car play.

1. I don't own any iProducts, so I'll let someone else answer this one.
  2. You won't lose the ability to update apps at all -- that's handled automatically by the Google Play Store. The newly released version with the PX6 processor and Android 8.1 is very fast and very stable; I haven't had any OS-related issues since day one, so no updates should be necessary.
Thanks Ell Ex

Ell Ex
Are you happy with the newer versión?
Everything is working good?
Sound, wires...?

I’ve got the older version and again around 20 seconds to start up and am very satisfied with speed of unit only slowed by car WiFi. I would recommend. I’m in the uk by the way

New poster here (have been a follower for a while) but seeing as this topic is tops on my list, figured I'd break my posting ice with a few questions (and yes I have looked through some of the other threads)...FYI - I've got an 04 LX so patiently waiting @BigLittle 's review/install instructions. That said, couple questions for the rest of the group re: these units:

1) Does this unit power off/on automatically? I have read some reviews in other threads that say the units stay powered up or have to be manually turned off. There was mention of a "timer" but nobody confirmed whether this was for sleep or full power down or what. Is there a way to make sure this thing doesn't stay powered on for an extended time after the are is turned off?

2) Does the unit dim automatically when the headlights turn on (i.e. night time)...if not, is there a work around (night mode button?)? If not, how bright is the unit...

Thanks...looking forward to contributing to the board.

Mine powers off automatically
I think it dims automatically but can’t confirm as it’s still summer so light at night
As fo instructions, I didn’t get any but there’s load of information in this forum

Mine comes on with ignition and turns off automatically as well.

Not sure about auto dimming, but the top left of the screen has a shortcut to preset brightness settings. Low, medium, full brightness. There is a setting that points to auto dimming (Day: full brightness, Night: half brightness) but I'm not sure how it works.

New poster here (have been a follower for a while) but seeing as this topic is tops on my list, figured I'd break my posting ice with a few questions (and yes I have looked through some of the other threads)...FYI - I've got an 04 LX so patiently waiting @BigLittle 's review/install instructions. That said, couple questions for the rest of the group re: these units:

1) Does this unit power off/on automatically? I have read some reviews in other threads that say the units stay powered up or have to be manually turned off. There was mention of a "timer" but nobody confirmed whether this was for sleep or full power down or what. Is there a way to make sure this thing doesn't stay powered on for an extended time after the are is turned off?

2) Does the unit dim automatically when the headlights turn on (i.e. night time)...if not, is there a work around (night mode button?)? If not, how bright is the unit...

Thanks...looking forward to contributing to the board.

Sorry, been a bit tied up in work lately. The install on the 04 LX470 radio went pretty easy. I took loads of pictures and will try to pull together a first draft install guide in the next week. Couple of notes on my install:

• My ML amp was toast and majority of the speakers had no foam left, so I'm installing new 4 Ohm 6.5" speakers on all four doors. This required making new speaker mounts for the rear doors.
  • I'm installing a new Alpine 4 channel amp and all new wiring for the amp (power, speaker wire, RCAs, etc). I have a 10" sub box & amp for the back when the jump seats are not in.
  • I'm removing the Toyota CD changer (& hopefully the rear radio control on the center console) and installing a dedicated Iphone port along with two high rate USB chargers for the kids in the back. Still debating on putting in a 120V inverter where the CD changer was.
  • The radio and AC controls worked great when I had the radio wired up to a temporary amp and speakers. Plug and play once you knew what cables went where.
  • Still need to work through the backup camera wiring for the factory camera. Need to check the posts on that further. (Ell Ex, any pointers?)
  • I was leery of the original LX470 trim offered from the sellers. After seeing Ell Ex's trim he got I highly recommend it. I cut my original wood trim down to fit, but it took much longer than expected and still isn't good enough for my tastes.
  • Bought mine through ZWNAV on aliexpress.com. Very quick delivery. The website said it was still in China when it arrived at my doorstep. Oddly enough the letter in the box came from Autostereo which was another seller with worse reviews. All the radios seem to be made by ZhiFang. They don't list the ZF-1301X on their website yet.
Here are the items I still working through with the seller:
  • I can get the wifihotspot to work with my Iphone, but cannot get Bluetooth to be recognized.
  • The ad claims it includes "built in carplay", but I cannot find any Carplay apps on the radio. I was going to buy a CarPlay USB from their website, but it said it was not compatible.
  • I would really like to buy the LX470 wood trim them offered Ell as I bought the Landcruiser kit.
I'm trying to install everything as a clean install, but a full amp and speaker gut along with other interior mods are not for the faint of heart and require patience. Here's what my luxury offroad vehicle looked like this weekend...

IMG_5121.jpg

Re: Carplay (and Android Auto)

You'll need to try to sideload an APK into the head unit to see if it will install. If it does install, then the USB dongle should work. Most of the sellers have instructions on what to download and how but i can provide instructions too. I have a dongle arriving today from Amazon that I'm testing. I have both an iPhone and Android phone so I'll update with results.

I also have a terrible ground buzz from the speakers and will probably have to go aftermarket for amp, etc.

In uk we don’t have carplay , what is it. I’ve enclosed a photo of my unit
Carplay and Android Auto are Apple's and Google's attempts to make a handsfree interface for phones that integrates into head units. The thought is that you plug your phone into the unit and get navigation, music, text to voice, Siri/Assistant through the car without having to deal with the historically awful factory interfaces as the phone is serving it up instead.

• Still need to work through the backup camera wiring for the factory camera. Need to check the posts on that further. (Ell Ex, any pointers?)
I installed an aftermarket camera with my head unit -- the factory camera's image is not HD, and it runs on a 6-volt power source instead of 12 volts. My understanding is that reusing it is possible with some modifications/splicing, but I chose not to go that route, as I'd rather have a camera from 2019 instead of 2006.

Looks like you're well into the project at this point. I'm planning to replace my ML amp and door speakers, and hopefully figure out a way to add a 10" or 12" subwoofer without compromising storage...not sure how successful I'll be with that part.

I'm also going to remove the CD changer like you did and replace it with a power inverter; never understood why they weren't included with these trucks, especially considering they were an option on 4Runners of the same period.

• My ML amp was toast and majority of the speakers had no foam left, so I'm installing new 4 Ohm 6.5" speakers on all four doors. This required making new speaker mounts for the rear doors.
  • I'm installing a new Alpine 4 channel amp and all new wiring for the amp (power, speaker wire, RCAs, etc). I have a 10" sub box & amp for the back when the jump seats are not in.
  • Bought mine through ZWNAV on aliexpress.com. Very quick delivery. The website said it was still in China when it arrived at my doorstep. Oddly enough the letter in the box came from Autostereo which was another seller with worse reviews. All the radios seem to be made by ZhiFang. They don't list the ZF-1301X on their website yet.
Questions for you:
  • What is the actual size of the rear door speakers? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere...even Crutchfield doesn't show any speakers as being compatible.
  • Are you putting your amp in the same location as the ML amp? And is the sub box just a simple cube, or is it a custom build?
I had the same experience as you on aliexpress -- the day after I bought the unit from ZWNav (who had good ratings), it was listed at the exact same URL by Autostereo. I get the sense that ZhiFang is the parent company of all the different sellers, and they just cycle through new names as the others get bogged down by poor ratings. I understand that there's a cultural and language barrier, but it seems to me that they'd be well served to hire a couple of native English speakers to handle customer service for US/CA/UK/AU/etc. I've had some extremely frustrating moments trying to communicate with them after the sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom