2002 LX470 - Considering Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evening --

I'm looking at purchasing a used 2002 LX470 via Craigslist and I wanted to get some input. The LX has 190K miles and was a one owner vehicle until about a year ago. It had AHC issues and the last owner purchased and replaced with a coil suspension, 2.5" lift and 1.25" wheel spaces (33" tires). I found the 1st owner's contact and messaged him and he stated that the motor and trans were good, but the issues were ABS booster pump needed, minor oil leak, and gas gauge "had a mind of it's own." I know very little regarding auto mechanics so I wanted to get some input, especially since I don't always trust what the craigslist owner is stating. The interior and exterior appears very clean and the Carfax is clean and shows good maintenance records.

On the ABS booster pump, would that be something that would've been addressed (or needed to be addressed) during the coil suspension replacement? Or is that a potential costly deferred maintenance issue here in the short term? Again, I don't know much on auto stuff and I've tried researching as much as possible. I'm less concerned (at the moment) on the oil leak and gas gauge issue as it appears those are less expensive issues to address. At least from Google research.

Any information or input is greatly appreciated.

Evening --

I'm looking at purchasing a used 2002 LX470 via Craigslist and I wanted to get some input. The LX has 190K miles and was a one owner vehicle until about a year ago. It had AHC issues and the last owner purchased and replaced with a coil suspension, 2.5" lift and 1.25" wheel spaces (33" tires). I found the 1st owner's contact and messaged him and he stated that the motor and trans were good, but the issues were ABS booster pump needed, minor oil leak, and gas gauge "had a mind of it's own." I know very little regarding auto mechanics so I wanted to get some input, especially since I don't always trust what the craigslist owner is stating. The interior and exterior appears very clean and the Carfax is clean and shows good maintenance records.

On the ABS booster pump, would that be something that would've been addressed (or needed to be addressed) during the coil suspension replacement? Or is that a potential costly deferred maintenance issue here in the short term? Again, I don't know much on auto stuff and I've tried researching as much as possible. I'm less concerned (at the moment) on the oil leak and gas gauge issue as it appears those are less expensive issues to address. At least from Google research.

Any information or input is greatly appreciated.

The ABS Booster failure is generally complete and immediate. The car is totally undriveable once it occurs. The fix is normally $2-3k, but some cheap fixes might be available pending what exactly failed. With any 100 series you probably need to start a "piggy bank" so that you're ready for that booster to fail. It's a rare Achilles heel in the 100 series (along with the heater tees).

If you plan on wrenching (you should!), a 100 series is a great investment. If you're going to pay somebody else to do everything a 100 series might be very expensive in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom