2002 LX470 Brakes - Christmas Tree Dash

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by brauski, Jan 8, 2018.

1. brauski

brauski

Just purchased my first LX, and it seems to not be the deal I thought it was. It has the ABS, VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, and BRAKE lights on the dash. Pedal is very stiff, and using two feet with full force yields about 50% of the braking force I get in my IS350. When I press the pedal and start the engine, the pedal goes stays in the same position. No noises at all.

Brought it to the shop back here in TX, and the guy at the shop (independent) is telling I have to replace some whole freaking unit (I'm sick, so I admit I wasn't paying as much attention as I normally would to the details of the call...until the cost...) at a cost of like $4000-4500 depending on whether I go Lexus or Toyota.

I knew this was gonna be outrageously expensive, but that seems excessive... I've been looking for part numbers tonight trying to find anything near that price. Trying to figure out if he's replacing more than he needs to, his supplier is expensive, or whatever is going on here. His shop has a great rep, so I don't think he's being malicious. Most expensive thing I part I can find in my searching is the
    "Brake Booster Assy, W/Master Cylinder" (47210L) at $2000-$2500.

I plan on calling him in the morning to get a part number and cross check it. Any experience out there?

2. Spike555

Spike555

Yeah, happens to all of thes trucks, the ABS pump is a electric motor and it goes bad, there are different ways of fixing it depending on your mechanical abilities.
    But that is the price of the part, $2000-2500.
    Sounds like he raping you on install though. Basically all you're doing is replacdeing the master cylinder, which is not a $2000 job.

Tons of threads on this. Tons. Like one on every page.

3. brauski

brauski

I didn't see anything specifically on the price or part, that's what I was looking for. Thanks man!

4. TXSunDevil

TXSunDevil SILVER Star

Sorry to hear about your new rig. Many members have chosen to get a rebuilt pump for around $400. Do a search for ABS booster pump on here.

5. Magikarp

Magikarp

6. Spike555

Spike555

No prob man, in those threads you will see part numbers and pricing and fixes etc.

7. hickuptruck

hickuptruck

Mhmmmm, standard 100-series achilles heal weakness is the ABS xmas light show.

Spike555 likes this.
  8. Slamd1958

Slamd1958

Media:
    This just happened to me this morning. I have only had my 2000 for 30 days.... ARGH.... Paid $8k for it then had the timing belt, water pump, all fluids changed etc for another $2k and now this.... I have been trying to read every post and just can't believe the prices for the new unit. The rebuilt units sound like the ticket but I am concerned I will buy these two items and then STILL have to replace the whole unit. It seems to be my luck when I buy a Landcruiser. Right after I bought my FJ80, the head gasket blew.... LOL

9. Spike555

Spike555

You have to remember that the parts for this are not being made anymore, so by the laws of supply and demand as the supply dwindles the price will increase.

I wold like to know the years that this effects. So far I've only noticed it on 2002 and older. But that does not mean that it's not going to happen on the newer ones.

It seems to me like a vary bad design. I have not heard of any other vehicle where the brakes are dependent on a electric motor.

geanes likes this.
  10. medtro

medtro

This provides reliable braking when engine stalls. Very clever idea.

11. Spike555

Spike555

Every other car does that manually though. Works everytime.

How often does a Land Cruiser engine just stall? This brake problem happens more than a engine stalling in my opinion.

I need to change my original answer, some medium duty diesel powered trucks has a electric motor for brakes because diesels do not use engine vacuum for anything.

12. ranma21

ranma21

Bear in my the newest 100 series is 11 years old now and the oldest 100 series is 20 yrs old. And most of the failures happen to early 100 series with high miles. I will not consider this weakness, just part of wear and maintenance part.

13. medtro

medtro

Hard to argue with safety feature. Do you need seat belt every day? Do you wear seat belt every day?

14. Spike555

Spike555

I do not consider this a safety feature.
    No.
    No.

15. TheForger

TheForger

You never wear your seat belt while driving....?

16. Spike555

Spike555

While working never. My work van also does not have a airbag or ABS.

In my personal vehicle it depends.

17. medtro

medtro

It shouldn't happen often and engine stalling usually doesn't come with warning or Christmas lights. One time would be too often for me. Here is an example where electric brake booster would be beneficial.

18. medtro

medtro

Hope you wear seat belt when you drive the 100 because it has a very bad design brake system.

19. brauski

brauski

Finally got the time to fix this thing. Turns out I wasn't getting the noise because the PO had disconnected the little speaker... Anyways, bought the whole assembly used from an auto recycler used for $1000 with a 1 year warranty (just like an OEM one) and rebuilt it before installing it just to be safe. The how to guide here was amazingly helpful.

No it's showing VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights when I start driving & throwing a C1336 code, so I guess its time to find a paperclip and do a zero point calibration. Other than that, it's great!

Thanks so much guys for all the help. You guys have already saved me $4000 and I've only owned my truck for 2 months!

Spike555 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.