2002 LX470 Brakes - Christmas Tree Dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just purchased my first LX, and it seems to not be the deal I thought it was. It has the ABS, VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, and BRAKE lights on the dash. Pedal is very stiff, and using two feet with full force yields about 50% of the braking force I get in my IS350. When I press the pedal and start the engine, the pedal goes stays in the same position. No noises at all.

Brought it to the shop back here in TX, and the guy at the shop (independent) is telling I have to replace some whole freaking unit (I'm sick, so I admit I wasn't paying as much attention as I normally would to the details of the call...until the cost...) at a cost of like $4000-4500 depending on whether I go Lexus or Toyota.

I knew this was gonna be outrageously expensive, but that seems excessive... I've been looking for part numbers tonight trying to find anything near that price. Trying to figure out if he's replacing more than he needs to, his supplier is expensive, or whatever is going on here. His shop has a great rep, so I don't think he's being malicious. Most expensive thing I part I can find in my searching is the
"Brake Booster Assy, W/Master Cylinder" (47210L) at $2000-$2500.

I plan on calling him in the morning to get a part number and cross check it. Any experience out there?

Yeah, happens to all of thes trucks, the ABS pump is a electric motor and it goes bad, there are different ways of fixing it depending on your mechanical abilities.
But that is the price of the part, $2000-2500.
Sounds like he raping you on install though. Basically all you're doing is replacdeing the master cylinder, which is not a $2000 job.

Tons of threads on this. Tons. Like one on every page.

I didn't see anything specifically on the price or part, that's what I was looking for. Thanks man!

Sorry to hear about your new rig. Many members have chosen to get a rebuilt pump for around $400. Do a search for ABS booster pump on here.

I didn't see anything specifically on the price or part, that's what I was looking for. Thanks man!

No prob man, in those threads you will see part numbers and pricing and fixes etc.

Mhmmmm, standard 100-series achilles heal weakness is the ABS xmas light show.

This just happened to me this morning. I have only had my 2000 for 30 days.... ARGH.... Paid $8k for it then had the timing belt, water pump, all fluids changed etc for another $2k and now this.... I have been trying to read every post and just can't believe the prices for the new unit. The rebuilt units sound like the ticket but I am concerned I will buy these two items and then STILL have to replace the whole unit. It seems to be my luck when I buy a Landcruiser. Right after I bought my FJ80, the head gasket blew.... LOL

You have to remember that the parts for this are not being made anymore, so by the laws of supply and demand as the supply dwindles the price will increase.

I wold like to know the years that this effects. So far I've only noticed it on 2002 and older. But that does not mean that it's not going to happen on the newer ones.

It seems to me like a vary bad design. I have not heard of any other vehicle where the brakes are dependent on a electric motor.

This provides reliable braking when engine stalls. Very clever idea.

Every other car does that manually though. Works everytime.

How often does a Land Cruiser engine just stall? This brake problem happens more than a engine stalling in my opinion.

I need to change my original answer, some medium duty diesel powered trucks has a electric motor for brakes because diesels do not use engine vacuum for anything.

Mhmmmm, standard 100-series achilles heal weakness is the ABS xmas light show.

Bear in my the newest 100 series is 11 years old now and the oldest 100 series is 20 yrs old. And most of the failures happen to early 100 series with high miles. I will not consider this weakness, just part of wear and maintenance part.

How often does a Land Cruiser engine just stall? This brake problem happens more than a engine stalling in my opinion.

I need to change my original answer, some medium duty diesel powered trucks has a electric motor for brakes because diesels do not use engine vacuum for anything.

Hard to argue with safety feature. Do you need seat belt every day? Do you wear seat belt every day?

Hard to argue with safety feature. Do you need seat belt every day? Do you wear seat belt every day?

I do not consider this a safety feature.
No.
No.

It shouldn't happen often and engine stalling usually doesn't come with warning or Christmas lights. One time would be too often for me. Here is an example where electric brake booster would be beneficial.

1. While going up the steepest hill I could fine I had a boo-boo. Here is the info I have and please see if you folks have any suggestions as too what went wrong and what needs to be fixed. I was in 4LOW, tires at 18#, CDL was OFF and I just tooled up the incline. Everything was going fine, I was butt puckered for sure but there was no issue whatsoever...UNTIL...

The tires juuust started to lose traction because there is some loose dirt/sand towards the top. I could hear the tires start to spin and then I started sliding backwards. Now I thought it was because I was losing traction so I tap on the throttle. Nothing. Turns out the freaking truck stalled...at the top of the hill and like it was in neutral just started rolling backwards...FAST. I stepped on the brakes. Nothing. I stood on the brakes, literally NOTHING until I was on flat. I was eyes pinned to the rearview mirror the whole time making sure I stayed in a straight line without over correcting to prevent a roll. WTF was that. I figured something is up. Maybe it was me doing something wrong. I forgot about the CDL but still it shouldn't have done that. Then Randy took his 62 and crawled right up, over and back down again like nothing. And I was like, "F that!". So I tried it again. Up, up, no problem, and then it happens AGAIN!!! This time I give it more throttle to keep it going. Nothing. It stops and shuts off and then it goes into "neutral" again and this time I had to take a different line going backwards and I went airborne, backwards, onto some brush and rocks which took out my running board and luckily missed my transfer case and cats.

Finally got the time to fix this thing. Turns out I wasn't getting the noise because the PO had disconnected the little speaker... Anyways, bought the whole assembly used from an auto recycler used for $1000 with a 1 year warranty (just like an OEM one) and rebuilt it before installing it just to be safe. The how to guide here was amazingly helpful.

No it's showing VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights when I start driving & throwing a C1336 code, so I guess its time to find a paperclip and do a zero point calibration. Other than that, it's great!

Thanks so much guys for all the help. You guys have already saved me $4000 and I've only owned my truck for 2 months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom