Builds 2002 HZJ76 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@JDM Journeys this makes 3 of us dealing with air getting in somewhere down the lines.

Good luck @Rigster! I’m sure your efforts will not be for not!

Where did you guys order line from?
Mine's coming from amazon. Evil Energy brand I think?

Air in our diesels. Its a Canadian epidemic! :bang:

Oh for the rubber hose, I picked it up from gilberts, but any auto parts place should have it, make sure you specify you want the diesel fuel line. Regular fuel line will degrade sooner

Are we haha I’ll assume all three of us will be changing the clamps. Using factory OEM clamps or finding local?

Are we haha I’ll assume all three of us will be changing the clamps. Using factory OEM clamps or finding local?
Depending where you go, some places only carry SAE sizes, so the most important thing is to make sure you get the diesel fuel line, but if metric is not available, try 7/16'' or 3/8'' for supply and 5/16'' for the return, that is what I got. It would actually be cheaper to run that from the tank to the filter housing (with new hangers), but the hard lines are not crazy expensive, so I went with those.

I went with a bunch of the worm gear clamps, ordered a kit with various sizes from amazon

Finally, some definitive progress. I worked on the tank a bit after work today to clean it up and get the screw heads cleaned up and replace the sending unit (had one already) and take out the pickup.

The tank is surprisingly clean on the inside, the pickup filter was clean. However when I vacuum tested the supply pickup line, there is a small pinhole where the bend is on it on the top/outside of the tank. Unfortunately, there really is no way to inspect it or test it without tearing the whole tank out. Unfortunately they only made an access point for the sender and not one for the pickup.

Order all your parts ahead of time. Remember to buy new hanger straps and bolts (I snapped one off).
20230206_160422[1].jpg

I broke the return off pulling the tank, but you can still see where I scratched a line in the base of the supply tube -- that is where there was a small air leak. Enough fuel seeped out in that area since September(when I noticed this started) and it ate away at the rubberized coating in that area. I will need to clean it up and POR it or something.

The new sending unit I picked up has a different plug on it. There is a white wire with black stripe, and a yellow wire with a red stripe. The original sending unit has 3 wires - a white with black stripe, a yellow with red stripe and a yellow with blue stripe. I have not had a chance to actually look at the wiring diagrams, but I was thinking I should be able to just hook up the like wires? Unless of course I would need to change out the gauge as well...
20230206_171654[1].jpg

20230206_171722[1].jpg

Hopefully this helps the two JDM's from canada also dealing with air in the fuel, but I hope yours are easier to locate and mitigate. Now I will research cleaning diesel fuel residue to prep for paint, the electrical diagrams for plug options while I wait for my parts to arrive.

Last edited:
Finally, some definitive progress. I worked on the tank a bit after work today to clean it up and get the screw heads cleaned up and replace the sending unit (had one already) and take out the pickup.

The tank is surprisingly clean on the inside, the pickup filter was clean. However when I vacuum tested the supply pickup line, there is a small pinhole where the bend is on it on the top/outside of the tank. Unfortunately, there really is no way to inspect it or test it without tearing the whole tank out. Unfortunately they only made an access point for the sender and not one for the pickup.

Order all your parts ahead of time. Remember to buy new hanger straps and bolts (I snapped one off).
View attachment 3241472
I broke the return off pulling the tank, but you can still see where I scratched a line in the base of the supply tube -- that is where there was a small air leak. Enough fuel seeped out in that area since September(when I noticed this started) and it ate away at the rubberized coating in that area. I will need to clean it up and POR it or something.

The new sending unit I picked up has a different plug on it. There is a white wire with black stripe, and a yellow wire with a red stripe. The original sending unit has 3 wires - a white with black stripe, a yellow with red stripe and a black with yellow stripe. I have not had a chance to actually look at the wiring diagrams, but I was thinking I should be able to just hook up the like wires? Unless of course i would need to change out the gauge as well...
View attachment 3241482

View attachment 3241484
Hopefully this helps the two JDM's from canada also dealing with air in the fuel, but I hope yours are easier to locate and mitigate. Now I will research cleaning diesel fuel residue to prep for paint, the electrical diagrams for plug options while I wait for my parts to arrive.
Oooph. I applaud your dedication to the hunt of the issue.

From what I recall I replaced the sender/float as well when I picked up my “new to me” 7X series tank. It also had 3 prong which differed from my tank that came with the truck. It was not direct plug and play like I had hoped.

As of lately my truck has been running like a top. Been up to the Mtn twice and no chugging or blowing of white smoke… I don’t get it. Of course I order to parts and then it drives and runs the way it should.

F820002C-911D-4574-97FD-BE71552FE47B.jpeg

My truck from what I recall and three which then went to two wires (or the reverse I can’t recall). Either way it didn’t work when I plugged it in. I eventually snipped it and hard wired it with the proper connection.

I didn’t realize there were as many variants of floats/senders. Who knew. Not me.

Oooph. I applaud your dedication to the hunt of the issue.

From what I recall I replaced the sender/float as well when I picked up my “new to me” 7X series tank. It also had 3 prong which differed from my tank that came with the truck. It was not direct plug and play like I had hoped.

As of lately my truck has been running like a top. Been up to the Mtn twice and no chugging or blowing of white smoke… I don’t get it. Of course I order to parts and then it drives and runs the way it should.

View attachment 3241493

My truck from what I recall and three which then went to two wires (or the reverse I can’t recall). Either way it didn’t work when I plugged it in. I eventually snipped it and hard wired it with the proper connection.

I didn’t realize there were as many variants of floats/senders. Who knew. Not me.
Well heck Garrett, with talent like that, when it comes time to rebuild the motor, just order one online and then it will run perfect again! :rofl:

Ok seriously, you indicate you went from a 3 wire to a 2 wire as well, did you end up wiring it like I suggested? Put like wire to like wire and you were good? I should have some time tomorrow to peruse lines in the wiring diagrams.... :cheers:

View attachment 3241472

The new sending unit I picked up has a different plug on it. There is a white wire with black stripe, and a yellow wire with a red stripe. The original sending unit has 3 wires - a white with black stripe, a yellow with red stripe and a black with yellow stripe. I have not had a chance to actually look at the wiring diagrams, but I was thinking I should be able to just hook up the like wires? Unless of course i would need to change out the gauge as well...
View attachment 3241482

View attachment 3241484
Wow Darren. Good work! So good to find a definite answer finally. This should fix it for real! So you bought the pickup as a full unit? Plus lines going into it?

Wow Darren. Good work! So good to find a definite answer finally. This should fix it for real! So you bought the pickup as a full unit? Plus lines going into it?
The pickup is one part, and the screen filter inside the tank is another. The pickup is setup similar as the sender, but instead of wires coming out of the bolt on plate on the tank you have a fuel pickup and return line.

I do not have the parts in yet, but I can check my order tomorrow and I will post all the part numbers

Well heck Garrett, with talent like that, when it comes time to rebuild the motor, just order one online and then it will run perfect again! :rofl:

Ok seriously, you indicate you went from a 3 wire to a 2 wire as well, did you end up wiring it like I suggested? Put like wire to like wire and you were good? I should have some time tomorrow to peruse lines in the wiring diagrams.... :cheers:
Haha 😂 no talent. Just dumb luck.

Yeah something like that or rather something like this picture.

ED1FC1F6-B4F4-47AC-B5CF-DD82184B0B22.jpeg

Ok, so for a full listing of parts that I have ordered over the time I have been troubleshooting this issue (from partsouq):

2338017451CAP ASSY, FUEL (filter housing and primer pump)Toyota
223906A511SOLENOID ASSY, FUEL CUTToyota
7701760630TUBE SUB-ASSY FUEL (supply and return lines at the tank)Toyota137.20$
7702336010FILTER SUB-ASSY, FUEL SUCTION TUBEToyota14.81$
7716914020GASKET (FOR FUEL TANK SUCTION TUBE)Toyota12.41$
9161161020BOLT (FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE CASE PROTECTOR)Toyota100.84$
93319A4010SCREW, W/WASHERToyota50.47$

SWITCH LEVEL (plastic water separator for fuel filter)Toyota1
7701160180PIPE SUB-ASSY, FUEL TANK FILLER, LOWERToyota116.52$
9015950219SCREW, W/WASHERToyota100.54$
7717820010GASKET, FUEL TANK FILLER PIPE, LOWERToyota12.43$
7716914020GASKET (FOR FUEL TANK SUCTION TUBE)Toyota12.41$
93319A4010SCREW, W/WASHERToyota100.47$

From MEGAZIP AAKA(also affectionately known as) MEGADELAY:
Hose Or Pipe, Fuel(For Injection Pump To Fuel Filter), Toyota
23271-17150
US $16.861 pc.US $16.86
Diaphragm(For Boost Compensator), Toyota
22542-54260
US $3.681 pc.US $3.68
Gasket, Fuel Tank Vent, Toyota
77169-14020
US $2.941 pc.US $2.94
Filter Sub-Assy, Fuel Suction Tube, Toyota
77023-36010
US $5.031 pc.US $5.03
Tube Sub-Assy, Fuel Main, Toyota
77205-6A190
US $64.401 pc.US $64.40Replaced with P/N 77205-6A191
Tube Sub-Assy, Fuel Main, No.2, Toyota
77206-60120
US $52.131 pc.US $52.13Replaced with P/N 77206-60121
Hose, Fuel, No.1 (For Return Tube, No.2), Toyota
77259-60520
US $6.651 pc.US $6.65sold out
Hose, Fuel, No.2 (For Main Tube, No.1), Toyota
95332-10020
US $6.261 pc.US $6.26
Tube Sub-Assy, Fuel Main, No.2, Toyota
77206-60121
US $52.131 pc.US $52.13
Tube Sub-Assy, Fuel Main, Toyota
77205-6A191
US $64.401 pc.US $64.40
NUT, Toyota
90179-06080
US $0.432 pcs.US $0.86
Hose Or Pipe, Fuel(For Injection Pump To Fuel Filter), Toyota
95332-10030
US $9.452 pcs.US $18.90
Clip(For Ventilation Tube), Toyota
96132-41500
US $0.496 pcs.US $2.94
Clip (For Hose), Toyota
96132-51100
US $0.556 pcs.US $3.30

Additionally, since some the 'rubber fuel lines' seem to be NLA, I picked up diesel fuel line locally as noted above, and a whole kit of worm gear clamps. This should hopefully help with others needed to refresh their respective 76/77's arteries. :cheers:

Last edited:
Well well well, after a long 75 days/2 1/2 months of impatiently waiting for my megazip order, it finally arrived last night. Now I just need to wait for my recent partsouq order for the tank related parts but they have already shipped and said it should be at my door in a week.
20230208_081146.jpg

As per yuge... I have limited time and opportunities to work on my li'l buddy when I have a wife and 4 kids that I make a priority. I managed to work on it last night for a few hours.

I was able to get all the new lines installed from the filter housing back. The one thing I noticed that I would like to note for others was the OEM rubber fuel lines that DID show up... well... I didn't end up using as I found the GATES multifuel/biofuel/diesel fuel line felt heavier, thicker, less flimsy and overall better quality. I bought extra, so I just used that. I still double clamped everything.

I also managed to drill and tap the one bolt I snapped off of the tank hanger straps. I also removed/unbolted the rear pin hangers because the pins themselves were seized up. I have them sitting in some soup to de-grunge and free up. Sorry for the lack of pictures... time was of the essence, and the lighting poor out there in the shop.

Not sure when I will have a chance to return to the work on the cruiser as it is my wife's birthday this weekend, but last night my middle son was asking about my previous land cruisers, and what one(s) I preferred, etc. Well, any self respecting cruiser-head needs no further prompting, so we dove into some old pictures I had in a box and I regaled him tall tales of terrific terror, and even some truthful ones of adventures over the years.

I thought some other cruiser-heads would at least appreciate some eye-candy... keep in mind these are some pretty old photos scanned into digital format.

This was the first land cruiser I purchased, I recall driving past this one sitting in a back yard for months, perhaps even a year before I decided to walk up and bang on the door to ask if they wanted to sell it... (yes that IS an actual canvass tent)
1981 BJ42 (3B Diesel -- no turbo)
first_81_40-1.jpg

Next up was another 1981 BJ42 (3B Diesel -- no turbo)
81_RED_40-1.jpg

81_RED_40-2.jpg

Not long after that I found this 1982 BJ42 (3B Diesel -- no turbo) but PO had taken the trouble to put in an h55:
82_BLUE_40-1.jpg

I obviously had a thing for solid billet aluminium rims!! lol

Took the 82 down to the baja, on the way of course we had to stop in Nevada for a photo op, cue the U2 music, lol Below pic was the cruiser trying to fit in Beverly hills
82_BLUE_40.jpg

One of the only things I miss about the 40 series, the summer day cruises!! below is my 1985 BJ60 (3B Diesel -- no turbo)
85_BEIGE_60.jpg

Then of course this picture of the last 40 I had, another 1981 BJ42

last_42_cruiser.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom