Builds 2002 HZJ76 Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Waiting on the parts from Dave in Japan for the winch. I did get around to changing out the oil in the winch (it still looked like new).

I still need to pull the bumper and weld in the mounting plate for the winch into it.

I still need to replace the clutch with the HD one.

But I have been busy with other projects on the go... had to replace the seat adjustment valve in my 97 Mack crane truck and move a log house last weekend, and I also replaced the valve cover gasket in my 05 TDI (camshaft looks great!)
52237[1].jpeg

I also retarded the fuel timing since I now have the intercooler installed for the turbo (I had previously advanced it). Heading out on a trip this weekend, will see how it all performs!

Ok, another update!

I had some time over the weekend to pull the ARB bumper and figure out what to do about getting the Toyota factory electric winch mounted. The primary mount points for the winch consists of 8 bolts on the bottom to a plate bolted to the frame. I removed this plate and had to grind about 1/16 of an inch off each side so it would fit into the ARB:
20220716_082203.jpg

Once I had the plate fitted and aligned, I marked the positioning and resisted the cringe factor and took to grinding the new bumper's powder coating off so I could weld the plate into place.
20220716_093656.jpg

In my new place, I am going to have to install a 20amp breaker for my MIG, as doing steel this thick is about the max the 120V MIG will handle and I would just get started with a good flow and the breaker would pop... grrr! I could only get maybe an inch of a weld and it would pop. So back and forth, and inch at a time with excessive splatter from so many stops and starts.

Ah well, it's the end result that counts right? Cleaned it all up again with a wire wheel and put on 3 separate coats of POR-15 and let it dry overnight before tackling the install of the winch.
20220716_142720.jpg

I am still waiting on the replacement post, insulator, nuts and washers from Dave in Japan, so I will have to finish up the electrical connections for the winch with it installed. In the meantime, I think some overzealous factory worker overtightened the bolts for the winch, as every set of threads need to be cleaned out on the aluminum housing and the bolts themselves. I ended up using 4 NEW bolts on the back 4, as these take the brunt of the strain when the winch is in use. I also made the threads slight larger in diameter. High strength bolts were used for these as well.
20220717_083906[1].jpg

Cleaning up the bolts for the winch (the ones that were still good enough to reuse):
20220717_084418[2].jpg

Bolts and holes are threaded to M10x1.25 pitch thread (the smaller sized ones) if they are salvageable...

Incidentally, I found that you can buy the POR-15 in convenient smaller single use sizes. I bought the larger can before, and you have to be so careful not to get any of it on the rim or lid or you will never get it open again. I literally tore the can open trying to get the lid off. These smaller sizes allow you to use it in smaller batches, and do not cost a whole lot more that the larger can. (volume wise)
20220716_093839[1].jpg

Once the paint dried, I test fitted the winch, then pulled it out again, as I really did not feel like a superhero this weekend and did not want to lift the whole bumper and winch to install it. It was bad enough reinstalling the bumper with the extra 20lb plate I welded in.
20220717_090526[1].jpg

Things lined up pretty well, but from the above picture, the right side of the winch cable reel is almost an inch over from the opening on the bumper. Not a huge deal with a decent fairlead roller, but if a long pull is required, then it may struggle to wind up all nice and even. I suspect after every use, I will need to carefully rewind the winch cable. Though a person should do this anyways, this will make it mandatory for me. I figure it is a small price to pay since the new WARN winch I like is $5000. You can also see on the top right, I had to notch the support bracket of the bumper to allow room for the planetary gear housing.
Installed again on the Cruiser:
20220717_124154[1].jpg

Now I just need to wait on the new power post from Dave (he said all the parts are in but one, then he will be shipping it out.)

When you received the post please take so pictures of the connection I want to see :)
This big boy is sharp with the new bumper thanks for the update

Nothing major to report... got the fairlead roller for the ARB in, will probably install that on the weekend as well as do an oil change as it is due.

In other news, I thought it would be neat to share a photo of a new 80 series that has been added to the Land Cruiser family here:
20220729_070237.jpg

LOL - my 12 year old son saw this in the dollar store and decided to buy it for me... I thought it quite thoughtful of him. :)

@Rigster what would be the dimensions of the hole for the PDI passage? I am look to prepare before painting I am gonna buy a metal hole saw

The condenser was what brand?

Thanks a million
I had a huge scare that PDI had not included the bag of goodies with all the nuts, bolts, clamps and the fitting for the air conditioning compressor to mate up with the new hose they provide. Fortunately I managed to find it dropped down between some items in the shop, it must have fallen out when pulling stuff out of the box! 😰

Painted the frame and holes I made for the intercooler to make sure there is no exposed metal
View attachment 3026126

I was delayed by having to retap some holes, replace nuts, but was able to finally get the intercooler installed!!

I had a heck of a time with relocating the air dryer with the headlight washing system... I was concerned that I may have to pull it all out. They tell you to put the air dryer in the location where the washer bottle for the headlights is. Additionally, the headlight washer lines run along the lower bib support right where the intercooler rests. Fortunately I was able to mount the new dryer on the forward battery tray support,

@Rigster what would be the dimensions of the hole for the PDI passage? I am look to prepare before painting I am gonna buy a metal hole saw

Thanks a million
The piping for the intercooler is 2.5'' so if you pick up a 3'' hole saw you should be good. If by condenser you mean dryer, I just picked up a generic one at an auto parts store. I picked one about the same size and dimensions as the original. Hope that helps!

Thanks a million
Oh, btw, you may not be able to use a hole saw now that I think about it a little more. I originally was thinking the same way and when I actually got down in there up close to do the work, the holes for the intercooler pipes is right where an existing smaller hole already exists, so nothing to drill into for a pilot hole. I ended up using a dremel.

Thanks 🙏🏻 I have in the garage I will check it out ! Need to removed everything for paint prepping appreciate the feedback as always 👍🏻

A348BC97-2735-482A-852B-7FF3F7933A08.jpeg

Last edited:
Dependable Dave Stedman from Japan4x4 has finally shipped my replacement post for the winch, so this is great news before my yearly 2 week expedition into the backcountry of BC at the end of the month. As we all know, if I gave Murphy the chance with a non-functional winch, this would be the year I would need it!

I changed the oil and greased things up. The oil drops under the Land Cruiser are from the oil change... lol. No leaks!! I replaced the OEM Toyota winch hook with one with a safety catch, and installed the new fairlead rollers:
20220809_134429[1].jpg

20220809_134439[1].jpg

I have also been putting a little bit of time into my expedition trailer making it a little more homey... building a cabinet and shelving up front. I still have some more work to the shelving, but it is coming along.
20220810_190157[1].jpg

Looking forward to this years trip! I will be leaving the 31st, and back on the 13th... well, provided I don't get lost. 🤪

Some great holiday well deserved enjoy take some pictures of the back country it’s gorgeous out there

Woohoo! Got some parts in from Japan4x4:
20220817_201032[1].jpg

Those are all the parts needed to replace the positive post on the OEM AISIN electric winch. It will be good to have an operational winch for the 2 week backcountry expedition.

I did an EGR delete on the Jetta TDI yesterday. Still need to program the ECU so it ignores the fact it is not there... I can up the HP and torque at the same time. Wondering on a 300,000km/180,000mile engine which upgrade I should do. I am leaning to the easy one/considering the 2nd one:

1 - 25% increase HP/Torque, 10-15% increase in fuel efficiency 124HP
2 - 50% increase HP/Torque, 10-15% increase in fuel efficiency 150HP
3 - 75% increase HP/Torque, 10-15% increase in fuel efficiency 175HP
4 - 100% increase HP/Torque, 10-15% increase in fuel efficiency 200HP

Stock the engine comes with 100HP. Maybe @AirheadNut will have a word or two on this as he an his bro I believe are nigh on TDI gurus having squeezed one into a PRADO with some very good results.

Got the trailer shelves in and have started stocking the trailer with the gear and supplies!

I had an evening to myself last night so I proceeded to put the new post in the winch and test everything out.

20220818_172442[1].jpg

On the ARB bumper, the winch sits a little bit farther out, so the ground wire did not reach to the original mount on the front of the winch, so I moved it to the electric motor mount on the side closest to the grill:
20220818_173132[1].jpg

All closed up and ready for testing:
20220818_173813[1].jpg

I unraveled the winch line completely, and rewrapped it using the motor, all worked well. Ready for the expedition!! :cheers:

Woohoo! Got some parts in from Japan4x4:
View attachment 3090235

Those are all the parts needed to replace the positive post on the OEM AISIN electric winch. It will be good to have an operational winch for the 2 week backcountry expedition.

I did an EGR delete on the Jetta TDI yesterday. Still need to program the ECU so it ignores the fact it is not there... I can up the HP and torque at the same time. Wondering on a 300,000km/180,000mile engine which upgrade I should do. I am leaning to the easy one/considering the 2nd one:

1 - 25% increase HP/Torque, 10-15% increase in fuel efficiency 124HP
2 - 50% increase HP/Torque, 10-15% increase in fuel efficiency 150HP
3 - 75% increase HP/Torque, 10-15% increase in fuel efficiency 175HP
4 - 100% increase HP/Torque, 10-15% increase in fuel efficiency 200HP

Stock the engine comes with 100HP. Maybe @AirheadNut will have a word or two on this as he an his bro I believe are nigh on TDI gurus having squeezed one into a PRADO with some very good results.

Got the trailer shelves in and have started stocking the trailer with the gear and supplies!
I think anything over option 1 will require an upgraded turbo, probably a VNT-17. The stock KP-39 turbo won't reliably handle the boost levels required to make 150+hp. You will probably need a 3 bar MAP and VR6 or other high performance clutch for the higher tunes, too. Who are you planning on getting a tune from?

I think anything over option 1 will require an upgraded turbo, probably a VNT-17. The stock KP-39 turbo won't reliably handle the boost levels required to make 150+hp. You will probably need a 3 bar MAP and VR6 or other high performance clutch for the higher tunes, too. Who are you planning on getting a tune from?
Thanks bud! This is good information, and I will just go with the stage one then. I was looking at the tunezilla tunes. Know of any better or cheaper (or both?)

Hello,

Once the upgrade is ready, be careful with your right foot.

Just saying...

Juan

Thanks bud! This is good information, and I will just go with the stage one then. I was looking at the tunezilla tunes. Know of any better or cheaper (or both?)
Tunezilla (Malone Tuning) is where I got my tune; I've been very happy with the results and the service. KermaTDI is the other big name in the business with a great reputation also. Perhaps Malone has a different tune catalog for the Canadian market, but the tunes I see for the BEW/BRM engines are Stage 1 at 124hp/227tq, Stage 1.5 at 130hp/239tq and Stage 2 at 140hp/252tq before any other upgrades are necessary. Stage 4 is where injectors, MAP, clutch and turbo have to be changed out. I would recommend going with the Stage 2 and just planning to take it easy on your stock clutch. I haven't driven a VW with a tune on it but can only imagine how it would scoot based on the performance I get out of the Prado.

Tunezilla (Malone Tuning) is where I got my tune; I've been very happy with the results and the service. KermaTDI is the other big name in the business with a great reputation also. Perhaps Malone has a different tune catalog for the Canadian market, but the tunes I see for the BEW/BRM engines are Stage 1 at 124hp/227tq, Stage 1.5 at 130hp/239tq and Stage 2 at 140hp/252tq before any other upgrades are necessary. Stage 4 is where injectors, MAP, clutch and turbo have to be changed out. I would recommend going with the Stage 2 and just planning to take it easy on your stock clutch. I haven't driven a VW with a tune on it but can only imagine how it would scoot based on the performance I get out of the Prado.
I wanted to follow up on this and let you know that I decided to just go with the stage 1 after all, primarily because my oldest son wants to buy the TDI from me as his first car when he turns 17 (this Feb). While I know I can control my urges with my right foot, my 17 year old self was less inclined to do so at that time, so I can only surmise that my 17 year old son would equally be less inclined to do so. As it is, I flashed the ecu yesterday and the EGR code/engine light was removed and with 25 more HP, I can't put my right foot to the floor or it is spinning the front tires from take off. It has just enough pep that pulling out onto the highway in the summers is not so onerous as it once was.

So I wanted to say, thank you very much @AirheadNut for your valuable input from your experience with modifying your TDI, it is greatly appreciated and helped me to make a good choice.

My son doesn't know this, but I just plan to give him the TDI when he turns 17, but I made him research the value of the TDI, and come back to me with an offer and if it was the right amount then I would sell him the car, and if it was not in the ballpark of its true value, then I wouldn't. He did well, so he is getting it, so I told him to save for the car, then save the same amount for the insurance, and an extra $1000 for maintenance/repairs in case the car needs anything. So he should be set for a while. I still plan to get another one, and the EGR delete and ECU upgrade would be something I would do again right away on the next TDI I get.

Ok, so back to today's scheduled programming... I KNOW I read somewhere that some people have issues with their rigs overheating... usually it is the PRADO's with the KZ motor in them, but I have read where some folks with the HZ have some issues with running too hot.

Thankfully this Land Cruiser was not one of them, but I have noticed, after intercooling the turbo, on a really hot day (30C+/86F+), with the AC running, and working the cruiser pretty hard (lot's of hill climbing while maintaining 120km/h, or pulling a trailer) the engine temperature starts climbing. What I figure is causing this is the simple fact that the RAD is now 3rd in line for the precious cooling wind coming at it through the front grill. The intercooler gets it first and this is quite noticeable as I can keep my foot into it and the EG's never seem to go above 1150F. Then the AC condenser is next in line for the air, and finally, after it has been twice warmed, the radiator is last in line.

For now, I can cope with this by turning off the AC and downshifting to raise the RPM's and lighten the right foot. But now on my radar will be a larger custom rad that would fit with the intercooler solution that I have put in. If anyone has some experience and wisdom and some real life results that would be splendid to hear! Thanks in advance! 💝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom