200-series Pinnacle of "Land Cruiser" in the States? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have details on axle/ring gear size been released? The idea of a 200-sized GX still on the 8.2 doesn’t get me excited.

But will the GX have a split gate?

Word on the skreet is it’s a normal lift-gate style but you can pop the rear glass and swing it up. Someone else might need to corroborate that though.

Checks out. @6:25

Last edited:
I was hoping some of guys would talk about interior space in back seat compared to LX600 because it is smaller than 570.

Also compared to new Sequoia. If it has been I haven’t found it yet.

With kids the bigger back seat will keep me in 570s for next 10 years

Might be unpopular opinion here but i don't like the way the new GX look. From teaser pics, i thought it would looked like a Range Rover Sport, i love that styling and would've bought one if they didn't have so much problems. From straight on, it looks okay, but the profile view, i feel like it looks unproportional, the hood is way too long and the windshield just angle right up 90 degrees. Now they've also made it huge, it's basically a full sized SUV at this point.

Oh well, let's see what the new 4runner will look like. Maybe toyota is forcing me to keep my 200 for a long time.

So im seeing conflicting reports that the wheelbase is the taco 127”…

This makes sense since the GX 550 actually has a usable third row.

Word on the skreet

Still in the skreets, so im putting the new GX in my momma name!

Hello my new forum friend lol

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but the GX also tows 8,000lbs. Same as LX600 and greater than the 7700lb limit of the LC300. I would not be surprised if the GX gets a J3xx designation. Hard to consider the GX as occupying the "lighter duty" tier anymore given its dimensions and towing capacity.

We could really have "3" Land Cruisers here in the US over the next couple years. LX600 leaning into luxury in technology, GX500 balancing sophistication and off road, and a Toyota version leaning into ruggedness. Just speculation.

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but the GX also tows 8,000lbs. Same as LX600 and greater than the 7700lb limit of the LC300. I would not be surprised if the GX gets a J3xx designation. Hard to consider the GX as occupying the "lighter duty" tier anymore given its dimensions and towing capacity.

We could really have "3" Land Cruisers here in the US over the next couple years. LX600 leaning into luxury in technology, GX500 balancing sophistication and off road, and a Toyota version leaning into ruggedness. Just speculation.

The 8k towing seems to be for the base pack only. It drops considerably on paper after that in the buyers guide.

I think theres a lot of technical things to sort out with this GX. I think right now everyone is a bit wowed. Including me when it comes to certain things. ATs OEM, pano roof etc.

I want to see how the hybrid is packaged the extra power would be welcome, also it gives me more time to save some money so I can keep the 200 alongside.

I think many of us are thinking about this too. Is the future "LC" going to be built on a lighter duty platform? Does LC no longer mean top dog HD? Is it built in the spirit of off-road go anywhere adventure? Or is it just a brand that can be bastardized as marketing wants?

There's a great thread in the GX sub-form where @Brown98LC posted these insightful pictures. Find more there, but I cropped some to aid in comparison here. No doubt, the GX550 has grown in capacities and capabilities to hold its own. Yet is that enough and what we expect for a "Land Cruiser"? Perhaps?

Looking at the chassis comparison, the 300-series is still larger and built to a higher standard with more robust cross sections, larger brackets, and more substantial elements. There's quite a bit but I'll just point out a few. Maybe others can as well.
1) Front bump stops - the GX has a single stop, the LX utilizes two as does todays 200-series
2) Body mounts - the two largest ones in the mid section, the 300-series brackets are larger and tie into a longer section of frame
3) Front LCA pickup points - 300-series pickups are tighter in to the frame and would be geometrically stronger/stiffer

1686429588165.png

There's more pictures and comparisons in this thread. Suspension sub-components are larger on the 300-series, probably more inline with the current 200-series. That doesn't take away from the GX and future LC in my mind as it's still going to be awesome. At a better price point, more capability, and less weight than the last gen LC.

LC or not, the GX (and future sister Toyota) is going to become a heavyweight darling of the overland crown. There's so much here that finally gives the community and aftermarket what they want. Like the Taco and 4R, but now the clear platform for the upmarket customer.

Looking at the front bumper, there's so many natural cut lines for aftermarket bumpers. I see a low / medium / high horizontal lines ready to be exploited.

1686446207980.png

112” wheelbase, 8k towing capacity, factory 33s… if it’s reasonably priced compared to a new 200 I’m sold.

This is so much fun! We now have so much more information. And so much still to speculate about. At least we have some real data into where Lexus (and eventually Toyota) are headed. The problem for me is that there is almost too much. The new Sequoia. The 300/LX600. And now this. Presumably with a new 4Runner to follow. Lots of moving pieces and lots of new information which just adds to the uncertainty and the fun.

For me, I love my LC200 (2021 HE w/ 40K on it). Yes, I wish it had CarPlay and some of the tech updates Lexus has introduced (if it holds up when off-road). But barring some catastrophe with my current LC I don't think I would make any change for at least 4-5 years. I want to see some real world experience with these things. I went down the "1st-model-year" path with a 2014 Acura MDX. It was a mess. For me, I will let the market (and some of you) do the test flights on these things. Then see what happens.

One thing I do believe is that some potential Defender buyers may push Pause. At least for a while. I think Land Rover has benefitted from the silence out of Toyota/Lexus for the past couple of years. I suspect that given the lack of options a few people ventured into the higher risk space (reliability/dependability) with a Defender. But now people may want to wait at least until more is understood about the GX.

I am concerned about gas mileage, I currently get 15-16 mixed. But I am intentionally a light foot. I have Slee sliders, a Gamiviti rack, an ARB drawer, KO2s, etc. With me in the truck it weighs in at 6700-6800 lbs. I was hoping that the new Sequoia with the hybrid power plan would be a major improvement. But it appears they traded fuel efficiency for power and I don't like the size and placement of the battery in the Sequoia. Maybe they will get better/smarter with a hybrid power plant for the GX so they can retain good storage space, keep it powerful enough to match the LC200 and give us over 20-25 MPG mixed. But I am not hopeful.

I was half hoping for tidier dimensions as size can often be a limitation on the trail.
What trails are you feeling squeezed for size on in your 200?

I ain’t mad at it. For us we’re in a good spot with our cruiser and won’t be moving on from it unless we wear it out or someone hits us.

My hang ups come from a bad experience from twin turbo v6 10 speed transmission from another make… yeah I know, trust Toyota R&D yada yada but with government CAFE craziness and the heavy reliance on tech I just really start feeling my age when I read through new vehicle features.

LC or not, the GX (and future sister Toyota) is going to become a heavyweight darling of the overland crown. There's so much here that finally gives the community and aftermarket what they want. Like the Taco and 4R, but now the clear platform for the upmarket customer.

Looking at the front bumper, there's so many natural cut lines for aftermarket bumpers. I see a low / medium / high horizontal lines ready to be exploited.

View attachment 3346000

I really like the 550 but what a blunder on Toyotas part IMO. They earned an admittedly small, but loyal customer segment who gladly bought a halo vehicle every few years (TLC or LX).

What did they do? Discontinue the TLC and released a frankly pretty weak LX.

Toyota down-sold them to a sequoia or a GX550 instead of an $80-$100k halo car.

Toyota down-sold them to a sequoia or a GX550 instead of an $80-$100k halo car.

Many of them will buy the GX without complaint, because it’ll probably be a great vehicle. Meanwhile the majority of people that can’t afford a true J series have something great to buy too. Sounds like a win-win from Toyota’s perspective, in a market where the vast majority of buyers have no clue of or reason to care about the history of the “halo” Landcruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom