200 series off road driver training (1 Viewer)

Are you interested in joining a Bill Burke 200 series specific training event in early December?

• Yes, bring it on!

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Sounds fun, but I am not sure I can commit

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • No, I want my Mommy

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates such as location/address or payment details available?

Bill has been busy the past couple of weeks, and we had some changes with covid restrictions in Colorado I was waiting to see if/how it would impact this training. I synced up with Bill tonight, and we are good to go with training as scheduled. We will of course need to follow all appropriate covid guidance at the time, but as of now that looks like a forehead temp check each morning before we begin, mask wearing indoors, socially distanced outdoors or wearing masks outdoors if we cannot reasonably be socially distanced, and mask wearing inside vehicles if you are riding with people who are not of the same household. I don't think this will be a big deal considering the majority of the time we will be either outdoors with plenty of distance between us, but I want to ensure the appropriate expectations are set and communicated.

I will start a PM chain tonight with those who have signed up regarding details for payment, where the meeting place will be, and other various items. It looks like this course is full for drivers, but there could be room for passengers if people are open to sharing a vehicle. If there is more demand and people are ok with riding along, feel free to post up here. Post 48 has more info, but here are the details:

• The training will be the weekend of Saturday 12/5 and Sunday 12/6
  • Saturday will be a couple of hours of classroom instruction followed by several hours in the field (whatever covid protocols apply at the time will be followed)
  • Sunday may have a little bit of classroom instruction in the morning followed by a long day in the field
  • The group size will be limited to 8 vehicles (not people) to ensure everyone has good access to Bill's instruction
  • We can double up in each vehicle if necessary (i.e., if interest is strong enough) for a total class size of 16 people
  • The 2 people riding in each vehicle should either be of the same household, or those unrelated people will need to sync up in advance to align on covid protocol. This can be a sensitive topic, so the key here is to be open, communicate, be respectful, and come to an mutually agreeable arrangement.
  • The pricing for this course will be equally divided amongst participants, and there is no difference in pricing for drivers or passengers since we are all getting the same experience. If you are a driver and have a passenger, I'd encourage you to let your passenger drive so they get the same experience. This is not required of course, so only do what you're comfortable with.
  • Since we will not be mixing drivers and passengers much this session, the pricing is $300 per vehicle, so if your spouse has been begging to join you, this is your chance! This is for instruction only - it does not include vehicles rentals, accommodations in Grand Junction, food, drinks, etc. This is a one time discounted club/friends/family rate and is an incredible value!

Last edited:
Would love to check this out in the future- right now just excited for all of you that are going!

Are you at the 8 vehicles? If not I would like to join. Also, I already have my winter tires on. If I could join would that be an issue?

It looks like we are full at this time, but if there are any cancellations I will definitely let you know. The snow tires could be an issue depending on what trail(s) we do mainly because of their soft sidewalls. One of the test trails he likes to run wouldn't cause any issues, but the other one could cause some issues with snow tires. If opening becomes available, we can chat about options and figure something out.

It looks like we are full at this time, but if there are any cancellations I will definitely let you know. The snow tires could be an issue depending on what trail(s) we do mainly because of their soft sidewalls. One of the test trails he likes to run wouldn't cause any issues, but the other one could cause some issues with snow tires. If opening becomes available, we can chat about options and figure something out.

Great, thanks for getting back to me.

Matt, it is awesome that you have arranged this. For a brief moment I considered joining you when you first posted. But due to the fact that I have already had a turn with Bill and due to the COVID risks I thought it better for others to get their chance. What I will say is that if we do this in the future - once COVID is manageable (which for me means I've been vaccinated) then I am in.

Back in 2014 when I had only had my Land Rover LR4 for 2 weeks I drove to Grand Junction and did a one day, private lesson with Bill. All I can say is, "Wow"! (In fact I said that a dozen times during that day when I wasn't giggling like a little kid as we were driving over another obstacle that I wouldn't have imagined being able to do previously). Along with the insights and wisdom and best practices the main benefit to me was to show me what the vehicle was capable of. (The LR4 was/is similar enough to a Land Cruiser that all the lessons applied unless the LC is heavily modified. My LR4 was brand new/stock. Bill drives an older Land Rover). Grand Junction is actually a reasonably good area with a variety of trails and terrains. It is not in a heavy population area (which is good) but it is on a major highway. (And the drive there can be awesome whether it be the Rocky Mountains to the east or Moab/Southern Utah to the West.

Matt, hopefully this goes well and we can schedule Bill for a similar even next year!

Have fun, y'all, and make sure to share pics when all is done. I would even appreciate people sharing their top "take aways" from what they learned. Maybe a whole separate thread on that?

Man. I would love to join this. I have actually been in Grand Junction this whole week and it is just amazing. Too bad we leave tomorrow. I will definitely make the trip out if there is one next year though.

Matt, it is awesome that you have arranged this. For a brief moment I considered joining you when you first posted. But due to the fact that I have already had a turn with Bill and due to the COVID risks I thought it better for others to get their chance. What I will say is that if we do this in the future - once COVID is manageable (which for me means I've been vaccinated) then I am in.

Back in 2014 when I had only had my Land Rover LR4 for 2 weeks I drove to Grand Junction and did a one day, private lesson with Bill. All I can say is, "Wow"! (In fact I said that a dozen times during that day when I wasn't giggling like a little kid as we were driving over another obstacle that I wouldn't have imagined being able to do previously). Along with the insights and wisdom and best practices the main benefit to me was to show me what the vehicle was capable of. (The LR4 was/is similar enough to a Land Cruiser that all the lessons applied unless the LC is heavily modified. My LR4 was brand new/stock. Bill drives an older Land Rover). Grand Junction is actually a reasonably good area with a variety of trails and terrains. It is not in a heavy population area (which is good) but it is on a major highway. (And the drive there can be awesome whether it be the Rocky Mountains to the east or Moab/Southern Utah to the West.

Matt, hopefully this goes well and we can schedule Bill for a similar even next year!

Have fun, y'all, and make sure to share pics when all is done. I would even appreciate people sharing their top "take aways" from what they learned. Maybe a whole separate thread on that?

Good enough area for a LCDC someday, with Bill Burke helping us beginners giggle over some obstacles? I'm with you that once there is a vaccine, I'd be all over this opportunity.

Apparently the Covids is stickier than mud, and Rona is more slippery than ice. :(

Looking forward to this in the spring!

-Chris

I'm definitely interested in a driver course next go around.

Please add me to the interest list for future driving courses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom