200,000 mile maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I rolled over 200,000 earlier this year. I’m wanting to dig into some deeper type PM stuff as the ODO continues to creep up.

I’ve addressed most of the usual suspects:
- Rebuilt front axle
- Replaced valve cover rubber
- PHH
- new suspension bushings (only item I didnt do myself)
- new water pump
- new radiator and coolant hoses
- rebuilt rear axle
- rebuilt all brake calipers
- oil pump cover gasket
- fan clutch mod
- did speakers and some sound deadening
- plumbed in a hydraulic winch
- rebuilt steering gear box
- big three plus more beefy grounding wires
- charcoal canister
- Replaced the long hard brake lines (just in case)
- Replaced all soft brake lines
- belts (obviously)
- do a little tranny drain and refill now and again
- replaced exhaust from headers back
- big ol’ power steering cooler
- Depos with real deal wiring harness
- Rear heater delete

Current issues:
- rear locker does not actuate (Tools was helping but :frown:)
- Parasitic battery drain
- Passenger side axle seal failed and needs rebuild
- steering arms are end of life
- Temps still climb a bit high in the AZ summer
- blew out rear shocks (replacements in route)

Have parts for:
- drive shaft bushings
- distributor gasket and rotor (but no leak)
- whiteline rear sway
- some odds and ends but can’t remember

I was thinking an aux fan might be smart but I want to see if I can’t anticipate any upcoming trouble (starter or PS pump or brake booster). I think 2022 may see a big Death Valley/Mohave type trip so hoping to work through anything that could prevent that. What do you guys think? Eager to do the next 200k :)

thanks in advance for any replies and thanks to everyone on here who helped me through what’s already checked off!

— Beej
E45767CC-E826-4DFF-A93E-9A9300E82AE5.jpeg

Last edited:
Edits got messed up. Also completed was:
- Fuel tank rubber and fuel “sock”
- Fuel filter

Have you, or someone else, cleaned, inspected, or replaced the rear wheel bearings??? If not, at 200,000 miles i think their time has come for a little TLC. If you do this job you might want to buy a special socket that makes the job alot easier to do. You can buy that socket for Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. They also offer a complete wheel bearing and gasket kit to do this job too.
Photo of the bearing and seal kit.
1607397529417.png

Photo of the special socket.
1607397255418.png

Wash really well under the truck then get down there and inspect the frame for cracks around the steering box.

Just something something easy to check for that wasn’t on the list. Mine has 240,000ish and had a few cracked welds. I just gouged/ground out and re-welded.

heater control valve maybe

So, I had never seen that whole list in front of my eyeballs. It’s quite a lot over the last 4 years. This seems like as good a time as any to start a build thread...

It definitely sounds like it’s a very well kept truck.

Thanks! It’s looking like I may be getting married in the next year or so, and while :princess: loves the 80, she has never seen the receipts💸

If I can get a round of PM done before she does, that would probably be very, very good.

Thanks! It’s looking like I may be getting married in the next year or so, and while :princess: loves the 80, she has never seen the receipts💸

If I can get a round of PM done before she does, that would probably be very, very good.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Very smart move getting as much done as you can while your still financially flying solo.:cheers:

That's an inspiring and impressive list of maintenance/mods you've got there.

My truck is just about to roll over 250K miles. The few things I would consider adding are:
-Fuel Pump, Circuit Opening and EFI relays
-Fusible Link
-All the hoses in the cooling system, and their clamps. There are a lot of hoses (especially if you have not deleted the rear heater, which I see you did). I replaced all the hoses along the firewall, the PHH of course, and all the rubber hoses down along the PS frame rail. Getting to all those hoses and getting the clamps all in place is a PITA, to be sure.

I always think it's worth considering how long you plan to keep the truck, and how you use it. It sounds like you plan to keep yours for 10+ years more, and to wheel it. So, while it's not crazy to think some of those hoses and clamps are still okay, at least some of them probably won't be in another 10 years. If the goal is to have a highly reliable vehicle which you can take to the backcountry with confidence, I think it's worth going the extra mile (you obviously share this perspective). I also think it's good to prioritize things which would leave you stranded if they failed, like the items on my list here.

Good work, keep it up! Happy trails!

Last edited:
Have you, or someone else, cleaned, inspected, or replaced the rear wheel bearings??? If not, at 200,000 miles i think their time has come for a little TLC. If you do this job you might want to buy a special socket that makes the job alot easier to do. You can buy that socket for Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. They also offer a complete wheel bearing and gasket kit to do this job too.
Photo of the bearing and seal kit.
View attachment 2518867
Photo of the special socket.
View attachment 2518862
Not knocking Cruiser Outfitters here, I got both of my axle service kits from them, but the Wit's End 54mm hub nut socket will do both front and rear axles. One less tool you have to carry if you want the ability to tighten wheel bearings away from home. Otherwise I think the dowel style SST mentioned is a great idea.

Heater Control valve to finish out the coolant system (almost has the same result as the PHH failure)
Vacuum hoses for all the engine bay
You replaced the oil pump cover gasket but didn't tackle the front crank seal while you had all the stuff off?
New body mounts
Oil level sensor gasket
Starter contacts/plunger
How old are your plugs wires/are they the original OEM?
When you did the valve cover seal, what else was done? (Spark plug tubes, new spark plugs, throttle body gasket, PC valve and hoses)
Air filter
Grease the driveshaft points if it hasn't been apart of your normal PM routine/maybe new u joints
Accelerator cable depending on the condition?
Verify your sunroof drains are clear (even though not much rain in your neck of the woods)
Door belt moldings
Fender Flare gaskets

Obviously some stuff is more important than others. I replaced my starter contacts at 224K and one side had been worn in quite a bit. You've done a fair amount of PM and followed a good rule of making sure the safety aspect (aka braking) was a priority. Just seems like for me the list never stops of little things to do.

My truck had a battery drain, it was the overhead light. Door switch was bad. Mike

that's what I did at 211,000 when I bought it.
Plus a full base line.

1607546189781.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom