200.00 sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anybody know where you can get sliders you weld on for 200.00 i saw them on a web site but can't find it now

JUst the steel for propper sliders will cost more than 200 bucks. I wouldn't be buying $200 sliders unless they are a used set being given away for that price.
My .02

Sam

I bought steel two years ago because a guy said he was going to fab me some and the steel came out to $215. Good luck finding any that are $200 including labor.

IMHO, Hanna and Slee as well as others make quality products and are priced to reflect that.

your thinking about demello the sliders are for tacomas. The plan this summer is to buy a few sets from them then weld up brackets similar to georges for the 80s assuming the lengths are within the right range.

mike

lx450landcruiser said:
your thinking about demello the sliders are for tacomas. The plan this summer is to buy a few sets from them then weld up brackets similar to georges for the 80s assuming the lengths are within the right range.

mike

Is this something you are personally planning to do? Ive thought of doing something like that as well, but the harderst part seems to be the brackets/outriggers in the first place. Id still be interested to see how it goes.

There's some local guys here in Sac who made sliders for my Tacoma for $250 including weld installation, but I see you're in Wisc! They make anything for Toyotas, not just Tacomas. www.bentup.com

Sliders for my 4R, from Marlin are $135, and steel is steel, I think we as 80 owners are so used to paying big $$ for our parts that we are desensitized to the screwing we take on bumpers, sliders etc.. $1000 for a rear bumper is criminal.

Track down and PM Land Speeder on Mud. He typically can be found on the MS/Cotton Land Cruiser club section.

I just checked out his sliders he made for his 80 at Tellico (you saw them too Slick621 when they were trying to start that fire!).

He has a '91 so the cats are different than newer models, but it's quality work at a reasonable cost.

Of course, he has lots of sweat equity in the solution but it beats $200+ shipping from the West coast...

I doubt he's headed for the business of slider fab, but he can certainly give feedback and input as his design is slick, cost effective and functional, FWIW.

MJB said:
$1000 for a rear bumper is criminal.

Really, what is a resonable price in your mind for a bumpers likes Hannas, Slees or even 4x4labs?

Yeah Me and Eric (land speeder) made them for under $200. I am sure Eric will chime in here but i would glad to answer any questions. I am maybe you could convince us to make some more.

MJB said:
we are desensitized to the screwing we take on bumpers, sliders etc.. $1000 for a rear bumper is criminal.

If you dont mind my asking have you ever built a rear bumper, sliders, or even a front bumper for that matter for an 80? if not I suggest you re think that statment. theres a damn good reason why they cost what they do. Go lay under your truck and take a look at the angles you have to deal with when designing these things. Yes the cost may look steep but when you are the one doing all the work and the thinking you quickly realize that a rear bumper (a good one) for an 80 isnt a half day project. Think before you speak.

mike

slick621 said:
Is this something you are personally planning to do? Ive thought of doing something like that as well, but the harderst part seems to be the brackets/outriggers in the first place. Id still be interested to see how it goes.

yes this will be int he works hopfully this summer, now that i have a new shop finished. I havent yet looked real close at georges sliders but i would imagine the brackets could be made easily enough with the new plasma cutter and then its a matter of attaching the pre bent tube sliders. Im also thinking abuot building the brakets and sending them out un welded as to cut down on shipping costs and hopfully bringing slider price down. still a ways away but will see when the time comes.

MJB said:
Sliders for my 4R, from Marlin are $135, and steel is steel, I think we as 80 owners are so used to paying big $$ for our parts that we are desensitized to the screwing we take on bumpers, sliders etc.. $1000 for a rear bumper is criminal.
Yeah at $1k you are really getting screwed, if

1. You can get steel at cheap prices
2. you have welding equipment
3. you have a plasma cutter
3. you have the skill to do quality welding
4. you have a shop/space to work
5. you have the time to do the labor
6. you have all the dimensions and angles needed already, or the time to build/fit/rebuild/refit/repeat
7. a powder coating setup and oven
8. you wanna do it

Of course I don't know squat about welding, so I'm sure there is a bunch of other stuff I didn't mention...

While I do think $1k-2k is expensive for a rear bumper with carrier, simply because I have trouble coming up with that much discretionary spending money at once, it still seems like a solid value, ie. you are getting what you are paying for.

MJB said:

We went through this on another thread. I say they're more expensive cause of the lack of competition and the lack of ecconomy of scale. When you only make a few instead of a few hundred, you have to amoritize your costs over a smaller # of sales. You'll get alot of "feedback" from more than you already have, that it's because of the quality. Apparently 80 series sliders are a higher quality than any made for a 4 runner - at least in some minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom