2 weeks in the western oz bush/desert (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.george4wd.taskled.com
Just got back yesterday from a month in oz. Spent 2 weeks out bush (one week with a couple of mates, one with a 78 troopie v8 tdi and one with a 105 1hz). Then 1 week with just a mate that came in my nissan. We covered just on 3000km (1700 miles) and fueled up twice. Longest distance between fuel stops was 1400km (875 miles).

Here's a few pics of the trip. I'll be writing up a full report on my website as I get time.

We had weather extremes from hail to many days in the 90's and a few in the 105F+ range. Nights were generally cool and quite a few with clouds and electrical activity. In the desert the humidity was down around 12% (DRY!!!).

Precursor to lighting and rain (2nd night):

clouds.jpg

Since rain was imminent we camped on the verandah of an abandoned house. Lots of water in the rain water tank.

house.jpg

Abandoned homesteads were common the desert fringe.

house3.jpg

With the rain, lots of the tracks were muddy and Rod needed a winch out of the bog. His trailer is quite heavy with a quad and minibike inside along with 80L of diesel and 200L of water. The muddy patch in front is from the nissan pulling him out.

rodtow.jpg

The nissan also got stuck in a muddy part of the track where a small water course went across. Picture after extraction.

mq_bog.jpg

We were heading into the Great Victoria Desert (in the eastern part of western australia). Our convoy on a track.

pnc.jpg

Temperatures in the high 90's and a nice (rare) rain water tank in the desert. Time to camp and set up for a cool shower.

thelma.jpg

Camping at the rain water tank.

thelma2.jpg

Kim gets a flat on his rickety trailer behind his 105. Stake in the tread and Rod fixes it quickly with a plug. The one and only flat on the whole trip.

kimflat.jpg

A nice picture of one of the salt lakes with water from the recent rains.

lake1.jpg

Really in the desert now as we enter the Plumridge Lakes nature reserve. We haven't seen anyone for several days and don't see another person/vehicle for a least another week.

plum1.jpg

Lots of spinifex where it hasn't been burnt.

mq1.jpg

Cause of a large fire several years ago. 1000's of square miles were burnt when this petrol powered mitsubishi went up in smoke. Likely a spinifex fire under it. There's a burnt out engel in the back - underlining how short a time they had to abandon the vehicle when it caught on fire.

burned.jpg

Examples of the burned out areas - new regrowth taking over.

fire.jpg

I located a track via google earth and planned to visit the Doctor Hicks range (which we did). Good track to the range.

hicks1.jpg

Camped at the base of the range and early morning sunrise. We often got up at 5am to while we had the cool of the day to pack and get a bunch of driving in. Reached 110F this day! Though we found a nice shed in the bush (a real rarity) with cover and a fantastic rain water tank (showers and buckets of water to cool us down).

hicks.jpg

cheers,
george.

part 2

Common quality of tracks where we were - easy going.

hicks2.jpg

As we left the desert we started finding rock outcrops again and water from recent rains. In oz the only above ground water in the desert is gnamma holes (naturally formed holes on rock outcrops that can vary from 1 - 5' deep and can be just inches across to many feet

rock1.jpg

Old vehicles from days gone past.

truck1.jpg

Common crossings on some salt lakes. Wood cut and layed to prevent getting bogged.

toweo.jpg

Hard to complain about camping in the bush.
sunset.jpg

Last edited:
^ ditto!

Western Australia is a big place. Here's what our 3000km (1700 mile) trip looked like - we only visited a tiny area...

oz2k14_trip.gif

cheers,
george.

Thanks for sharing. Are you from Oz originally?

Thanks for sharing your holiday pics with us George! :beer:

Regards,

Alan

Here's a bit of partially overgrown track, took some video to give an idea of some of the oz bush. We had about 15 miles of it to drive through before the track opened up again.

Not places to take your vehicle if you are scared of some scuff marks from the dry scrub.

cheers,
george.

Bit of video that I threw together - sort of a sampling along the way for the trip, from hail in the first morning to getting up to 105F+ temperatures (thank god for cold beer!):

Oh, the reference to Mr Whippy, a soft serve icecream van business from when I was a kid, they use to drive down neighbourhood streets with their jingle going (like the pied piper)...

cheers,
george.

Thanks for sharing George!

Been slack, anyhow, finally uploaded video I took of the trip. It's just over 1 hour in length, some more boring that other bits :)

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom