2 lo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 71 FJ40 with the vaccum knob 4wd. I have read that you can't go into 2low only 2hi, 4hi, 4low, and neutral.
I can ride in 2low it even takes off better than in 2hi or 4hi.

Will this hurt anything? No crazy noises from anywhere. I have been shifting like this for about 4 months now. I leave it in low and switch from 2 to 4 only.

This 40 is not street legal so I am not worried about speed.

thanks for any help.

So basically your leaving your transfer engaged in low and driving around in 2 wheel drive?

I run offroad in 2lo all the time...you (obviously) cannot shift from 2lo to 2hi, but swapping from 2lo to 4lo offroad is very common.

i got a stock 76 transfer case, does it do damage to go into what is labeled 4lo with the free wheeling hubs unlocked? this is the method for doin ramps and the like, but i read somewhere ??? that it's a bad thing to do, strips something upfront...

You can switch into 4lo with the front hubs unlocked ONLY if you are also 100% NOT moving....you will have gear issues if the truck is rolling at all, since none of the front drivetrain is moving and it will have to force into gear.

2lo is an EASY modificiation on a FJ40. Pull the shift boot. Look down the opening. You'll see a steel plate with a "L"-shaped slot for the transfer case shift lever. Take a small saw, torch (IMO works best), or get creative and turn this "L" shape into a square. Takes seconds.

I put a twin stick on my 72' FJ40. That way running 2lo is the same as running 2hi and I can shift between the 2 while on the move.

ok, but once shifted, is it alright to drive on it??? or will it chew out the front free wheelers, even if selected while stationary

drive plates or lockouts?

If lockouts, no problem....I would not do LONG drives, but short/occasional ones aren't gonna hurt a thing.

yeah, i was only going to use it to ramp it up during the rear spring conversion to see the RTI difference of each stage, but was told NEVER to do it. ahh well i trust you guys more.

stages will be

stock.
stock springs with clips open
stock with clips open, no shock to see if shock limiting factor
60 series springs
60 springs with clips open
60 springs with no shock and clips open

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom