2 60's switched vin plates?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Government road??? The citizens of this country own these roads, not the government. Unless of course we are talking about those who don't pay taxes.

Actually, the individual states own the roads, and you pay to drive on them with your vehicle and states taxes. Aint that grand?

And in some states here you can title a rebuild vehicle as well - just check with your DMV - probably a web site for it.

One is not road worthy..eg has a good frame, and the other has a good body but rusty frame.
Howdy! Nothing wrong with combining two broken rigs into one good one. Have you checked with DMV to see what the proceedure is? In some states it IS a bigger hassle than in others. But, the good news is: this gets done a lot. May be a bit of a paper chase, but if you end up with the rig you want, then it's still cheaper than buying another one. You may end up with a Salvage title, but in the 4x4 world, that's not such a bad thing. Good luck. John

Howdy! Nothing wrong with combining two broken rigs into one good one. Have you checked with DMV to see what the proceedure is? In some states it IS a bigger hassle than in others. But, the good news is: this gets done a lot. May be a bit of a paper chase, but if you end up with the rig you want, then it's still cheaper than buying another one. You may end up with a Salvage title, but in the 4x4 world, that's not such a bad thing. Good luck. John

Thanks. Yeah, once the rigs are put together I will have the perfect 60. Will check with DMV. They seem pretty sensible here in CO so hopefully won't be too bad.

One is not road worthy..eg has a good frame, and the other has a good body but rusty frame.

just do a body swap and go through teh propper paper work and it wont be any big deal it happens all the time.

You should be able to combine VIN's. Then it is legal. I have seen it done for Kalifornia rigs, they used several ford trucks to make one and then they took the titles of all the vehicle to the dmv and have them placed on one title paperwork to make it legal. They found this out because they did not do that and the CHP inspected their vehicle and they were going to jail but they had all the titles of donor vehicles so Kalifornia combined the titles and they were let go. So the moral is don't do what you can't afford. We say that allot at work. Garry Owen

In this case if I were you I'd switch bodies and make all VIN's the same as the frame horn on the good truck. I can't see a problem with that if the remaining truck is getting squashed anyways though you can be SURE that the DMV don't see it like I do.

Just check with your local DMV i am sure there is something you can do. One thing i imagine they will require is giving up the title to the one being thrown away:D so to speak. But of course you will have to prove ownership....etec etc. That is the way it works here anyway.

I did this to a 73 40 and converted it into a 76:D

in colorado, i believe the vin goes with the frame, so title whichever vehicles frame you are using. the body has nothing to do with it. the motor will need to pass emissions equal to or newer (depending on what motor you put in) than the age of the vehicle.

here goes... I used to work for a chop shop when I was 12. I used to chop cars with electrodes/welding machines. I would see them junk the rutted one while the new one got a new Identity. Not Legal at all. Got raided while I was at school....

Check with you local DMV... you could even ask a local body shop?

Any how, If it was me? well I wont tell but I asked a friend ;) and he said he would keep the good chassis, and and swap the good body onto it. Swap the vins and re-rivet them properly in an unknown Island. That, way he junks one and keeps the other... while out of any jurisdiction.

But again I recommend to check with the local authorities...

Oh and he said that a blowdrier can losen the glue on them sticker vins.... Again...
thats the what the friend would do but I recommend to check with your local Authorities... so you wont get in trouble....

Oh yeah and he said he would not have mentioned it to anyone else. Much less on the internet... MUCH less to a world famous OFF ROAD KICK ASS SIGHT LIKE IH8MUD.COM. YEAH!!!!! sorry got carried away there...

oh and notice the part about the chop shop getting raided.:D:cheers:

hahahaha:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom