1KZ-TE EGT on inclines at altitude question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there, my family and I are going up to the mountains in a week or so (around 4000-6000ft in elevation) with many windy hills etc etc, and was wondering if it would be ok to take my father's totally stock KZJ78 Prado with a 5spd up there WITHOUT an EGT gauge. I took my BJ75 up there this past summer and it was an absolute dog, like I couldn't get out of 1st on some inclines so we would prefer to take the Prado over that but don't want to cause any engine damage. However, if taking that 1KZ-TE up there without an EGT gauge is truly a horrible idea I'll deal with the middle fingers being thrown at me left and right up there haha. Any advice or opinions are appreciated!

Electronic engines are supposed to look after themselves. I'm not up with the 1KZ control scheme. But it must have either air-flow or manifold pressure sensors and either will be enough to know how much fuel it can safely burn.

Hey there, my family and I are going up to the mountains in a week or so (around 4000-6000ft in elevation) with many windy hills etc etc, and was wondering if it would be ok to take my father's totally stock KZJ78 Prado with a 5spd up there WITHOUT an EGT gauge. I took my BJ75 up there this past summer and it was an absolute dog, like I couldn't get out of 1st on some inclines so we would prefer to take the Prado over that but don't want to cause any engine damage. However, if taking that 1KZ-TE up there without an EGT gauge is truly a horrible idea I'll deal with the middle fingers being thrown at me left and right up there haha. Any advice or opinions are appreciated!

I've not heard of EGT's on a stock 1KZTE causing any engine issues. Even modified ones it doesn't seem to be an issue.

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about coolant temperatures. 1KZTE is an Indirect injection turbo diesel. They can run hot under load. If run hot too much, the heads can crack between the cylinder and coolant passages. It's an expensive repair even if you can do the work yourself.

Keep it in a lower gear and let the rpms rise. Being a factory turbo, I would expect it to have tougher pistons than a N/A diesel

@theglobb , take that vehicle up to 9500’ without questioning it! It may run a little rich, but don’t sweat it. Put the EGT on, when you have time. Enjoy the mountains!

Electronic engines are supposed to look after themselves. I'm not up with the 1KZ control scheme. But it must have either air-flow or manifold pressure sensors and either will be enough to know how much fuel it can safely burn.
Ahhhh, I never even thought about that since I'm used to all mechanical all the time. I guess this is one of the few instances it pays off to have an electronically controlled engine! haha
I've not heard of EGT's on a stock 1KZTE causing any engine issues. Even modified ones it doesn't seem to be an issue.

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about coolant temperatures. 1KZTE is an Indirect injection turbo diesel. They can run hot under load. If run hot too much, the heads can crack between the cylinder and coolant passages. It's an expensive repair even if you can do the work yourself.
I seeeee interesting, just wish the OEM dash gauge was a bit more accurate than it is. Would you say that water temp is more important than EGTs on these engines?
Keep it in a lower gear and let the rpms rise. Being a factory turbo, I would expect it to have tougher pistons than a N/A diesel
👍 sounds good, I can't wait to actually have the RPMs rise instead of slowly falling off like how the BJ75 does.
@theglobb , take that vehicle up to 9500’ without questioning it! It may run a little rich, but don’t sweat it. Put the EGT on, when you have time. Enjoy the mountains!
Awesome great to know! My father and I will take it a bit more easy than usual but nonetheless, this will be a much more enjoyable trip with the Prado.
---
Thank you all so much for the great info and all the different responses, really appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom