1HZ Block heater ( not available at the traditional spots) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gofast

SILVER Star
Threads
So, I've been trying to source a block heater for my 1HZ.

ENS didn't have a block heater and couldn't source one. They suggested 4wheelauto which also cannot source. Ishobie has one in his truck that Toyota installed so they do exist.

So this is becoming difficult to find. Anyone know of a source?

Cheers,
John

Hi,
Do you know which frost plug the heater go on,if l know the frost plug size,l may be able to find the block heater,
Simon
Winterpeg,
HDJ81
HDJ81 wife
HZJ77
BJ42

So this is what I found so far. Can anyone confirm the thread size for the frost plug?

Copied from other threads:

Id really like to get a block heater installed this winter and I think a freeze plug style unit would be best for my application. Has anyone fitted one of these to a 1HZ? The 3B plug is apparently 35mm, and according to toyoDIY there is a 35mm freeze plug on the left side of the 1HZ at the #4 cyl. Think it would work? Anyone tried it?
Mine is just behind the alternator just under the ex manifold - installed by toyota.

Bumping this up

Have you measured your frost plugs? I would start with that, and if it is close to 35mm, I would assume it is, because the 35mm block heater I just bought for my 3B had instructions that mention that this is a block heater for all Toyota and Izuzu engines. I bought the Napa block heater code#: 6053250
I'll try to remember to measure my 1HZ frost plug size, but I can see myself forgeting.
Cheers,
Deny

I just picked up a spare blockheater for my 3B at Lordco (they have places in westbank, summerland and oliver). It's a 35mm by Zerostart/Temro part # 3100021 (12vdc 400w) (check out their catalog Home) and I think it ran about 35 bucks cdn and it was in stock.

Thanks for the info, it's really useful. I just emailed them as I have a massive parallel heater project (the idea is to get the engine to actual operating temperature in a matter of minutes, not hours). In short, I'd like to install a heater in every frost plug (an one in the oil pan, tranny pan and in each diff, and battery warmers as well).

No kidding, it's possible, I'm just wondering why, in this freezing cold country, no one ever thought of designing engines with substantial electric engine heaters to prevent cold starts altogether... Imagine the efficiency improvements, not to mention extra comfort...

I have two block heaters installed. One in the upper frost plugs and one in the lower frost plugs. I can turn one, the other or both on depending on the conditions (one is a higher wattage).

The only thing I would be concerned with is the depth of the heater plug (how far back the element sticks past the plug wall) and the length of the element. I have seen various lengths and you do not want to contact any part of the block with the element.

Have you thought of a lower rad hose heater? I would love to have one of those as they circulate the warm coolant and heat the cabin a bit beside the whole engine... I wish I had one!

Last edited:
I have two block heaters installed. One in the upper frost plugs and one in the lower frost plugs. I can turn one, the other or both on depending on the conditions (one is a higher wattage).

Great! According to the gentleman from Phillips-Temro, the specs are supplied by car manufacturers and, I believe they are specified for convenient installation and minimum block obstructions.

The only thing I would be concerned with is the depth of the heater plug (how far back the element sticks past the plug wall) and the length of the element. I have seen various lengths and you do not want to contact any part of the block with the element.

Exactly, that is the issue. The trouble is, we don't have these specs before hand so it is possible that, after removing a frost plug, it will be impossible to fit a heater in there...

Have you thought of a lower rad hose heater? I would love to have one of those as they circulate the warm coolant and heat the cabin a bit beside the whole engine... I wish I had one!

That was my first idea, but on the 1HD-T, the coolant flow design is inverted, with the thermostat on the return side. In other words, installing a lower hose heater can be problematic as it must fight obstruction from the closed thermostat. A second drawback is thatg the hose is basically horizontal to it's much easier to warm up the rad (and loose all the benifits to the outside air) than the block itself.

I have an in-line, recirculating heater and just found a spot for it and will be going out to install it if I find some 3/4" hose lying around. If I'm successful, I will post some pictures.

Exactly, that is the issue. The trouble is, we don't have these specs before hand so it is possible that, after removing a frost plug, it will be impossible to fit a heater in there...

That is what happened to me and no spare frost plug on hand. I had first measured the frost plug size and then went to see if I could buy one for that size. No problem, except when I went to put it in the element was touching the inside wall of the water jacket. Easy fix was to just bend it a bit - so I thought. It worked well for about a month and then nothing. Apparently, the elements don't like it when you bend them - even just a bit.

Later I found out that they do sell a frost plug specifically for my TD4.2; however, it is in one of the hardest places to install it. Luckily, the lower rad hose heater was an option for me and it has been working great for the past 3 years.

This has been helpful, hopefully we'll be able to get some HZ measurements from DanS on this thread. Looks like we need depth to block wall as well as diameter of the plug.

I've been very unsuccessful with the lower rad hose heater with my HZ. Search this forum and you'll see my previous whine.

Didn't think to check Lordco or Napa so that also was a good tip.

John

Last edited:
That is what happened to me and no spare frost plug on hand. I had first measured the frost plug size and then went to see if I could buy one for that size. No problem, except when I went to put it in the element was touching the inside wall of the water jacket. Easy fix was to just bend it a bit - so I thought. It worked well for about a month and then nothing. Apparently, the elements don't like it when you bend them - even just a bit.
Actually, if you could ask for a non-cured heater at the factory, you would be ahead because once fired, the alumina solidifies in the position the heating coil material has been bent.

Better yet would be to build your own, but you'd have to know how to weld the element jacket to the body of the plug.

In other words it's feasible, heaters can be made by hand but it requires considerable work and skill, not counting the specialized welding equipment.

Later I found out that they do sell a frost plug specifically for my TD4.2; however, it is in one of the hardest places to install it. Luckily, the lower rad hose heater was an option for me and it has been working great for the past 3 years.
I presume your cooling system circulates in the conventional way, with the inlet free? The problem with the system on the 1HD-T is that the inlet is blocked by the thermostat and the lower rad hose is practically horizontal...

This has been helpful, hopefully we'll be able to get some HZ measurements from DanS on this thread. Looks like we need depth to block wall as well as diameter of the plug.

I've been very unsuccessful with the lower rad hose heater with my HZ. Search this forum and you'll see my previous whine.

Didn't think to check Lordco or Napa so that also was a good tip.

John
I'm going to go with a thermo-siphon recirculating heater for now and get back with my results in a few days. Since the 1HZ and the 1HD-T are fairly similar, findings on the 1HD-T should apply to the 1HZ .

Well, I didn't want my post to just be hearsay, so I went out to the shop to have a look at the 1HZ, and looks like it is a 35mm plug. It was sort of in an odd spot to get a good measurement without pulling out the block heater and still covered by quite a bit of mine dust, but it was close enough to 35mm to make me 99% sure it is.
Cheers,
Deny
P1080006.jpg
P1080007.jpg

I did the same thing... I wish I could say I intended to put two in, but it was a "HID (hell I'm dumb) moment.

I spent an hour knocking out the upper frost plug on my engine right where (I thought) the instructions said I should. I placed the plug and I couldn't get it to fit.

It took me another 1/2 an hour to realize it would fit pefectly in the frost plug just below the one I was working on. I went to napa with the frost plug I had pulled and the matched it to the size and depth for me. Since I had put so much effort into taking the @$#%ing plug out, I'd be damned to just put another one back in!

She starts like a dream now!

I wonder if they make one that hooks into the rear heater hoses.... Hmmm? Might make sense with a reversed flow on you HZ

Hey Breckenridge,

What type of heater did you install?

I'm going to go shopping based on the recommendation. This has been awesome by the way.
John

I installed the stock recommended (bigger) freeze plug heater that comes up when Napa looked up the 3B engine. For the other (smaller) one I just looked in a big ass book they had based on the measurement of the smaller plug I had knocked out. If this is not your daily driver, I'd say just knock out the plug and stick your finger in and see how much room you have. Toyota engines are not like some that have super tight water jackets and such... not only that, but if you take one from napa and test fit it and it has the wrong size/depth element, just clean it off, return it and try again. They had plenty of options when I went, and my NAPA sucked.

BTW: It's not easy to get the @#%kers out. I used a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to drive one lip of the plug into the engine (it should spin on an axis or you should be able to get one part to come out. I then grabbed what I could with pliers and pulled like hell! Try to hit the lip if you can get a good angle. You don't want to scar the edge of the block where the heater will need to seat well. Also, don't try to hit inside the lip as you wil just knock a hole into the plug. I did that the first time and had a hell of a time getting the thing to move so I screwed a long wood screw into the hole and used the pliers on that. I didn't scar the wall, but I defintley didn't get style points for the removal. The second was much easier. ;)

If I had to do it again, I'd probably do a lower rad hose recirculating heater. With yours being in reverse that might be an issue as you said.

Also, be careful when knocking the frost plugs... It's definitely possible to knock it IN instead of out... Ask me how I know :whoops:

Nothing like reviving an old thread. Getting close to winter here in Washington state got me thinking about this subject for my 1HZ. I have an OEM heater in my old Cummins Dodge and know what a difference it makes on a cold morning. I was considering an inline hose heater, but the thermo siphon design is interesting. Has anyone installed a thermo siphon unit on a 1HZ and had success with it? If so, where did you tap into the system given the location of the thermostat? What size/type of unit did you go with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom