Wanted 1HZ/1HDT Engine electrical sub-harness (wiring loom) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
I am looking for an engine wiring harness for my 1HZ project. It can be from an early or late vehicle as I can easily change out the factory cowl connectors for Deutsch-style connectors.
Also, I don't care whether it comes from a 1HZ (preferred) or a 1HDT as I am primarily interested in getting the factory connectors and associated wiring for the engine-mounted senders and glow circuits.

Please let me know if you can help before I spend a stupid amount of money importing one from a wrecker in Australia.

Last edited:
Talk to Dave stedman at japan4x4, he was able to find one for me.

I'm curious as to why you need the harness. Sensors are all included with your dakota digital gauge cluster, right? The glow plug connector is just a ring terminal to the busbar. That just leaves the injection pump connector, which you can get new from Japan (90980-11157).

If you do need a harness, you might contact this guy in Canada: Parting Out - 1HZ diesel engine, ex-2005 HZJ79 It'd likely be cheaper than importing one from overseas.

Talk to Dave stedman at japan4x4, he was able to find one for me.
Thanks for the lead! I've been talking to Dave this morning so we'll see what he can dig up.

I'm curious as to why you need the harness. Sensors are all included with your dakota digital gauge cluster, right? The glow plug connector is just a ring terminal to the busbar. That just leaves the injection pump connector, which you can get new from Japan (90980-11157).

If you do need a harness, you might contact this guy in Canada: Parting Out - 1HZ diesel engine, ex-2005 HZJ79 It'd likely be cheaper than importing one from overseas.

You're right, I don't need the gauge senders since the DD cluster uses proprietary units. However, I still need the factory harness connections for the glow timer water temp switch, the glow resistor connections, and the fusible link to the glow bar. I am curious how you nailed down the part number for that IP tach connector (I was watching your thread on the diesel section). I initially tried to do something similar as I really only need the female connector for the glow water temp switch... but I don't know where to find the PN.

The guy parting out the mine truck won't be of any help because the company that converted the trucks for mine use removed the entire Toyota electrical harness. My engine came from a mine truck... hence why it is missing the harness. :frown:

Ah, I didn't realize that you will be keeping the superglow system. I'm going to a manual switch, solenoid, and circuit breaker. If you get a harness from Japan, it will likely be from a 24V truck, so you should probably verify that the wires and fusible link are heavy enough for the higher amp draw of a 12V system. I don't know much about superglow, though, so that might not be a legitimate concern.

I used the Toyota wire harness repair manual (https://www.toyota-tech.eu/wire_harness_rm/RM06H0E.pdf) to find the number for that connector. For terminals and packing, you can buy the overpriced pre-crimped "repair wires" from Toyota, or you can do it right and buy the parts from somewhere like Corsa Technic.

Yup, I have a copy of RM06H0E as well and it has been helpful... sort of. For me, the resolution/detail of the line drawings in the section that gives the part numbers is not clear enough to recognize the paired terminal to any given connector I have on my engine/cowl harness. Plus, the document does not appear to be Land Cruiser specific so I have little reason to believe that the connectors shown are correct for a HZJ75. At one point, I tried to cross reference every "similar" looking connector p/n to see if I could associate it to a HZJxx... but so far, I've not been successful in that.

I did not know that Toyota offered repair wires (other than the 3-pin alternator repair kits I've seen around). Any idea where I might go to get p/ns for repair wires?

It can be tricky to match up the connectors with diagrams. For a couple of them, I had to take pictures of the connectors and overlay the diagrams of possible mates in an image editor to find the right ones. You can find the repair wire part numbers in section E (page 255) of the wiring manual. For example, a 160mm length repair wire for the female IP connector would be part number 82998-12440 and it uses a 2.3 II Yazaki terminal. List price on that wire is $7.99, though, and using repair wires means that the harness will be full of butt splices and wires of the same color.

I ordered a bunch of Yazaki terminals and seals and am using wires pulled from a sequoia - fewer connections, different colors, and a lot cheaper. The repair wires are really just to make it easy for service techs to fix damaged wires without tearing harnesses apart.
Selection_005.png

It's interesting that the process you described is exactly what I did last night. I spent [a lot] of time cross referencing images in the Toyota HZJxx electrical schematic manual to images associated with p/ns in the RM06H0E manual. Combined with a not so inconsiderable amount of Google-fu, I think I have a pretty reliable list of connector part numbers that would be needed to make my own engine sub-harness.

Glow timer water temp switch connector 90980–10736
90980-10736.PNG

Brake fluid level sender 90980–11207
90980-11207.PNG

Engine oil level sender 90980–10532 (Repair section - 82998-12270, if the connector doesn’t come with the crimp connectors)
90980-10532.PNG

Tachometer pickup connector 90980-11157 (Repair section - 82998-12440, if needed)
90980-11157.PNG

The only thing I need to figure out now is the orientation of the ring terminals at the glow resistor and glow bar...

I'll post this in the diesel section to see if anyone has an idea how the terminals should connect to the resistor:

glow wiring.jpg

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Any chance you could tell me the color codes of the two heavy wires at the glow resistor? I'm trying to figure out the order of the wires where they connect to the insulator block on the resistor. One should be Black-White and the other Black-Red...

I do see that the fusible linked wire to the glow timer is under [what I'm calling] the isolator block, so that's a start!

Last edited:
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Any chance you could tell me the color codes of the two heavy wires at the glow resistor? I'm trying to figure out the order of the wires where they connect to the isolator block on the resistor. One should be Black-White and the other Black-Red...

I do see that the fusible linked wire to the glow timer is under [what I'm callin] the isolator block, so that's a start!

I need more direction I have the vehicles but I dont know $hit

Gotcha. Either way, I really appreciate the photos! I should be able to figure it out. The wiring diagram shows that the fusible link (the wire with the braided insulation is coupled with the heavy lead to the glow bar so I can deduce that that wire must be the Black-Red wire. The one on top must be the Black-White wire from the afterglow relay.

Thanks again!

I have several mine-converted HZJ79's. I'm not certain that every engine harness was robbed from each of them, as several were modified by different supply companies here. The Miller HZJ79's with Hurth axles note a " Murphy Engine Control/Safety System? " I could check if you find yourself down to a part number.

This is what I need to know:
IMG_3222 (1).JPG

Wires are different colors on a HDT and can only be connected correctly one way based on ring terminal size. Glow Plug Resistor is wired as follows:
1- LARGE RING TERMINAL, B-L (B-R ON HZ): TO GLOW PLUGS
2- LARGE RING TERMINAL, B-W: FUSIBLE LINK
3- SMALL RING TERMINAL, B-O (B-W ON HZ): TO CONNECTOR IG1 PIN 15, GLOW PLUG RESISTOR
IMG_3222 (2).jpg

IMG_3222 (3).JPG

There are quite a few different hard to find Yakazi terminals used on the factory harness. Connectors are the easy part. Deutsch closed barrel would be the best solution if you decide to wire yourself. Would recommend a harness from Dave at Japan 4x4 to save time. I might be able to part with this engine harness..... will know in another week.

Last edited:
View attachment 2011761
Wires are different colors on a HDT and can only be connected correctly one way based on ring terminal size. Glow Plug Resistor is wired as follows:
1- LARGE RING TERMINAL, B-L (B-R ON HZ): TO GLOW PLUGS
2- LARGE RING TERMINAL, B-W: FUSIBLE LINK
3- SMALL RING TERMINAL, B-O (B-W ON HZ): TO CONNECTOR IG1 PIN 15, GLOW PLUG RESISTOR
View attachment 2011790
View attachment 2011832

There are quite a few different hard to find Yakazi terminals used on the factory harness. Connectors are the easy part. Deutsch closed barrel would be the best solution if you decide to wire yourself. Would recommend a harness from Dave at Japan 4x4 to save time. I might be able to part with this engine harness..... will know in another week.

Oh, man. Thanks for posting this. This is super helpful.
-So the B-W/B-O 10 gauge wire runs directly from the sub-relay #30 to the small ring terminal on the glow resistor. Seems settled.
-The fusible link uses a large ring terminal and connects the glow timer to the glow resistor.

Now the only thing I need to figure out is how the B-L/(B-R on a 1HZ) 10 gauge wire connects from the primary glow relay to the large ring terminal and the glow bar. Unless someone has a harness out of the vehicle, I don't think it'll be easy to tell, but I assume somewhere between the resistor ring terminal and the primary glow relay that it is spliced for a lead to the glow bar.

Here is a sketch I made...

glow wiring.jpg

The B-R lead in the sketch above is B-L on the HDJxx harness. I'm just wondering how/where the factory Tee'ed the connection to deal with the current flowing to the glowbar.

That's correct, B-L splices into the feed to the Glow Relay (and it's 3mm!)
IMG_5785[15800].JPG

IMG_5786[15801].JPG

This should be posted in tech - haha.

So if you're trying to do this for cheap, I could lend you this harness to copy if it helps?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom