Builds 1HNDRD build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Folded back the pinch weld and reshaped the fender liner.
No rubbing.
Have not wheeled

Paused the project long enough to give Forty a scrub and shower... After a evening cruise.

IMG_20200608_190419.jpg

Now back to the wires...

Installed the rear lights this evening. Connected and operational!
(still need to connect to switch thru relay/fuse... Also I want to tidy up the connection points at the corners of the rack)

IMG_20200608_205814.jpg

IMG_20200608_210813.jpg

MVIMG_20200608_210850.jpg

IMG_20200608_214708.jpg

!!!

I stuffed the wire/loom into the crossbar channel and used a piece of double-sided tape every 8" or so... We'll see if it works long term...

IMG_20200608_213613.jpg

Side lights next.. Or maybe hook up the light bar.

Or maybe something else

Good progress the last couple of evenings...
Finished mounting/connecting the rack lights and then realized that one of the will interfere with the awning so I'll need to slightly relocate it once I mount the awning... I still need to tidy up the wires and secure them to the rack. I ordered a few clamps and fasteners for it. Below are a couple of random pictures.

IMG_20200609_211419.jpg

IMG_20200610_185359.jpg

Next I resumed and finished the fuse panel assembly..

IMG_20200611_172918.jpg

IMG_20200611_172929.jpg

This evening I got the panel installed and quite a few of the connections completed..

IMG_20200611_182514.jpg

The 120A breaker is probably redundant but I figure it can double as a master switch for aux battery output

I've got 6 relays for the lights, 1 for future air compressor, 2 for future Locker actuators, and 1 spare circuit in case I have another idea. The last relay on the line is for the winch master switch which will run directly off the main battery.
I also have 2 spare non-switched positions on the fuse block one of which will be the circuit for power to the rooftop tent. (light, phone charger, etc)

IMG_20200611_213912.jpg

The National Luna 100A in line fused connection (without a fuse for now)
IMG_20200611_190647.jpg

Also finally received the AGM battery that I ordered a month ago and secured it into place
IMG_20200611_213855.jpg

Next:
- aux battery connections
- connect switch wires and light wires to terminal strips
- learn how to correctly connect switches
- install switches into overhead console (wire is already in place)
- locate power source for switch backlighting
- run wires from fuse panel to front bumper area for driving lights
- connect winch and winch master switch
- probably forgetting several things

Feels good to see it coming together..!
😎

A bit more progress today...

I got all the connections made on the panel except for winch master circuit (wires in place, just need to connect) and the future stuff (rock lights, lockers, air compressor)

IMG_20200613_132644.jpg

Late this evening I made the discovery that 3 of the terminals on the strip are cross-connected somehow... 😡
I think it's either in the terminal strip itself (unlikely) or a couple of connectors are stripped & touching underneath the panel. This would be a major time-consuming correction... 😖
I'll need to track it down and get it fixed.

Anyway, prior to that unfortunate discovery, I made all the connections on the dual battery.

IMG_20200613_163243.jpg

Controller is working as it should...

IMG_20200613_164716.jpg

Engine bay overview..
IMG_20200613_165955.jpg

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...!

I also got started on installing the switches...

IMG_20200613_201536.jpg
IMG_20200613_202030.jpg
IMG_20200613_202043.jpg

I'm switching negative per the experts' recommendation. I'm pretty much at a standstill on the switch connections until I can find some answers on how to connect with this configuration. I have 1 common ground, 1 wire for each switch, and 1 wire for dash illumination. I have 5-pin rocker switches. I have not been able to find a wiring diagram for the switches for the negative switching
If anyone sees this and can help, please let me know.

Other questions:
- Where can I tie into the dash illumination?
- And when I do, will this create an unwanted link between the main battery and the aux battery?
- when connecting relays for negative switching, do pins 30 & 86 go to + or pins 30 & 85..?

Thanks in advance

The cross-connection I mentioned has mysteriously corrected itself... I tested it every way I could think of and tried to duplicate anything that might have contributed to it yesterday but couldn't make it do it again... So that's weird.
🤞

I'm still seeking information on the above questions...

How do you guys with "modified" vehicles insure them adequately?
I've got my 40 with Hagerty but technically they won't take an "off road" or a "recreational" vehicle... I would consider my 100 to meet both of these designations.

So I had to back up and re-do some things...
After spending several hours in systematic trial and error, a couple of conversations with @RocketCityCrzrs, a few you-tubes, and several Google searches, I finally determined that it is not possible to achieve proper switch illumination in a standard rocker switch while switching ground... You can get close, but not correct. (accessory on/off isn't a problem, dash lights illumination can be done... However, the upper switch LED will be either constant or reversed) Because I am adverse to anything incorrect, I decided to change my format and put my switches on the positive side.

A keen eye will notice a difference here versus the earlier pictures.
IMG_20200616_212652.jpg

What I don't like is the fact that black is not ground... That would have simply been an unreasonable amount of rework. I swapped white and black in the relays and connected white to ground... Everything tests out perfect now so I'm back on track.
I hope to wrap up the electrical (phase 1) this week.
Can't wait... 😎

Finally got the main switch panel connected and semi-installed... I tried my hand at soldering with mixed results. There is not enough space for the crimp-style connectors so I had to used solder and keep everything low-profile. (more on that below)

IMG_20200618_212701.jpg
IMG_20200618_214314.jpg
IMG_20200618_221445.jpg
IMG_20200618_221502.jpg
IMG_20200618_221517.jpg

Everything (including switch illumination) works as it should.
However, the sunglasses cubby is not really quite adequate for the size of the switch panel even with the connections being soldered... It's pretty much stuffed and doesn't look awesome. I'm going to need to come up with a solution to make it look cleaner. See picture in next post.

IMG_20200618_222504.jpg

I can get it to snap in closer than this but it's not great... Thinking maybe I could carefully bend the switch pins over???
We'll see...

Anyway, it does feel like progress nonetheless. A couple of miscellaneous items to wrap up this weekend and I should be able to finally move on to bumpers..

IMG_20200618_221636.jpg

😎

Finally got the main switch panel connected and semi-installed... I tried my hand at soldering with mixed results. There is not enough space for the crimp-style connectors so I had to used solder and keep everything low-profile. (more on that below)

View attachment 2345044View attachment 2345045View attachment 2345046View attachment 2345047View attachment 2345048

Everything (including switch illumination) works as it should.
However, the sunglasses cubby is not really quite adequate for the size of the switch panel even with the connections being soldered... It's pretty much stuffed and doesn't look awesome. I'm going to need to come up with a solution to make it look cleaner. See picture in next post.

Have you checked out @BenCC 's work? He's doing some crazy cool 3D Printing stuff for the 1HNDRD Series. I think his M4V1.4 might be just the fix for you Sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom