1HDT Boost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know what the maximum boost one could run safely on a 1HDT with a safari Intercooler?
Also I would like to get my hands on a heavy duty clutch for the H55/1HDT combo. Where would I find one?

you really need a HD clutch .. ? I'm boosting 15PSI and plenty diesel with isuzu 300M disc and Toyota PP with no problems ..

Clutch

A freind of mine runs a 1HDT in his 75 truck and ran the stock setup for a 1HZ and wishes he didn't.
How is your H55F holding up to the torque?
I still have an option to run a H151 instead. Iam just not sure how much more work would be involved for install into a 62.

A freind of mine runs a 1HDT in his 75 truck and ran the stock setup for a 1HZ and wishes he didn't.

pretty well and actually I like much more the H55F compared to the H150 if you ask to me ..

I still have an option to run a H151 instead. Iam just not sure how much more work would be involved for install into a 62.

Your friend has a lead foot. I've tried to follow him. :D

go the auto :p BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR A TURBO LANDCRUISER

ALWAYS IN PEAK REV RANGE

I have an auto and I'd like to swap it for a manual.

A manual is faster and gives better economy, but it's mainly a matter of taste, I like to drive manuals.

But It's also true that most 80 autos have birfields, shafts and diffs in much better condition than the manuals.

I think autos are better for sand and dunes and also for rock crawling (except downhill). For the rest I'd go with a manual.

I think autos are better for sand and dunes and also for rock crawling (except downhill). For the rest I'd go with a manual.

The only thing that make me think in a Auto again it's the city traffic .. :frown: for all the rest .. love my manual H150 !

Im running my 1HZ turbo intercooled at 11psi atm, but i will be going up to 16psi next time I get it tuned. If i can run my 1HZ at this you should have no drama's running the 1HDT at 16psi or more.

auto

''auto is better for sand and rocks'' ...what else is there?
i have had a 5 speed manual 75 series

takes so long to change gears that u fall out of boost
you are always fighting a uphill battle

if you are so worried about going down hill in a auto
fit the lockup clutch mod !

''auto is better for sand and rocks'' ...what else is there?
i have had a 5 speed manual 75 series

takes so long to change gears that u fall out of boost
you are always fighting a uphill battle

if you are so worried about going down hill in a auto
fit the lockup clutch mod !

You mean the one from Rodney?

I've considered it, but, as my transmission is hydraulic, it won't lock up in 1st and R unless I install the extreme valve body kit. I'd love to, not only for that, but too many $$ after shipping and rip-off spanish customs.

What about an exhaust break? have anyone tried?

By the way mudstorm, a little off-topic: I read in off road 80's that you lowered 40 º C your exhaust temperatures with the 4wdbits intercooler just by adding the scoop. That's a great improvement. Are those pre-turbo or post-turbo measurements?

Thank you Dousty.

I had read that the 3" exhaust kit that many people replace the stock exhaust with reduced the engine breaking even in 1st gear low range, so I assumed that an exhaust break would work the other way round and helped down hill engine braking.

Thank you mudstorm.

Considering that Warren from 4wdbits stated post turbo lowered temperatures of 50-100ºC depending on the boost, without the scoop, if you added another 40ºC on that the improvement with this intercooler is really big.

I have my 4wdbits intercooler installed now, it looks great and the mechanic said it was really well done. I have not noticed any improvement without the scoop but I don't have EGT gauge yet so it's hard to tell just by the power feeling.

I got two Patrol scoops, one from a 2.8 and one from a 3.0. The 2.8 is exactly the right size, seems like it was designed for it, but the seals are small and don't touch the intercooler, so I'm thinking of either raising the intercooler or fit some kind of spacer so the seals go down. Also thinking of using the 3.0 scoop and cut the seals to adapt it.

What did you do?

I'm taking it from the garage next weekend and sure will post pics, also got a new homemade bumber that I think will look great.

By the way, as there will be some pressure drop after the intercooler and I was already thinking in raising the boost I'm thinkin into using a pair of washers to separate the back of the turbo wastegate as that's the way I've seen most of the guys use to increase turbo pressure.

Have you done that?. What thickness of washers do you use and how much pressure increase do you get with that?

Have you done that?. What thickness of washers do you use and how much pressure increase do you get with that?

I'm using a hellmans boost controller ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom