1HDT ACSD replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posting this as a new thread to make it easier to search.

My 1HDT has been clicking loudly from the area of the fuel pump when it is cold. When the engine is at normal operating temp, the clicking disappeared. Dana Adams told me his had the same problem and he disabled his Assist(?) Cold Start Device and the noise disappeared.

Looking at the manual, I did the following test. Using a screwdriver to turn the lever away from the thermowax cylinder makes the clicking sound go away (WARNING 8MB file):
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/beanz2/ih8mud/?action=view&current=TickingACSD.flv
(the engine doesn't actually sound louder when the lever is turned, just that the clicking sound was so loud, my camera adjusts its microphone gain automatically. When the clicking noise goes away the usual engine sounds don't actually get louder.)

This is how I went about replacing it. The OEM ACSD device (22790-17540) costs upward of $300 US from Denso dealers. Of course it is not available from the local Toyota dealer. There is a similar part used in the 2LT Toyota trucks with the part number 22790-54551 that costs relatively cheap at $55:

DSC01147.sized.jpg

The part is virtually identical except for a different lever arm and a slightly shorter actuator that fits into the pump::

DSC01144.sized.jpg

First I removed the idle up lever:
Picture_001.sized.jpg

The hex bolts are tight. This is not a job for a cheapie set of hex wrenches from Harbor Freight. Finding a good quality 5.5mm hex socket is virtually impossible on this side of the pond. Snap-On, Matco, Craftsman do not make a 5.5mm socket :frown: I finally bought a set of SK Tools that had a 5.5mm but it is not available individually.

There are 3 bolts attaching the ACSD to the fuel pump, the first one was removed to take off the idle up lever. The lower one is a bit of a bother to take off as it is not visible from above or below. A good mirror would have helped but I did it by feel. When the last bolt is off, be ready for a few ounces of fuel to spill on the floor.
Picture_007.sized.jpg

The O-ring part number is 22193-17840. It is available from Toyota. My dealer charged me about $7 a piece, but I know it can be had for much less from other sources :mad:

Lying side by side, the units look very similar. Note the shape differences of the external arm. The length of the internal arm differs by about 1.5mm but it didn't seem to make a difference in the fit or function.
Picture_002.sized.jpg

Picture_003.sized.jpg

The 1HDT external arm was then swapped to the 2LT ACSD. This had to be done carefully on a vise. I attached a pair of needle nosed ViseGrip wrench to the arm so I could control the spring tension which tried to flick everything all over the garage:
Picture_005.sized.jpg

Here is the new ACSD installed on the fuel pump:
Picture_008.sized.jpg

Now the clicking noise is gone at cold idle (WARNING another large movie file):
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/beanz2/ih8mud/?action=view&current=MOV01231.flv

Dave

Last edited:
Ah, so that's what the bugger looks like inside. I've been wondering for ages.

I'm pulling my ACSD but rather than replace it I'm just going to put a blanking plate over the hole, and get rid of the bugger for good.

Dave,

You have nice-looking hands. ;)

Thanks for sharing the info.

Mot

Are the pictures coming up red Xs???

Turned off my antivirus program and still no pics just little red xs

not getting pictures either, would like to see them.
If you need to host them externally, beanz, let me know and I'll put them on sandcrusier.com w/ links here

Hey guys, anyway to get these pics back? I need to do this on my truck.

Thanks

I second djsherif's question - anyone have a copy of this post before the pictures disappeared?

While we're on it...engine stumbling or intermitent Cruise Control issues may be an early sign of ACSD problems to come.

Blanking was on the radar but of course when time permitted.
Having ignored this I did have to rebuild my system after failure during a road trip, luckily we nursed her home...filling the IP with shavings, a statement to how tough the system is.

Any shop worth their salt will have blanking plates kicking around. Plus HZ pumps have most of the identical parts except our injector timing cams are different.

Good Luck

Pics of Damage
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/370802-1990-hdj-80-stalling.html#post5402936

Last edited:
The 1HZ doesn't have an ACSD. I am presently completely snowed in, and both my snowblowers broke within days of each other :( , so I haven't started the beast since the problem happened last week. Oddly, the stalling lasted only a while. But Squash's post has me really worried, I''m touching wood. Definitely must have a look at it tomorrow. As I don't have another vehicle, it needs to be addressed ASAP.

I wonder if the site is down, where you posted the pictures. I'm not getting anything.

I had my ACSD go on my 1HD-t too, I got to it before the pin broke off, but I still had shavings inside the housing. I think when it's starts to go, the pin doesn't release, and it just gets hammered. I put a blanking plate on it now, but still have some small issues after a IP rebuild, and injector nozzle replacement. Had the pump done a second time with better results, but when the engine shuts down it clacks and shutters abruptly, it makes me wince. Also feels harder to start too, not as crisp as it use to be. Is there another switch somewhere that works with the ACSD, for when the engine has warmed up? I notice when I have the throttle locked to keep the revs up around 800 rpms, about after a min. or two, I can hear a slight click and it starts to rev up, and that's when I take the throttle lock off. Also the throttle lock is acting up too, it's sometimes hard to lock it in position, and some other times it's easy?

Well hell- I've got 160 K on the thing now, I think I'd rather replace it with a new one, than screw around with the throttle stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom