1hdft / A442F truck from hell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys....
I am new to this so thank you for having me and letting me share. I am having issues with my 80s 1HD-FT with a A442F gearbox i bought six months back as project vehicle thats now giving me so much trouble.

HISTORY: The car was a wreck, no service history and not maintained but i took it anyway because it had potential and it was moving well considering its faults. I have worked on the turbo, the suspension, tyres new, cooling system new, braking system new, all new fluids and filters in the engine, transfer case, diffs and gearbox. Vacuum lines have been replaced and put according the the manual and lastly the injectors and injector pump have been serviced and tested all meant to be working well.
PROBLEM: Now i have had issues with the vehicle this only start recently, the car will move perfect when cold even 1/4 turn key start hot or cold. When you travel some distance the speedo needle starts to jump and then the truck feels as if the gears are changing up and down and sometimes feels as if you pulling off in third gear. It doesn't happen every time but when it does happen i stop switch off and wait a while and she goes fine after until it starts again.

I am out in Zimbabwe really at my wits end looking for advise please cruiser techs here do not seem to know whats going on and they got me throwing money at any idea they come up with. thanks....

UPDATE: If the glow light is on it performs badly gears erratically changing but if i stop, turn off the ignition and pull out the ECU B fuse....wait for 10 sec and plug it back in then start her up again its golden it moves well and no glow plug light on the dash and no gear issues she moves like new again. I cannot figure it out.

Search in the diesel tech section of the forum.

Does it blow white smoke when its running badly?

Your description is unclear.

From what you describe, I'm going to guess it Sounds like you have air getting into the fuel system.
Super common issue with old diesels
Very easy to fix and not expensive.

Also, if you've had old rubber fuel hoses disconnected and reused them, highly likely you have a poor seal on a hose which is letting air get sucked in to the fuel

Search in the diesel tech section of the forum.

Does it blow white smoke when its running badly?

Your description is unclear.

From what you describe, I'm going to guess it Sounds like you have air getting into the fuel system.
Super common issue with old diesels
Very easy to fix and not expensive.
thank you, yes it smokes a bit when its not running smooth that is when the glow plug light is illuminating on the dash. But if i pull the ECU B 10amp fuse out for 10 seconds and plug it back it and start it then it runs smooth no smoke at all and runs perfect.

HD-FT does not use a computer to manage fuel at all.
Ecu will be for emissions gear only.

Not sure which light your refer to as the glow plug light. Do you have a picture?

I highly recommend searching for "clear hose" in the diesel tech section. Easy way to test and verify if air is your problem

Okay i will try a clear hose. This is the glow plug light below. When this light is on the gears shift erratically, it smokes and i have no power.
1700736259033.png

HD-FT does not use a computer to manage fuel at all.
Ecu will be for emissions gear only.

Not sure which light your refer to as the glow plug light. Do you have a picture?

I highly recommend searching for "clear hose" in the diesel tech section. Easy way to test and verify if air is your problem
thank you again.

Fixed...

Changed torque converter and got the injector pump looked at and serviced.

Got the TPS adjusted, which can be difficult to do if your throttle adjustment is out.

The error code 71 with the swirly light (glow light) still comes up at times especially when you press the throttle hard at take off or overtaking but she still performs well.....better than before not perfect but better.

I will just need to sort out my kickdown cable which seems to be sticking on the return....it leaves a bit slack when you press full throttle and release. Thanks again for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom