1HD-T idle drop when facing upwards-FIXED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes sir. All correct.

Awesome. Thanks.

Out of interest, what could cause idle on a 1HDFT pump to all of a sudden drop?

I backed off my main screw (found a nylon spacer on the B/C pin restricting its depth so removed that which required a dial back on the main screw for full load/boost fuel), which then required me to bump the idle up a touch (just using the idle stop screw, no change to the dampner screw). All was running ok for a few months; the pump has ACSD but the levers/bell cranks fell off at one point so the timing adjuster is still there but there is nothing there to move it off the plunger that moves with coolant temp. So the red parts in the pic (my truck is manual to ignore the TPS and kick down).

Then last week all of the sudden the idle dropped to 200rpm on multiplte occasions. Is it something more sinister or just a matter of resetting the idle using the method your described above?

Pump was rebuilt about 30,000km/18,000miles ago. Fresh fuel filter.

acsd on pump.JPG

Have you read the OP's solution? Parts are available, if you know which ones you want.

Have you read the OP's solution? Parts are available, if you know which ones you want.

I did-Looked on partsouq.com and amayama.com-Parts were available there. Message Akella and hopefully he will get back to me.

Open to recommendations if you know somewhere else i could look?

Fuel injection pump parts are nearly always available for decades after, longer than most part.
If you can find the part numbers, just google them and you can find vendors with those parts. Although some vendors list them as being in stock until you order them.

Everytime I type in the part numbers for the spring 22317-6A210 and 22726-17140 speed control spring I get nothing... my pump now will do this idle drop 100% of the time. It use to be only while facing up.

Are these part numbers possibly no good anymore?

I got a dozen or so potential sources including Parts Souq and Megazip
Any of the diesel vendors that seel rebuilt pumps on Australian ebay would be able to get that part
22317-6A210 This part is also used on Toyotas 3L 1C and 2C diesels used in their Hiace, Liteace Hilux and 4Runners.

22726-17140 is only for 1HD T.

You can also search for sites that convert the number to a Denso part#

Everytime I type in the part numbers for the spring 22317-6A210 and 22726-17140 speed control spring I get nothing... my pump now will do this idle drop 100% of the time. It use to be only while facing up.

Are these part numbers possibly no good anymore?

I have the same issue. Can't find these anywhere. My next step to try to contact denso or diesel injection shops in Australia. If I find anything I will let you know.

I got a dozen or so potential sources including Parts Souq and Megazip
Any of the diesel vendors that seel rebuilt pumps on Australian ebay would be able to get that part
22317-6A210 This part is also used on Toyotas 3L 1C and 2C diesels used in their Hiace, Liteace Hilux and 4Runners.

22726-17140 is only for 1HD T.

You can also search for sites that convert the number to a Denso part#

Rosco thank you for trying to help. I really appreciate it but just because you get a search result on google does NOT mean that they are selling the part. Ihave individually combed through each site on the first two pages of google for each part number. Only possibility is russia - But it seemed sketchy since they wanted a money transfer and were charging over 100.00 dollars for shipping of a spring, so this will be my last resort.

If y

I found one in Riga but you had to spend more than $21.20 USD to place an order.

The 1hd t was made until 2006. Try this one 22317-54730 instead of 22317-6A210. Its a damper spring , correct?

But sometimes the only way you can safely order inj pump parts is to give the details on the pump tag to someone who has access to the Denso site

Several 80 series have reported an annoying problem, including mine: When facing steep uphill slopes the idle drops from the recommended 750rpm to about 400 rpm. This has been discussed several times in the forum. Pusher pumps do not seem to fix the problem, and so far people just decided to live with it.

On my truck a similar thing happened when I decided to just idle along without using the accelerator-idle dropped to 400rpm, quite annoying.

After reading up on the intricacies of these pumps I thought the so called damper spring could be the culprit. This spring senses increased load at idle and up-regulates the fuel flow slightly in response.

The damper spring is located in the head of the pump, you can find it in the 1HD-T manual on page FU-31. There is a spring system that connects the speed control lever/adjusting lever with the fuel control system in the bottom of the pump. The speed control hooks to the adjusting lever, this to the speed control spring, which is hooked to a spring seat that also contains the damper spring. If you look at the pic below it will all become clear.

I decided to change the damper spring, the spring seat, the speed control spring and of course the gasket for the head of the pump. While I had my pump fully rebuilt, these parts are toyota specific and were clearly not swapped out during the rebuild.

The procedure is not too hard: Take the fuel lines off the head of the pump, take the A/C idle up off, remove the low and high idle screws, and then carefully remove the 4 bolts that hold the head of the pump. Fuel will pour out, but after that you can carefully tilt the head of the pump forward. Remember that the head and bottom of the pump are hooked together with the speed control spring. You have to unhook this spring from the spring seat to remove the head completely. The manual describes the procedure more accurately. Make sure the spring seat and damper spring don't fall into the pump at this point! It is not required to remove the adjusting lever.
Then change the springs, the gasket, carefully re-hook the speed control spring to the newly placed spring seat and re-seat the pump head. That is a bit of a pain, since the spring loaded idle up system needs to be in the exactly correct position to seat the pump head correctly. But definitely doable with some playing and cursing.
Then bolt the system back together, hook everything up, and your problem has been solved.

I do not see the idle drop at inclines anymore, and when I just use the idle to go forward, it re-adjusts to around 700, just as it should.

Hope that helps someone in the future. Below is the page out of the manual that shows the springs, and all the parts that you need. I got them out of europe from my brother via Toyota Austria, but I am sure you can get them in Australia or Japan as well. The seal and the spring seat is actually available from Toyota USA via Toyota parts zone.
I bought 3 sets and we will keep one set at the shop as spares. So one set is available. While the springs are only a few $ each, I am asking $40 for the set (speed control spring, spring seat, damper spring and gasket) plus shipping, as we paid lots in shipping. If you need these and find the price outrageous, I understand. Please get your own, the numbers are below. Or I would exchange the set for an OEM hand throttle assembly, as sold by Akella.

Cheers,
Jan
View attachment 639420
Hi mate, just got an 80 1HDT and having this issue. Can you please tell me where you bought/ordered the springs from??

Cheers mate

Can you please tell me where you bought/ordered the springs from??
Jan doesnt come here much anymore and he is in North America. Try United Diesel in Redcliffe, or any diesel injection workshop. Or just a Toyota dealer.

Cheers mate, had actually thought about calling UFI on Monday 🤙🏻
If you googled the part numbers pictured on the first page by Jan, you would get loads of places to buy them from at cheaper rate than a brick and mortar outlet.

Hi everyone,

The part numbers on the front page were for 1hd-t pump. Does anyone know if they are the same for 1hd-ft?

Also, are there any write ups for doing this on 1hd-ft auto? I have a TPS sensor sitting on top of the throttle mechanism, attached by 2 Philips head bolts and for the life of me I can figure out how to get the screw out that’s sitting right under the air manifold (without taking off the manifold).

bumping an old thread and Adding to the list of things to do!!!!

No one in this world change those springs when pump is mounted in car. (1hd-t) there is no change for pump cover move enough, if you dont remove intake manifold first

No one in this world change those springs when pump is mounted in car. (1hd-t) there is no change for pump cover move enough, if you dont remove intake manifold first
If you rotate the top of the pump away from engine, retard the static timing, it'll give you much more clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom