1HD-FT starting problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just want to start this off by saying I am not a mechanic, but I have been trying to diagnose this issue by reading the FT repair manual. I've got a LHD 1996 80 series in the States.

So about a month ago I went to the doctors. Truck started up immediately like always. Then when I came out, it was just cranking. Cranking HARD, so I could tell it wasn't a battery or starter issue. I tried to pop the clutch because I was on a decline, but she wouldn't go. Had it towed to a mechanic(I was far from home). The next day he called me and said it started right up for him. I had it towed down to my mechanic, and that day it was starting fine. Finally the same thing happened while my mechanic tried to start it. He also said one time it started, then ran rough for a couple seconds and then stalled. It did start after that tho. But for the past couple weeks it hasn't been starting at all.

We thought at first it may have been an immobilizer issue(it does have one), but we eliminated that. So it's probably air getting in somewhere, or I've been told the fuel cut solenoid. I've tried to read the repair manual about changing the solenoid, but it's not really clear. Do I have to take off the whole injection pump to get to it? Is there a way to just test if it's working with a 12v without doing that? What else should I be checking?

I'm so lost, just wanna get her back on the road. And now the alternator on my second car just died, so I've got no car. Any help would be appreciated.

any chance you got air in the fuel lines?
have you tried to prime the pump before starting?

if you suspect fuel cut solenoid are you getting power to the solenoid? I believe the fuel cut solenoid is connected to the glow circuit.

any chance you got air in the fuel lines?
have you tried to prime the pump before starting?

if you suspect fuel cut solenoid are you getting power to the solenoid? I believe the fuel cut solenoid is connected to the glow circuit.
I have tried manually priming the pump. It is getting diesel to the primer, we pulled off the hose and it was coming out.

That's the issue, how do you get to the fuel cut solenoid? I know you can test it by just putting a 12v to it, but my mechanic said it's all the way in the back, and it's a big job to get to it. Is this accurate?

looking at the FSM FSM - Toyota 1HD-FT Engine Repair Manual - Publication Number RM437E (pdf) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/resources/toyota-1hd-ft-engine-repair-manual-publication-number-rm437e-pdf.108/

page EG-152 it only looks like the top of the pump needs to come off...

not sure why your mechanic says it's a big job it doesn't look too hard to me

have you already gone thru all the troubleshooting steps in the manual for diesel no start?
maybe you can get to it without removing the pump top there may be room to get a tool in there
1662320921453.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom