1HD-FT or 7.3L Powerstroke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's worth the time and money, a 1HD-FT Land Cruiser or a Ford 250/350 with a 7.3L Powerstroke?

Trying to use this as a daily driver, family hauler (5 people), a 5th wheel puller, and a low profile bugout vehicle.

Going to be tough to pull a 5th wheel with a cruiser.

The vehicles are so different in so many ways. 7.3 Expedition might be something to consider.

Trying to use this as a daily driver, family hauler (5 people), a 5th wheel puller, and a low profile bugout vehicle.

For this use, the newest, lowest mileage F-series pickup your budget can afford.

1HD-FT if you want to be cool. 7.3 for practicality.

F250/350 is going to be a tight fit with 3 people for any long drives. Are you just wanting a diesel for a diesel? If you aren’t towing often I’d just get a gas rig (Currently own a 7.3 myself). If you’re wanting a diesel or a diesel then get whatever will make you happy. 7.3s are great but slow, even with a a tuner, they also are all getting up in age and will need maintenance and low mileage ones are going for over 20k currently.

F250/350 is going to be a tight fit with 3 people for any long drives. Are you just wanting a diesel for a diesel? If you aren’t towing often I’d just get a gas rig (Currently own a 7.3 myself). If you’re wanting a diesel or a diesel then get whatever will make you happy. 7.3s are great but slow, even with a a tuner, they also are all getting up in age and will need maintenance and low mileage ones are going for over 20k currently.
I'm wanting a diesel for the durability and longevity.

I've got a family of 5, 3 kids under the ages of 7, so I would be looking for a truck with the crew cab.

I'm ok with paying over $20K considering current prices of today's trucks (ie $70K+).

i have a 1hdt in my 62. not the 1hdft maybe not quite a proper comparison but it’s been an awesome vehicle for daily driving it’s fun unique and capable for most things. i did haul a 4000 lb camper around western canada for a season but sold it because the engine really couldn’t keep up in a strong headwind or hot summer. it would start to over heat unless i really slowed down. i have it boosted and intercoolered and well tuned and it was still not able to cool well enough. i can haul a 3000 lb boat but have to stay 100km/hr or less to keep egts down. so despite all my efforts to make it a towing rig the 1hdt is maybe not enough. i was constantly stressed i was going to kill my engine and it wasn’t fun. food for thought anyway. i still love it and am glad i have it but may buy a sequoia next year if canada gets more than the stupid red interior in the trd pro 🙄

I had a conversation with a guy who has used and abused more Land Cruiser diesels than
anyone I know. His advise when I asked his opinion on rebuilding my 12HT just to pull
a light utility trailer was not what I thought. He unequivocally told me to go find an old
Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins and build that instead as a tow vehicle. I will agree that there is
no comparison for towing. Don’t get the Ford. Dodges are far superior for towing and economy
in that sense. My personal research is Cummins is best for towing.
Up north I had a discussion with a hunter guide, towing 14 horse trailers into the mountains.
He had two trucks - a new Ford and a new Dodge. The Dodge outperformed the Ford completely.

But I’m an old guy who’s not interested in building or buying another big expensive truck so I’ll
just rebuild the 12HT and go slower, jet boat and gear in tow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom