1FZ Fuel Filter Relocation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice idea. I replaced my filter when taking apart the intake manifold chasing down a P0401. I couldn't find the VSV to even test it until the manifold was off :) I like what you are doing with it and the siphon is a good idea too. I have a backpacking stove that can run on gasoline. It would make transferring fuel for it easy without bringing extra bottles along.

Some good news. Got some goodies in the mail today. All I need is the VSV and I can continue work in the bracket. Hopefully this will help further visualize the system.

Just need to have a few more hoses made and then test the system. Cavitation will be thy enemy!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

you know what my solution to this was Joey :D

LS SWAP IT hahahahha

I outsourced my fuel filter change to the local dealer along with the VSV and PHH. This would be pretty handy for the next FF change. Count me interested.

Any updates?

For those who want to siphon fuel, why not use a marine fuel 3 way valve plumbed into the fuel lines? Leaks might be a concern, but if they're good enough for boats I suppose they're good enough for cars.

OK folks, some good news on this. I now have a shop that can crank out prototypes for me without killing my wallet. I don't see this as being as popular as I hope so I am going to scale back the numbers so I don't kill myself with dust-collecting inventory.

Show of hands, how many are TRULY interested in this? And no, it will not be cheap for two reasons: 1) all of the materials to make this system are NOT cheap and 2) only 10% of those that say they want one will actually purchase one.

Right now it looks like the Relocation Kit will consist of:
• Proxy manifold
• New OEM fuel filter
• (2) Aeroquip straight fittings
• (2) Aeroquip 90deg elbows
• Fuel pressure gauge
• (2) banjo to banjo hoses
• Mounting bracket for gauge, VSV, siphon
• Optional no-spill fuel siphon quick disconnect hose/coupler

OK folks, some good news on this. I now have a shop that can crank out prototypes for me without killing my wallet. I don't see this as being as popular as I hope so I am going to scale back the numbers so I don't kill myself with dust-collecting inventory.

Show of hands, how many are TRULY interested in this? And no, it will not be cheap for two reasons: 1) all of the materials to make this system are NOT cheap and 2) only 10% of those that say they want one will actually purchase one.

Right now it looks like the Relocation Kit will consist of:
• Proxy manifold
• New OEM fuel filter
• (2) Aeroquip straight fittings
• (2) Aeroquip 90deg elbows
• Fuel pressure gauge
• (2) banjo to banjo hoses
• Mounting bracket for gauge, VSV, siphon
• Optional no-spill fuel siphon quick disconnect hose/coupler

I am definetly interested but admit pricing will depend if I can afford it. Do you have even a range of what the pricing will be?

I'm interested pending pricing.

did you ever disclose where the new bracket will mount at???

No not yet. I've had a few ideas but at the end of the day it still needs to be protected or else it just becomes a potential issue in a crash. So it cant go behind bumper or grill or fenders. It needs to stay in the engine bay and away from heat. It means keeping it close to its existing location. I haven't been able to think too much about it mainly because my own truck has so many modifications that there are so few "stock" locations to build off :p

I missed the first post on this, but I love the idea. Bear with me for going over old ground.

I used to design industrial hydraulic power units so my views on this are filter by my experience. They leak like sieves. No one cares, because it's hydraulic fluid and it's expected. But, it doesn't have to be all over the place... In fact, automatic transmission fluid is hydraulic fluid. In mobile equipment (railroad and mining equipment, for example) it's specified to be fireproof, so when it leaks it won't cause flashovers. The motivation here is that fuel is more combustible than hot hydraulic fluid, so...

We used to use special fittings which are advertised as "non spill" (even though they only fit that description when they're new) for customers who couldn't stand contamination from power units. They look like these:
upload_2017-2-7_14-44-8.png

I'd recommend considering these, as well as a hydraulic subplate maniflold, which come in standard sizes and configurations (for valves) which could be designed around from your circuit. I know there are fuel service fittings which are positively leakproof, but they're not for quick disconnect designs.

This is intriguing. I'd like to work up a sketch and send it to you, if you're interested.

As to the earlier comment concerning the applicability of adapting marine designs, boats have a bilge which is designed to collect all sorts of trash, fluid and solid, and vents to prevent the collection of fuel fumes. IMHO, not really a good design model.

I missed the first post on this, but I love the idea. Bear with me for going over old ground.

I used to design industrial hydraulic power units so my views on this are filter by my experience. They leak like sieves. No one cares, because it's hydraulic fluid and it's expected. But, it doesn't have to be all over the place... In fact, automatic transmission fluid is hydraulic fluid. In mobile equipment (railroad and mining equipment, for example) it's specified to be fireproof, so when it leaks it won't cause flashovers. The motivation here is that fuel is more combustible than hot hydraulic fluid, so...

We used to use special fittings which are advertised as "non spill" (even though they only fit that description when they're new) for customers who couldn't stand contamination from power units. They look like these:
View attachment 1397614

I'd recommend considering these, as well as a hydraulic subplate maniflold, which come in standard sizes and configurations (for valves) which could be designed around from your circuit. I know there are fuel service fittings which are positively leakproof, but they're not for quick disconnect designs.

This is intriguing. I'd like to work up a sketch and send it to you, if you're interested.

As to the earlier comment concerning the applicability of adapting marine designs, boats have a bilge which is designed to collect all sorts of trash, fluid and solid, and vents to prevent the collection of fuel fumes. IMHO, not really a good design model.

Yeah you missed all of the first page. ;)

The Parker hi-pressure zero loss quick disconnects I'll be using for the fuel siphoning

IMG_6351.JPG

No not yet. I've had a few ideas but at the end of the day it still needs to be protected or else it just becomes a potential issue in a crash. So it cant go behind bumper or grill or fenders. It needs to stay in the engine bay and away from heat. It means keeping it close to its existing location. I haven't been able to think too much about it mainly because my own truck has so many modifications that there are so few "stock" locations to build off :p
Would be interested about the location as I have charcoal canister relocation bracket and had mounted the arb compressor in that place.
Probably best place is just in the driver corner next to the brake booster.

Jorge

Last edited:
Just bumping this up a little bit. I've started doing production on certain pieces that I know won't change. I've also got CAD files ready for certain pieces.

IMG_2413.PNG

Unless mentioned previously, access to clip on a standard fuel pressure test gauge would be 'nice'.

cheers,
george.

Unless mentioned previously, access to clip on a standard fuel pressure test gauge would be 'nice'.

cheers,
george.

It can be the same port that the "on board" fuel pressure gauge is using or it can use the "siphoning" port.

This is the on-board FPG I've spec'
IMG_6352.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom