1FZ-FE Stock VS Light Head Mods Dyno Numbers (+62 lb-ft) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I tested my LC100 with the gen 2 1FZ-FE on the Dyno today to get a baseline and I’ll retest it after the head mods to see the difference.

My 1FZ motor is completely stock internally, it was rebuilt around 5 months ago

Only mods currently: 4 inch cold air intake and a full exhaust, 6-2-1 tri-y header with a electronic muffler. When the muffler is closed it sounds only a bit louder than stock which means it must still have a good amount of back pressure. When open acts like a straight pipe and is very loud so very minimal back pressure.

First dyno run was with the muffler CLOSED and the second dyno run is with the muffler OPEN.

I wanted to know if back pressure made much of a difference since everyone keeps saying that and you don’t really feel it in the butt dyno, so I didn’t expect much BUT IT DID gain a good amount ! Keep in mind muffler closed vs muffler open so everything else’s in the exhaust stays the same I imagine from the stock cast iron manifolds to headers + muffler open would be a even bigger difference

Dyno run #1 (Muffler closed): 167WHP, 168.2 Pound feet of torque at the wheels

Dyno run #2 (Muffler open): 181WHP, 188.7 Pound feet of torque at the wheels

Even without mods I am pleased with those numbers on a stock motor !, no wonder why this thing is such a blast at the dunes.

Now we established the baseline with the stock motor, here are the mods that I will do to the head:

1. Supertech oversize valves 1.5mm (stock valve size: 1.2mm). https://www.realstreetperformance.c...zfe-39-5mm-1-5mm-flat-swirl-intake-valve.html
2. Supertech valve springs + retainers. https://www.realstreetperformance.c...zfe-82lb-dual-valvesprings-retainers-kit.html
3. Head CNC polish , and ported by hand

All else will be left be left stock.

this is the most popular setup or work done by locals on their 1FZ so let’s see if it is really worth it

All else will be left be left stock.
Picture of my head as it’s being worked on now:

8E580474-9D3E-4143-81AB-F80276DAC31F.jpeg

First Run Result

File_003.jpeg

Second Run Result

File_000.jpeg

RED = HP , BLUE = TORQUE

First run powerband (muffler closed)

File_002.jpeg

Second run powerband (muffler open)

File_001.jpeg

Video of the second dyno run

Head work should finish by Wednesday, I will either take it to the dyno the same day or the day after and will post the results here.

Last edited:
What is this??, completely unexpected results.

Small gain in wheel horsepower, but a massive gain in wheel torque!. I expected the opposite.

On top of that I am making peak hp and peak torque much earlier in the curve, which is really good, I thought oversize valves would flow less due less velocity at lower rpm and make less low end power, that defiantly did not happen based on the results.

Before the headwork: 181 wheel hp, 168 wheel torque

After the headwork: 190 wheel hp, 230 wheel torque (+62 lb-ft !)

PHOTO-2021-04-21-09-16-37 1.jpg

PHOTO-2021-04-21-09-16-37.jpg

Last edited:
Ok wow, why didn't this get more traction? Parts are expensive @~$1300, but it seems like it has some darn good gains.

Ok wow, why didn't this get more traction? Parts are expensive @~$1300, but it seems like it has some darn good gains.
Agreed, so nice to see a thread about performance gains with objective data, as well as how much money it took to get to the end result.

Kudos to the OP. 👍🏼

2 year old thread with no replies wow. Well I wish I saw this before I did my rebuild.

Completely forgot about this thread, glad to see you guys are enjoying it. Went through so many 1FZ-FE projects the past two years it has been an absolute blast. However, not all were properly documented, more to come soon, other than my current 1FZ-FE stroker, have some things planned for other 1FZ-FEs on my other land cruisers such as a high compression turbo high revving build with aluminum rods and lightened standard stroke crankshafts for high RPM, a stroker low compression turbo build aimed for durability and sand dunes, etc.

Completely forgot about this thread, glad to see you guys are enjoying it. Went through so many 1FZ-FE projects the past two years it has been an absolute blast. However, not all were properly documented, more to come soon, other than my current 1FZ-FE stroker, have some things planned for other 1FZ-FEs on my other land cruisers such as a high compression turbo high revving build with aluminum rods and lightened standard stroke crankshafts for high RPM, a stroker low compression turbo build aimed for durability and sand dunes, etc.

I also have a couple 1fz-fe projects:

The supercharged 1fz-fe (Australian version) with Halltech ECU and individual coils with a h55f in a 1972 fj40 (above)

5.2L stroker, 10:1, +1.5mm valves, stage 2 cams with a h55f going in a 1966 fj45lv

5.2L, supercharged, +1.5mm valves, cams going in a stretched 1963 fj40

I also have a couple 1fz-fe projects:

The supercharged 1fz-fe (Australian version) with Halltech ECU and individual coils with a h55f in a 1972 fj40 (above)

5.2L stroker, 10:1, +1.5mm valves, stage 2 cams with a h55f going in a 1966 fj45lv

5.2L, supercharged, +1.5mm valves, cams going in a stretched 1963 fj40
Awesome, I always wanted to try a supercharger on a 1FZ-FE

A stroker with a supercharger sounds amazing, my N/A stroker already has allot of torque down low, I imagine it would be incredibly potent if it was amplified with a supercharger.

Not all 1fz-fe engines are in 80-series trucks.

Thing is all my 1FZ-FEs are on 100 series land cruisers!

In the middle east, the lower trim 100 series land cruisers (G, GX, G.X.R) were equipped with a GEN 2 1FZ-FE from the factory while the luxury trim V.X.R was equipped with the 4.7 V8 you that you guys are used too in the states and in other countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom