1FE Rear heater hose connection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those that are competent, forgive me. I'm sorry to waste your time. We can move on quickly after...
Where does this rear heater hose connect? My brain is melting.
In doing a rear heater bypass, I know I dont need to be concerned where it goes(i guess) but its bothering the shi* outta me.
Wits-End-1FZ-Coolant-Map.jpg

Last edited:
the metal tube your arrow is pointing to? that is on the passenger side of the firewall. it snakes down the firewall tunnel to the rear heater under the passenger seat. a short bit of hose connects it to the "T" fitting.

That runs down the firewall, over the transmission then down the transmission tunnel, over the passenger frame rail where it connects to the next section going back to the rear heater.

Between the two explanations above. It would now be impossible to confuse where it goes.
Thank you for clearing that up extremely quickly... so its this... I think that arrow point in the wrong direction was screwing me all up... but without that diagram, I'd be worse off. So thats wasnt a complaint.
Wits-End-1FZ-Coolant-Map.jpg

Last edited:
you got it. your red line is exactly how it connects. did you figure out where the other pipe from the rear heater connects? :)

I knew that question was coming. Yeah definitely. It goes straight to the horn solenoid!😉

@MrMacdugal Unless I misunderstood your plan (delete rear heater) then the T-Piece in your diagram will not be part of the final setup. You need to get a length of 5/8th heater hose which runs from the passenger side cabin heater matrix to the hardline bypass. The 2 hard pipes that run down the firewall and under the passenger seat will not be plumbed to anything i.e. bypassed.

@MrMacdugal Unless I misunderstood your plan (delete rear heater) then the T-Piece in your diagram will not be part of the final setup. You need to get a length of 5/8th heater hose which runs from the passenger side cabin heater matrix to the hardline bypass. The 2 hard pipes that run down the firewall and under the passenger seat will not be plumbed to anything i.e. bypassed.
Nope. You understood correctly. The T is actually already gone in my vehicle and that part is plumbed correct. I was just trying to make sense of the other plumbing change because whoever did mine made it look weird by leaving lengths of cut hose they could have removed and one hose looked out of place. But I was going off pictures I had of my own set up because it’s cold and I was being lazy.

I know exactly what your saying. I do appreciate any and all feedback. I like when my posts get people chatting.

On another note. Does anyone ever drain the coolant that would otherwise remain in that abandoned system? Or do we just leave it assuming it had a leak and was the reason it was abandoned anyways? I wasn’t the one who made the decision to delete my rear heater. That was already done sloppily when I took possession and I want piece of mind as well as understanding of the routing of the plumbing

Last. I’ll go ahead and state/ask the remaining dumb question. Order the hose from @NLXTACY and ditch this guy? Should just be taking up space
3D1B20C5-15C0-4F16-980B-4161FA9A1508.jpeg

On another note. Does anyone ever drain the coolant that would otherwise remain in that abandoned system? Or do we just leave it assuming it had a leak and was the reason it was abandoned anyways? I wasn’t the one who made the decision to delete my rear heater. That was already done sloppily when I took possession and I want piece of mind as well as understanding of the routing of the plumbing

A rust hole drained all mine for me. I took the lines and the rear heater out. Sealed up the hole in the floorboard and now there's a little more leg room there for a back seat passenger.

Just bought a 97 and starting to go through it. I noticed those lines on mine are 1 step above powdered metal. Any idea how much of a PITA these are to replace? Where can I order new lines?

20211207_144653.jpg

20211207_150840.jpg

20211207_150844.jpg

Just bought a 97 and starting to go through it. I noticed those lines on mine are 1 step above powdered metal. Any idea how much of a PITA these are to replace?

Easy peasy, all you have to do is pull the motor or drop the trans. :flipoff2:

i did not. mine are full of fresh red coolant and i just cap'd the nipples at the firewall. my lines look to be in fine shape but i was chasing a faint coolant smell from the rear of the motor and couldn't isolate the leak. as i already had the bypass kit, i threw it on. no more coolant smell or loss. if i can get through this winter without the rear heater, i may just drain the system for good. if i can't, i'll replumb with new heater hose as i think only the two short hose sections were weeping and put it back in service.

Just bought a 97 and starting to go through it. I noticed those lines on mine are 1 step above powdered metal. Any idea how much of a PITA these are to replace? Where can I order new lines?
wow. those are rough. you aren't replacing the hard lines w/o an engine/trans out service. you are in va beach? bypass. if you like pain, i've heard of others with equally as bad lines running 1/2" heater hose in parallel w/ the hard lines all the way back to the heater itself.

wow. those are rough. you aren't replacing the hard lines w/o an engine/trans out service. you are in va beach? bypass. if you like pain, i've heard of others with equally as bad lines running 1/2" heater hose in parallel w/ the hard lines all the way back to the heater itself.

^^ this

i did not. mine are full of fresh red coolant and i just cap'd the nipples at the firewall. my lines look to be in fine shape but i was chasing a faint coolant smell from the rear of the motor and couldn't isolate the leak. as i already had the bypass kit, i threw it on. no more coolant smell or loss. if i can get through this winter without the rear heater, i may just drain the system for good. if i can't, i'll replumb with new heater hose as i think only the two short hose sections were weeping and put it back in service.

Seems to be the general consensus. I am in VA Beach. Looks like I will be bypassing. So this heater core just runs the rear 3rd row? Won't the front heater work fine for the whole vehicle? New to this and not familiar with the pros and cons

So this heater core just runs the rear 3rd row? Won't the front heater work fine for the whole vehicle? New to this and not familiar with the pros and cons
The rear heater is located under the passenger's front seat. The front heater will still work.

Seems to be the general consensus. I am in VA Beach. Looks like I will be bypassing. So this heater core just runs the rear 3rd row? Won't the front heater work fine for the whole vehicle? New to this and not familiar with the pros and cons
3rd row has nothing. the "rear" heater blows hot air to the 2nd row passenger footwell.

i've had mine bypassed for a few weeks now up here in the DC suburbs, and we've had a few days in the 30's. my kids in the back say its plenty warm. i don't use the 3rd row for passengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom