1999 land cruiser will not start (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am a new member with probably an old problem already answered. I would appreciate any help with my 1999 landcruiser that just recently won't start. The battery has been checked, a jump doesn't help. It starts when it is ready.

I think John Shotts had a problem with fuseable links coming off his battery cables didn't he??

Check that out.

I also had some starter problems, but with a few clicks, then the motor got going, I recently had to replace the starter on my 2000LC with 97K on it. That might be contributing, good luck. :)

It really isn't that terrible of a job if it is the starter contacts. It sounds much worse than it is.

It really isn't that terrible of a job if it is the starter contacts. It sounds much worse than it is.

Ditto. If you are mechanically inclined and work on your own junk its not that big o-deal. Have all the gaskets on hand along with a new starter or contacts and about 1/2 day and its done.

If you're not mechanically inclined and/or don't work on your own junk then it might be a PITA if you attempt to do it yourself.

Ditto. If you are mechanically inclined and work on your own junk its not that big o-deal. Have all the gaskets on hand along with a new starter or contacts and about 1/2 day and its done.

If you're not mechanically inclined and/or don't work on your own junk then it might be a PITA if you attempt to do it yourself.
i didnt change out any of my gaskets, they didnt need it. I guess i will change them out when i replace my starter for the third time.

I actually had it done, as I am not mechanically inclined and it was a big job and cost me lots of labor from a dealership, as I haven't found a mechanic that I trust, maybe some day.

also had a new battery put in, so yep! It hurt!

Mine is starting to give me trouble when it is really cold, will eventually start, so I need to plan to do starter or contacts.

I am at 150k so I am thinking whole new starter? $35 contacts vs. $189 starter, seems safer to only have to do this once to change whole starter.

any thoughts or experiences?

actually I turn the key and there is absolutely nothing....try several times before it responds, then once it cranks, it cranks strong and starts like a champ.

Just threw in a brand new die hard too.

How many miles do you think the starter is good for once contacts replaced? 300k? :)

Yep, that's contacts. Seems like most people report replacing them 100-150k, but then some go a lot longer. Don't know if it depends on how often your starting your vehicle that wears them or what.

How many times you start the vehicle will determine the length of the life. It really isn't that terrible of a job. No grease, no stinky stuff, and you don't have exhaust bolts or corrosion to deal with usually on that part of the engine. The Nippondenso starters are very good. The contacts wear out but the rest of the starter will be good. I've driven probably more than 700,000 miles on Nippondenso starters and never replaced one. But I've done contacts a few times.

stater problems 100 series Cruiser

Has anyone replaced the starter contacts and is it difficult?

any pics

Same problem, different issue. My 99 LC recently had the battery die on it. I jumped it, drove it to the the local car parts store, replaced the battery, and drove it home. The alternator is fine.

Drove it the next day, no problems, and I started it 3 times that day. The next morning, it cranked fine, but wouldn't kick over to start. the starter is turning nice and fast, but no starting. I'm thinking some sort of fuel problem (filter, pump) but it just seems odd that the problem started right after the battery issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom