1998 diesel 1hdfte japanese mkt, with 187k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just purchased, looking for a reasonable knowledgeable service facility in the Daytona beach area?
Took it to my local garage , good people, couldn't locate oil filter? I ordered one from "Wits End" $29.00 PLUS $13.00 SHIPPING. I think I made a mistake with this one. I have restored a half dozen 40"s
I am 76 years old, not to tech savvy. I am thinking I need to sell? Your replies will help me make a decision.

Congratulations, that's a rare bird you have, and the 1HD-FTE engine is widely considered one of the finest powerplants Toyota put into a Land Cruiser. I recommend you take a look at www.partsouq.com for parts, you can use your vehicle's ID tag to zero in on the right parts and they are often price-competitive with locally sourced parts, even after shipping.

If you're not comfortable doing the work yourself, you may want to consider having a reputable shop baseline that truck for you and take care of deferred maintenance. You might have to drive it across multiple states to drop it off, but it will be worth it. I will let folks more local to you make those recommendations, I'm in Austin, TX and would recommend AJ Yotas here if you're willing to drive (or ship) and are not in a hurry (busy shop).

Last edited:
If you are able to view this video, it appears to show a lot of the maintenance items. Looks like oil filter might be top-right-side of the block, accessed from under the hood. (If the preview image below shows, you can see it just next to the curve in the '5')

You looking for a shop recommendation or advice whether you should keep it or not? Also should check the "bad sellers" section for info on that vendor.
If I can find a knowledgeable tech relatively close ( that includes Orlando) that's tuned in on getting parts in a timely fashion I'll keep it. I love driving it, its' tight , quiet , absolutely no rust, Paint is in great shape as well as the interior. I'm not into hardcore off-road, but I know this version of this engine is mildly tuned and I would be interested in putting a little more pep under the hood?

Congratulations, that's a rare bird you have, and the 1HD-FTE engine is widely considered one of the finest powerplants Toyota put into a Land Cruiser. I recommend you take a look at www.partsouq.com for parts, you can use your vehicle's ID tag to zero in on the right parts and they are often price-competitive with locally sourced parts, even after shipping.

If you're not comfortable doing the work yourself, you may want to consider having a reputable shop baseline that truck for you and take care of deferred maintenance. You might have to drive it across multiple states to drop it off, but it will be worth it. I will let folks more local to you make those recommendations, I'm in Austin, TX and would recommend AJ Yotas here if you're willing to drive (or ship) and are not in a hurry (busy shop).
I appreciate the insight and I'll look into partssouq as a source. I have a trailer so I could transport and leave for a period of time, but with the other projects going I'm going to have to look for somebody a little closer to home. I have to believe there is a shop within 50 miles of Daytona that's capable, I just haven't found them yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom