1995 Toyota Landcruiser stalls upon startup. What do I do? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Morning,

Yesterday I wanted to take the cruiser to the grocery store to stretch its legs since its my weekend car and I havent driven it in awhile. To my suprise, the engine immediately died after cranking the engine. Cranking sounded fine, but as soon as the engine turns on, it turns off in about one second. I tried one or two more times and it came up to 600 rpm (I normally sit at 700 idle). After maybe 300 seconds, the engine started drifting to 400 rpm. I turned the car off and waited. I tried again and it went to 800rpm. It revved up fine, but again, started slowly drifting down to 300 rpm. Where do I begin to look?

Forget to give some context. 1995 Toyota Landcruiser. Appox 100K miles. No engine lights or codes. I occasionally have an issue with the car revving itself really high upon startup but it only does this when I reconnect the battery (I leave my battery disconnected when I dont drive it for awhile). Last time I drove it was 5 days ago and everything was fine.

Once the engine's running the battery's offline.

Revving high at startup is normal.

If it starts, you're getting fuel. If it dies, and you're getting fuel, you're starved for air. Look there for your answer.

I'd discount potential electrical problem until the mechanical components are ruled out.

Once the engine's running the battery's offline.

Revving high at startup is normal.

If it starts, you're getting fuel. If it dies, and you're getting fuel, you're starved for air. Look there for your answer.

I'd discount potential electrical problem until the mechanical components are ruled out.
When it revs, it gets to 2000 rpm,drops to 1000 and tries to climb back to 2000 rpm on startup. Again this is only occasionally.

The cold start operation (with the A/C off) should be 800-1000 rpm cold, 650 when warm. This may take 2-3 minutes, when the outside air is 70°. This will change with other temperatures.

The rpm should never increase after it falls to normal 650 ± 50 rpm (again, A/C off - all troubleshooting has to be done this way). If it does, you have an engine control problem.

I can't tell whether you're describing a cold, initial start operation or a change from cold to warm. How long from cold ignition to each rpm change? What happens after you've successfully started the engine and it's reached normal operating temperature?

All the above; any recent maintenance or cleaning of any kind on the engine?

Does it die when started cold or only after the engine warms up a bit?

Also check the easy things like a disconnected/cracked PCV or breather hose (top of valve cover to the intake manifold). Check the large air intake hose between the pleated sections. That often gets torn (underside first) when the air filter (can) lid is lifted without first loosening the large hose clamps and rotating the lid up and back until the filter can be removed (or just remove the large intake hose before removing the lid) Also check that the oil filler cap is in place. FWIW.

Last edited:
Isn't ECU having to relearn every time he cranks it after sitting w/batt disconnected?
That always exhibits weird behavior till ECU gets its bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom