Builds 1995 hzj73 (1hz) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a sticker, but I may paint this on that snorkle.
1648407260242.png

I'm in a bind. I had the old loss of power, a puff of white smoke, and then it dies. I read up on several threads here, and I did the clear hose trick. I saw tons of air going into the IP and not much movement from the tank side of the filter assembly. I have replaced the fuel filter head assembly and the plastic sensor at the bottom of the filter. Symptoms still exist. Now the plan is to replace everything from the filter to the fuel tank. Does anyone have a better idea of where to start? Is there another low-hanging fruit I should see before the fuel tank gets dropped?

@Rigster has just gone through his entire fuel system in his 77, he might have some good tips about where to look and what to check.

Heres my bubble factory from the new filter assembly.
Dang that is a LOT of air coming from the tank. Wow. Are none of the lines wet with fuel? No drips?

A leak that big would show on a smoke test as well, if you have access to a smoke machine (or a cigar, but I wouldn't recommend that around fuel). :rofl:

Hi
I understood, you have those bubbles between filter and IP, and not much fuel moving into the filter from the tank?
If that much air gets pulled in at the filter, there will not be much suction left to pull fuel from the tank. Probably that's why you don't see much fuel moving in. I'd assume the filter is the culprit, rather not the tank line.
The fuel in the tank line also has a habit to run back into the tank, if it can pull air somewhere in the engine bay. Neither IP nor priming pump will then bring it up again. I used a big syringe-style pump to pull up fuel from the tank and trough the filter. It took about 3L to pull trough before it was free of bubbles.
Good luck Ralf

I suggest isolating from WHERE the air is coming from first. Move the clear hose.

If it is currently betwixt primer/filter and the injection pump, then move it to the primer pump and the hard line coming from the tank. If you don't see air then, you know it is the filter/housing. Reseat the filter or put on a new one. Still air, then change out the primer housing. They are still available and not too pricey.

If there is air coming from the tank to the primer/filter housing, then start taking out the hard lines out from the filter housing back to the tank that are bolted to the body and frame.

Test each hard line with a vacuum pump to see if there are any leaks. Check all rubber hose components and clamps. Change any that are suspect and test.

Last case scenario if all lines test ok, drop the fuel tank, take out the pickup, and test those lines. I had a small leak in the pickup tube at the bend where it goes down into the tank.

I have the details I my build thread. Cheers, and good luck. None of this is terribly difficult., just messy and time consuming. Good luck! Stop by if you get really stuck and we can work on it together

Last edited:
I suggest isolating from WHERE the air is coming from first. Move the clear hose.

If it is currently betwixt primer/filter and the injection pump, then move it to the primer pump and the hard line coming from the tank. If you don't see air then, you know it is the filter/housing. Reseat the filter or put on a new one. Still air, then change out the primer housing. They are still available and not too pricey.

If there is air coming fro the tank to the primer/filter housing, then start taking out the hard lines out from the filter housing back to the tank that are bolted to the body and frame.

Test each hard line with a vacuum pump to see if there are any leaks. Check all rubber hose components and clamps. Change any that are suspect and test.

Last case scenario if all lines text ok, drop the fuel tank, take out the pickup, and test those lines. I had a small leak in the pickup tube at the bend where it goes down into the tank.

I have the details I my build thread. Cheers, and good luck. None of this is terribly difficult., just messy and time consuming. Good luck! Stop by if you get really stuck and we can work on it together
I chased down leaks as well and my primer pump was one of the culprits. In the meantime I replaced all the rubber lines and clamps for peace of mind. The standard equivalent to metric hose is close enough in my experience, if you just want to buy bulk hose. But finding where it's coming from as Darren said, is the first step.

"Betwixt" 🤣🤣🤣

Many thanks for the advice.

This weekend, I will put some pressure on the fuel lines and see if I can spot an obvious hole. Right now, there is nothing obviously dripping diesel. The first thing I did was replace the fuel filter and housing. The leak is somewhere betwixt the fuel tank and the filter housing. I will move clear hose, blow into lines, and see what I can see. In the meantime, I have some stuff coming from part souq, and I am hopeful that will do the trick. Stand by for updates, and thanks again.

Alright, no apparent leaks with soap and air applied to the fuel lines. Ordered some parts and dropped the fuel tank. I replaced all the fuel lines with new rubber and good clamps. I did my best to test the hard lines but I didnt get all of them. Got a new pickup because upon inspection, this one was rusted to hell and high on my list of suspects. The new one looked like the correct part and it went right in. I also bought a new fuel pipe assembly and a new fuel sender gizmo. I must have ordered the wrong parts. both are incorrect. the fuel pipe has a different thread for the fuel cap and a flaired neck on the pipe. The new fuel sender does not have the extra sensor stick. Heres a pic of the rusted pickup, fuel pipes, and senders. Should I just re-install the old pipe and sender unit? Is there anything else I should look at while the tank is dropped? I feel like I'm getting close to getting back on the road. It seems like there are a few of us with this problem.

1681771692175.png

1681771738199.png

1681771775632.png

Alright, no apparent leaks with soap and air applied to the fuel lines. Ordered some parts and dropped the fuel tank. I replaced all the fuel lines with new rubber and good clamps. I did my best to test the hard lines but I didnt get all of them. Got a new pickup because upon inspection, this one was rusted to hell and high on my list of suspects. The new one looked like the correct part and it went right in. I also bought a new fuel pipe assembly and a new fuel sender gizmo. I must have ordered the wrong parts. both are incorrect. the fuel pipe has a different thread for the fuel cap and a flaired neck on the pipe. The new fuel sender does not have the extra sensor stick. Heres a pic of the rusted pickup, fuel pipes, and senders. Should I just re-install the old pipe and sender unit? Is there anything else I should look at while the tank is dropped? I feel like I'm getting close to getting back on the road. It seems like there are a few of us with this problem.

View attachment 3300992
View attachment 3300994

View attachment 3300997
Yeah, this is odd that a number of us all had this issue at the same time! Probably COVID related. 🤭 From the condition and mess on top of your tank, it does look like the pickup was starting to leak a bit.

The sender, that is up to you. If the old one was working fine, then I would reuse, because that extra float bobber is for the low fuel light. This is, of course, entirely up to you, but the nice thing is you can also change it later with the tank in place.

The filler pipe, that is also up to you, but you would just need to grab a new fuel cap if you go with that one (provided the flared end will still install the same). :cheers:

Filler neck and sender can be replaced any time.
Maybe you mixed up diesel- and gas versions of the filler neck. Filling nozzles have different diameter to avoid accidentally wrong fueling.
But the pickup unit needs to be installed with the tank dropped, so you need to get it right now. The metal parts are notorious for rust. Best to give them an additional coat right from the start.
Good Luck Ralf

I got the tank shined up, and new gaskets for old parts put in along with the new pickup. I got her wrastled back into position. Boom! I'm back on the road! Guess what... I got too excited and finished too early... again... Everything got back together and I forgot to hook up my sender clip. Now the wire and clip is burried under the tank and I'll need to tilt the tank down to hook it back up. Still feels good to be back on the road.

Thanks for all the help!

1682367391764.png

The sender unit is accessible from an inspection hole in the floor. Maybe you are lucky and can reach the connector from there.
Good Luck Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom