1994 Dual Battery Setup Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RiverCityDave

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rivercitycruiser.life
What are you kids with 1993-1994 1FZs doing with the AC hose on the passenger side? I’m pretty sure I can bend it, but I’m kinda hoping there is a more elegant solution? I’ve dealt with the resonator and PAIR hose situation with a Napa radiator hose, but this AC line is a hassle.

I’ve already searched but all I find are you speculators trying to sell your rigs overwhelming the search function with every possible keyword.

For the uninitiated, there is an AC hose that runs from the top of the compressor to the condenser on the core support. It just happens to be a touch too high for the first gen battery box to fit correctly.

pictures for visual stimulation…

D6820F7F-BAEE-443D-912B-0165C1E86FA4.jpeg

DFE3F770-C434-4862-8754-AA8626AB0675.jpeg

Last edited:
Man, I was going to be the relatively new guy that piped up about searching. I was also going to run out and look in my engine bay after asking "what ac line?"
It's dark and scary out right now, so all I can offer is a vague "maybe the trimmed battery tray just fits somehow?" and share this link:

If you look at the product image, I see the ac line shooting under the tray. Your post worries me as I have a bunch of Dual system supplies sitting here in a box.

Man, I was going to be the relatively new guy that piped up about searching. I was also going to run out and look in my engine bay after asking "what ac line?"
It's dark and scary out right now, so all I can offer is a vague "maybe the trimmed battery tray just fits somehow?" and share this link:

If you look at the product image, I see the ac line shooting under the tray. Your post worries me as I have a bunch of Dual system supplies sitting here in a box.
it looks like they’ve just got the line pushed forward against the radiator shroud. That’s a 95 up, but the line is the same, the air box on the 1994 has a PAIR hose and resonator that get in the way as well, though there are pretty easy solutions for that part. I can live with the line pushed forward, I don’t love it, but I guess I can imagine worse. I may fiddle with it more tomorrow and see if that’s viable. Gotta do the alternator on the wife’s car first. 🙄.

I’ll post pics if I get the fit right.

Nice. I got rid of the pair system pretty quickly, so that battle is behind me at least.

Nice. I got rid of the pair system pretty quickly, so that battle is behind me at least.
I fully planned to just yank mine, along with the EGR, but there has been some talk of moving to a couple states post retirement that may require those items, so I’m taking a tactical pause til this gets firmed up.

I have the Hudd Expo Kit, was the perfect solution for me.

For the AC house, I pulled out the insulation behind the grill so the hose can flex.

Then just pushed it down and bolted the trimmed battery tray on top of it.

EaZy PeaZy

I have dual batteries on my '94. The AC hose wasn't an issue. I didn't even think about it.

The more difficult part was trimming the radiator fan shroud to fit without interference, like the driver's side. I cut the shroud with an oscillating tool and used epoxy and fiberglass to form the new shape. Finished with epoxy primer and it's holding up a year or two later.

20210813_140350.jpg

20210813_140428.jpg

I used NAPA hose 22874 for the PAIR.
20210813_140316.jpg

Yeah...just pushed it down out of the way. It is a stiffy, but needed only an inch or so of deflection.
Imagine they all vary a smidge here or there.

Lots and lots of kits out there, and no problem with that hose that I’ve heard of. Like others have said, a little flexing and bolting down the tray and all is well.

I cut a bit more out of my box and added loom around the hose. No problems
AA318A46-B871-4778-804E-E21D4390F99F.jpeg
EEC4A527-189C-4B55-B41F-E2166F61E8FA.jpeg

Strange. Mine was not a issue putting in the 2nd batt box. I think it just all fits on my 94.

But I am 100% de smuggled, no pair, no egr no nothing. Also loved O2s to pair location in the manifolds.

The mount came from amazon Amazon product ASIN B08QVCZNTW $ 44.99. I had the bolts and and some round tube for support on the front side , re drilled the holes on the high side only one matched the cruiser inner fender. Had to support 2 sides of it with tuber and a bolt to support it and make it level, cables are number 2 welding wire also purchased on amazon. The problem i had with the toyota box was has to cut holes in it to clear the ac line and did not want to use Toyota tie down, the one i wanted to used interfered with the over flow bottle.

Oh! Can you give more details on that? Really like how that looks as I contemplate dual battery and the janky factory box on the drivers side I’d like to get rid of too….thanks
Janky OEM box? Could it just be in need of replacement?
OP's solution looks plenty nice and sufficient.
But categorizing Mr. T's battery box as 'janky' is just ... beyond the pail. lol

Last edited:
The OEM battery box on either side of the engine keeps the battery cooler also which definitely helps with your batteries lasting longer.

Janky OEM box? Could it just be in need of replacement?
OP's solution looks plenty nice and sufficient.
But categorizing Mr. T's battery box as 'janky' is just ... beyond the pale. lol
Mmmhmm. I said it. 🤦🏻‍♂️ And it does need replacement. But still one side is basically secured by plastic. Hadn’t considered the design as it pertains to temperature as @Shoredreamer brought up….

Right but the 4 or 5 bolts on the bottom are what actually secure the thing.
Lol or...are you are a right hoodlum off road and that's why you need something more robust?

The OEM battery box on either side of the engine keeps the battery cooler also which definitely helps with your batteries lasting longer.
I like the oem box. But I will say that the "j hooks" have ripped the plastic some. Probably from PO over tightening them. I might eventually find a way to reinforce the hole.

Someone else posted the battery staying cool and lasting longer. My primary battery is about dead. My wife left the lights on one day and it died in about 20 min. Flipped the combine switch and it fired right up. So it is in the plan to replace them soon. But my records indicate I bought it in 2015. So I would say it has lasted a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom