1993 TLC LOW IDLE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
sites.google.com
I have been having an ongoing problem with a low idle. As low as 150rpm (tach reading). Toyota technicians tell me there is nothing that can be done about it.
Also, when starting the engine, cold, it revs so high the engine makes a brief clattering noise. Again, the mechanics have no comment on this.

Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? My cruiser is a well cared for 93, 4.6L, with 120,000 miles.

I want comments from anyone who has experienced either problem, high rev clatter or low idle.

High startup RPM is very common, especially in colder weather. Low idle is not common. I would suspect a vacuum leak. Get a factory service manual and start going through the diagnostics.

My rough, slightly low (550 rpm) idle was recently fixed by cleaning the throttle body on the engine, I used some spray cleaner and followed the directions. I'm sure it would be even better if I removed the throttle body and did a really thorough cleaning.

Ben,

Would you remove the throttle body yourself for cleaning or would you take the truck to the dealer?

Thanks,
Alex
85 BJ70
93 FZJ80

I would do it myself, from what I understand there is one gasket that could be replaced, but other than that you just clean up the throttle body with some cleaner and some rags/paper towels. I still may do it next time I spend some quality time with the LC. :D

Do as Ben suggests. Do a search here and spend 20 minutes cleaning the throttle valve with spray cleaner, a toothbrush and a rag. Get the correct stuff (NOT carb cleaner). Cured my low idle and also a dramatic improvement in part throttle response.

DougM

Thanks for all the comments.
They are really appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom