1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1993 TLC LOW IDLE

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by rdye, Mar 26, 2004.

1. rdye

rdye

I have been having an ongoing problem with a low idle. As low as 150rpm (tach reading). Toyota technicians tell me there is nothing that can be done about it.
    Also, when starting the engine, cold, it revs so high the engine makes a brief clattering noise. Again, the mechanics have no comment on this.

Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? My cruiser is a well cared for 93, 4.6L, with 120,000 miles.

I want comments from anyone who has experienced either problem, high rev clatter or low idle.

2. cruiserman

cruiserman

High startup RPM is very common, especially in colder weather. Low idle is not common. I would suspect a vacuum leak. Get a factory service manual and start going through the diagnostics.

3. firetruck41

firetruck41

My rough, slightly low (550 rpm) idle was recently fixed by cleaning the throttle body on the engine, I used some spray cleaner and followed the directions. I'm sure it would be even better if I removed the throttle body and did a really thorough cleaning.

4. bj70alex

bj70alex

Ben,

Would you remove the throttle body yourself for cleaning or would you take the truck to the dealer?

Thanks,
    Alex
    85 BJ70
    93 FZJ80

5. firetruck41

firetruck41

I would do it myself, from what I understand there is one gasket that could be replaced, but other than that you just clean up the throttle body with some cleaner and some rags/paper towels. I still may do it next time I spend some quality time with the LC. :D

6. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Do as Ben suggests. Do a search here and spend 20 minutes cleaning the throttle valve with spray cleaner, a toothbrush and a rag. Get the correct stuff (NOT carb cleaner). Cured my low idle and also a dramatic improvement in part throttle response.

DougM

7. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I've had my throttle body off several times lately and have reused the gasket with no ill effects.

8. rdye

rdye

Thanks for all the comments.
    They are really appreciated.