Builds 1993 refreshed (now gone) and 1995 build up with new OEM engine (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really have not done much with the 93 other than drive it the last three months. It is running absolutely killer though.

The speedo input on the t-case was leaking a lot and had been for a number of years, big mess all around it. So I cleaned it up and re-sealed it. Zero leaks now.

Ian 80 2.jpg

My alt was only doing 11-12v at idle so I upgraded.

Ian 80.jpg

Ian 80 1.jpg

My entire p/s system is rebuilt with OEM parts, all leaks gone except for one. The input on the box is pissing. Had this 105 box come in recently for a clients build, it got me thinking.

105 box.jpg

The 93 is getting mostly sorted now, January marks a year since I got it. I have done some little things not mentioned like new wiper arms and blades all around, re-freshed my heater controls and so forth. I have two oil leaks left to fix on the engine, the steering box leak, Cruiser could use new exhaust, my sun roof leaks, my RHS mirror shakes and I want to delete the rear heater. That is really about it to finish the truck off and get it up to par.

Both the 93 and the 95 are owned by my business but the 93 is my dedicated shop truck. I am definitely cutting it into a pickup, haven't decided yet it it will be reg cab or four door but I do want nearly a full sized bed with drop down sides, aluminum. For some time now I have wanted a Cruiser pickup that has a modular bed and that is what I am after with the 93. I think I have decided to stretch the frame when I do it. I have also decided the 93 will be my off-roader. Less body = good off-road. Longer wheelbase has a number of benefits off-road as well. Don't really need to get into it to much but many ideas been floating around in my head for some time now and they are taking form and I see the direction I want to go and can picture the finished truck. I do plan to run a 1FZ in the 93 for the foreseeable future. :)

Main issues with doing the cut is the 93 is currently my DD. That and I don't have a lot of time for my own projects. So I will need to do the v8 swap in the 95 and get it on the road before I chop the 93. I will make the 95 my DD and light off-roader and overland truck, long trips ect. Other than the v8 swap the build on it will be pretty mild. The 93 is the one I will go all out on more. ;)

Speaking of the 95, I have acquired some goodies for it like new drivers seat cushion and a few other bits for the future refresh of it.

Cheers

So a bit more on the bed I would like to do on the 93.

I am after a flat bed like this, sure would be nice if it is full sized not some small little bed. For shop use, drop down sides is the only way to go, ie forklift loading/unloading. I may even fit a 1,000+lbs crane behind the cab. Moving around axles, transmissions and engines by yourself is difficult, tools make it easier. ;)

flat bed.jpg

Tray-Bed-22.jpg

These are nice but to expensive for me and I don't want anything hanging below the bed like tool boxes.

For the modular system, I want all my overland gear in it and I will sleep in it. I want this to be a set up so I slide it into the flat bed and bolt it down. For shop use obviously that would not be used and I would just slide it in for a trip or trade show or whatever.

4x4_Australia-205.jpg

Reason to extend wheelbase is for proportions to be aesthetically pleasing but also because I don't want a crappy departure angle and a lot of overhand behind the rear axle. I would rather drag the belly than hang up on the rear overhang. I am also thinking about some longer control arms in the rear. Probably also go to 37's on the truck eventually and stretch wise, I am thinking a 125-130" wheel base.

I have built four trucks now for my own trips and overland use. I have lived out of those trucks for up to five months at a time, 15,000 mile trips. I have come to the conclusion this will work best for me.

Cheers

Looking forward to your chop! I regret not doing a frame stretch on mine. I am going to, and hope to recreate the process you and Tony used on his troopie project. I have that thread bookmarked for reference when the time comes.

Even with my silly stock wheelbase, I absolutely love my hackjob 80-series ute. You give/take a bit with how much travel 80 series have in the rear with a flatbed, but you have the means to dial it in. My flatbed ended up being pretty tall, and my 315's rub. I'm going down to 255's soon.

One plus side is there's tons of room under a flatbed on an 80. I've got a 315 stuffed under there with a junkyard spare tire hoist, and plenty of room for compressor, air tank, etc. If you don't stuff a tire up there, a nice massive drawer could fit. Or long tool storage, etc.

Looking forward to your chop! I regret not doing a frame stretch on mine. I am going to, and hope to recreate the process you and Tony used on his troopie project. I have that thread bookmarked for reference when the time comes.

Even with my silly stock wheelbase, I absolutely love my hackjob 80-series ute. You give/take a bit with how much travel 80 series have in the rear with a flatbed, but you have the means to dial it in. My flatbed ended up being pretty tall, and my 315's rub. I'm going down to 255's soon.

One plus side is there's tons of room under a flatbed on an 80. I've got a 315 stuffed under there with a junkyard spare tire hoist, and plenty of room for compressor, air tank, etc. If you don't stuff a tire up there, a nice massive drawer could fit. Or long tool storage, etc.

Got any pics of yours?

Double cab chop the easiest but will look funky if I extend the wheelbase. I gots no kids too so don’t really need a double cab, a bigger bed is better for me. I been looking at it and thinking, extra cab what I would really like.

Who knows, I may buy a donor for the chop. Good rust free 91 with bad engine was for sale locally for months at $1000. It certainly makes it easier to just work a cab while the Cruiser stays on the road and makes for the least down time.

Cheers

don’t really need a double cab, a bigger bed is better for me. I been looking at it and thinking, extra cab what I would really like.

There's a handful that have been done if you google for pics.
Cranky Cruiser is one that comes to mind. An Aussie dude who built up an 80, then chopped it into an extra cab with a half door and full front door on the passenger side. Front door closed against a suicide half door, when both open there's no B pillar like an rx7

images.jpeg

There's a handful that have been done if you google for pics.
Cranky Cruiser is one that comes to mind. An Aussie dude who built up an 80, then chopped it into an extra cab with a half door and full front door on the passenger side. Front door closed against a suicide half door, when both open there's no B pillar like an rx7

View attachment 2196297

That one is super sweet but more than I think I want to get into.

I have some solid and slightly wild ideas brewing in my head I want to pursue on the shop truck. Not just a chop but suspension, axles and more.

First order of business though is I either need a cheapo DD or fix the 95. The 93 is currently my DD and I can’t take it off the road for a build unless I got something else to drive. I would rather put the 95 on the road than spend $500+ on a beater commuter. I would take a replacement engine for the 95 but already on the hunt for a customer who needs a new 1FZ so maybe I will just rebuild what’s in the 95 if it’s rebuildable. As mentioned would really like to drop a v8 in the 95 but would rather put the $10+k in parts right now at the 93 and it’s build.

Cheers

I have been pondering and doing a bit of research a lot lately. Also weighing my options and cost. I think I am finally starting to narrow it down. Feeling the need to do something because the 95 is taking up a lot of room in my shop. On top of that I am waiting to pull the trigger on some expensive items, I would like those to be for the keeper of the two.

I have found some 6.2L’s and 6L80e combos locally as well as some other good combos. All are over 100k miles and in the $3-4K range. No matter how I slice it, v8 swap parts are going to total up nearly $10k and it will still be a 100k mile power train. I can go freshly rebuilt but that will be in the $8-10k range just for engine and trans. And then I somehow got to find 100+hrs to do the swap.

So looking at a new short block for the 95, $4k. Head, $800-2k depending on rebuilt or new. I have always kind of disliked the 1FZ, simply because it is not a very service friendly engine bay and the mpg sucks. Besides that though, it’s a super solid engine, we all know this. The 93 I am driving has put some love back in me for the 1FZ, I still dislike working on it but all fixed up and tuned just how I like it and it’s pretty good. I am content shall I say, enjoy driving it and am not feeling a lack of power. I may go rebuild in the 95 but cost analysis is not proving to me to be a lot more for the new short block.

Any ways, I am deciding on a route to go soon. I tend to think long and hard when I make big expensive purchases. I have considered a used engine for the 95 just to put it back on the road but that is just not my style. I tend to spend some money and not cut corners when I do something like this, especially on a Cruiser.

I have also just about decided I am not going to keep two 80’s. To many other flavors to enjoy to have x2 80’s, even if one is a pickup. So one of these two I will sell and that is probably not going to be the 95! :rofl:

I am waiting on engine hardware this week for an 1HDFT swap/build we are doing in the shop. So I think I will start tearing down the 95 here and there. ;)

Cheers

So, I take it you found a new OEM short block?

Here’s the thing, I called Peterson and my guy there to check availability and price on a short block. He said back ordered until end of March. He said I could cancel a week before that so mid-March. Next thing I know a short block is delivered, that was yesterday.

I just got the head off...

DBC499F0-1092-4A01-A26E-9E8201FADA5D.jpeg
3024E2B6-B94B-4B09-8052-991B742A4E42.jpeg

#3 & 4 appear to have busted conrods, lots of slip in those pistons when I turn it over by hand. Going to separate from trans next and drop the oil pans.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom