1993 LC Purchase help/Question - engine ticking upon start - with video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, any help appreciated. Not sure if I should move forward on buying this 1993 I'm looking at. I drove it
yesterday. Drives good. Has had timing chain done, water pump, oil pump gasket and valve cover gasket replaced.
Engine has a audible loud rapid ticking noise. Was told it might be lifter? Drives fine and no problem accelerating. I have
a short video clip I will try and upload shortly. Guy said they scoped down the plug holes, number 5 was showing some wear
but nothing major and the rest were good. Any ideas? Rig is 7k even, no rust on frame, interior is 8/10.

These engines don't have lifters. They're DOHC, shim-under-bucket.

Why was the timing chain done? That's weird, unless it's preventative maintenance while doing something else significant like a head gasket. Timing chains aren't like timing belts, which have to be replaced every ~100k miles. Plenty of dishonest sellers have claimed that it was changed because they've seen timing *belts* mentioned so much in other Toyota used car listings.

I wouldn't pay $7k for a rattling engine. Pandemic pricing is getting ridiculous. Incidentally, the used car market is going nuts right now, not just the Land Cruiser market. I wouldn't buy any vehicle at the moment unless it's absolutely necessary.

If you like it. Offer 2 or 3k. Since you will be replacing or rebuilding the engine. How many miles does it have? I am at 280k and none of mine show any wear...still have the crosshashing on all 6.

Hey guys, any help appreciated. Not sure if I should move forward on buying this 1993 I'm looking at. I drove it
yesterday. Drives good. Has had timing chain done, water pump, oil pump gasket and valve cover gasket replaced.
Engine has a audible loud rapid ticking noise. Was told it might be lifter? Drives fine and no problem accelerating. I have
a short video clip I will try and upload shortly. Guy said they scoped down the plug holes, number 5 was showing some wear
but nothing major and the rest were good. Any ideas? Rig is 7k even, no rust on frame, interior is 8/10.
Where in KS?

Sounds fishy to me. Buying from a shady dealership that says it is "great"?

Probably the PS pump. Ask them if they replaced the PS belts on it. Then let us know what their answer was.

Where in KS?

Sounds fishy to me. Buying from a shady dealership that says it is "great"?

Probably the PS pump. Ask them if they replaced the PS belts on it. Then let us know what their answer was.
PS pump was my first thought on ticking (nicked gear or whatnot), but who knows.

Walk away from this one. Buy the cleanest, sweet 8” you can possibly afford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom