1993 FZJ80 won't start after engine rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day! long time listener, first time caller...

I bought the truck for $1k from a friend whose son blew the engine, rest of the truck is truly immaculate. Never seen it run. Had the top and bottom machined and did a full rebuild, all new internals, new front accessories, new ignition system (from control module to plugs). the only engine parts recycled are the throttle body, injectors, sensors and harness.

It will not start, not fire at all. I don't get spark past the coil and no fuel passed the rail, but there is pressure at the rail (cracked the banjo while cranking, big mess, huuge). rechecked grounds, they're all there and in good shape.

Harness looks to be in good shape, no chafing I can see or other damage. It has to be a fried ECU right?! please help...............

Look at @jonheld's troubleshooting guide in the Resources section. I'd bet real money the answer is in there.

It has to be a fried ECU right?!
Please don't jump to conclusions without testing. The guide is based off a 3FE engine, but some fundamentals still apply. You can also find the Toyota FSM and EWD for your truck in the resources section.

What exactly happens when you turn the key?

What exactly happens when you turn the key?
It turns over, I get oil pressure, but no spark past the coil and no fuel past the injectors. there's pressure at the rail and 12v at the coil when I'm not cranking it. thanks!

the only engine parts recycled are the throttle body, injectors, sensors and harness.

Follow the FSM and verify all these pass testing procedures.

Is the distributor, plug leads etc new?

Check the harness connection at the distributor is good. If the distributor and ECU aren't communicating, you'll get no spark.

It's fair to assume that everything you've reused was serviceable until the engine broke down.
High chance is a simple mistake, or a connector or cable was just hanging in until it was so pulled apart.
You may have a bad connection, or bad wire that's stopping it running.

Assuming everything is in the correct place, aligned and adjusted correctly, I think there's only a couple of things that will stop it from starting.
If the VAF doesn't move, the fuel pump won't get voltage. ( but you say you have fuel pressure?)
If the cabling between distributor and ECU is bad, you won't get a spark.

Beyond that, it should start, but maybe run rough

likely I screwed something up reconnecting the harness. I met a neighbor (friend of friend) whose a diesel mechanic for the fishing boats here (kodiak AK) and says he "loves auto electrical"... called him when we were sober and he's gonna work me into his schedule. if he can't find the issue... I'll update soon. thanks!

likely I screwed something up reconnecting the harness. I met a neighbor (friend of friend) whose a diesel mechanic for the fishing boats here (kodiak AK) and says he "loves auto electrical"... called him when we were sober and he's gonna work me into his schedule. if he can't find the issue... I'll update soon. thanks!
hey pal how you doing any updates on this? do you get cel when turn the key to on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom