1993 Land Cruiser, first purchase! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brakes are okay. Air in the system but just need to bleed.

Thanks!! I’m close but still not there.

This is too true. I’m in stage 1 and the budget has already gone upward. Only by a few hundred, but that’s how it starts.

Daily Drive #1
I drove it to work today and it seems like it’s doing okay
But
It developed a loud screech/squeal. I’m not mechanically inclined to diagnose where it’s coming from. It’s running fine. Power steering works. Fan is spinning. AC is off, so it’s not the compressor. But idk.

At idle it would screech, and then as I take off from a stop it’d go away. Then it progressively got worse.

So now I’m not really too sure how to handle this other than taking it somewhere 🤦🏻‍♂️
This screams belts (pun given). And use OEM. Wit's End has you covered. And be sure all are properly tightened. You can also remove the belts and see if the scream persists.

Maybe when you replaced the alternator you didn’t tighten the belt enough?
I believe I did. It felt okay when I put it all back together. I’ll check this on my lunch and see.
This screams belts (pun given). And use OEM. Wit's End has you covered. And be sure all are properly tightened. You can also remove the belts and see if the scream persists.
I’ve got a set of spare belts on hand (from Wits’ End).
It doesn’t sound like a belt to me, but I’m not too sure. :/ my last car had a squeaky belt for a year (huge pain to remove a bolt that you needed to remove, so I just dealt with it. It’d stop after a few seconds - kept some belt quieter on hand)

I believe I did. It felt okay when I put it all back together. I’ll check this on my lunch and see.

I’ve got a set of spare belts on hand (from Wits’ End).
It doesn’t sound like a belt to me, but I’m not too sure. :/ my last car had a squeaky belt for a year (huge pain to remove a bolt that you needed to remove, so I just dealt with it. It’d stop after a few seconds - kept some belt quieter on hand)
Guess what Im also saying, you can remove the belts all or one at time to eliminate that out.

Guess what Im also saying, you can remove the belts all or one at time to eliminate that out.
Absolutely, I followed you. I’ll check that out tonight. Not sure that’ll be a job I’ll tackle at lunch. I’m nervous that, if it’s not the belt, and then I take the belt off and it stops, then I’ll assume it’s the belt.
I’ll have to figure out what bearing or pump or whatever else is failing.

The new belts will stretch after running a few miles after install, so they might have seemed tight when you put them on the first time, then they loosen up. Re tighten them if this is the case. Make sure that you have the toyota belts as they are a matched set. If they came in one package together then they were probably matched together, if they came seperate, then they might not be exactly a matching pair and one might be longer than the other.

Another scenario is that it could be the A/c compressor coming on and off. Make sure the A/C button is off and see if it still makes noise.

The new belts will stretch after running a few miles after install, so they might have seemed tight when you put them on the first time, then they loosen up. Re tighten them if this is the case. Make sure that you have the toyota belts as they are a matched set. If they came in one package together then they were probably matched together, if they came seperate, then they might not be exactly a matching pair and one might be longer than the other.

Another scenario is that it could be the A/c compressor coming on and off. Make sure the A/C button is off and see if it still makes noise.
AC is off for sure. Compressor is going out and squeals on its own, I’ve kept it off.
I’m thinking it’s the alternator belt. I’ll check it when I get home. Feels a little bit loose, just enough to slip.

But dang, this truck is awesome. Just drove it to grab some lunch and I’m enjoying it note after every mile I drive it. Even with all its issues.

so let me get this strait, there was no spark plug at all in there? just the part for the compression tool. ponderous man. ponderous.......

so let me get this strait, there was no spark plug at all in there? just the part for the compression tool. ponderous man. ponderous.......
It went:
Head.
Adapter for compression kit.
Spark plug.
Wire.

However, the adapter was breaking the spark plug and not allowing you to torque the plug down at all

if you get a chance put it together on the table and snap a photo of it this sounds amazing. lol

if you get a chance put it together on the table and snap a photo of it this sounds amazing. lol
94767266-C195-4CD9-9B40-E0026AFC8A3F.jpeg

this is what came out.
The adapter (o ring and all) for the compression test kit. I guess when he unscrewed the hose he just didn’t notice the adapter stayed in the head?
and then when he screwed in the spark plug he didn’t feel it crunch?
and then when he plugged in the ignition coil he didn’t realize why it was sitting so high?

he might have been in a hurry - and this is not his daily. So who knows.

View attachment 2305869
this is what came out.
The adapter (o ring and all) for the compression test kit. I guess when he unscrewed the hose he just didn’t notice the adapter stayed in the head?
and then when he plugged in the ignition coil he didn’t realize why it was sitting so high?

[/QU

This is how owning an 80 works:

Blinded by the Great Deal
First 6 months to 1 year: You buy for what you think is a good deal. You create a budget--then, your budget goest upward--you're going to try to rationalize it's worth more than you spent. Everyone cheers you and helps you, you are being brainwashed by people that don't even know they're brainwashed. You'll spend hours on end on YouTube looking for 80 series videos.

Black Hole You Never Saw
From year 1 to year 2: you will come to the conclusion that you've put so much time and money into it that you'll never sell it (because you love it, and so do we), once you say that you'll rationalize another $3k into it. At this time you'll also develop a nasty arrogant distaste for jeeps, range rovers, and anything electric. You laugh at them like they're all fools (and they are). You've been sucked into the vortex of the black hole, and yet, you don't want to be rescued because you're in your LC! You might even buy a cowboy hat!

You Are Zen with the Black Hole
From year 2 to year 4: you'll have $6,000 into it on top of the $3,500 it cost. Yes, you'll start buying stuff from @NLXTACY and looking at Roof racks and rear bumpers, recovery kits, etc. At this point you have fallen in love with the black hole that has sucked all the monies out of your pocket. Nirvana ensues.

Groundhog Day
After Year 5, you're thinking it's an heirloom, and then, a newbie comes on and says, "I just pulled the trigger and bought an 80...!" Then, you repeat this blissfully.

I'm just telling you this because all of us on this thread have gone through the same process of becoming addicted. I'm going outside right now just to look at my 80...for the 5th time today.

Zona
HAHAHA! This is pretty damn accurate. I'm at all the stages up to Zen, combined, and I've only owned mine for 4.5 months. I'm fortunate to have the ability to fix so many things but damn I've had to, but also chosen to put a lot of money into this bad boy. But when you take it on your first (hundredth) offroad/camping/overland trip it truly makes it worth the money and hard work put into it.

FJ, you've got a great community here and it's cool seeing your progression (brings back "fond" memories). But it's part of the adventure. And the triumphs of completing a job or finding the issue and fixing it is so gratifying. Hang in there. All of this will be worth it once you're able to drive it on the trails.

View attachment 2305869
this is what came out.

It's probably just me but I'd ask him about anything else he may have touched while owning the thing because anyone capable of doing any/all of that without noticing whether in a hurry or not I'd worry they were capable of turning the ignition key the correct way to start the truck let alone work on it!

Fun thread, just read through it. This stuff dont kill you it just makes you stronger. It's fun, no? Looks good for a Jersey truck. When you get brave enough to hit the hwy to have some fun, Im just east of you south of Tallahassee off 98. We have some fun stuff around here considering it's FLA. Watching your thread. Keep it up!

www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200642636_200642636
You can find voltmeters at any auto supply store for cheap. A neccessity when testing electical connections for current and resistance.
Check the positive terminal on the battery and the terminal at the alternator that has the wire going to the battery. should read around 13 volts or more. If less than 12 volts then it's not charging properly. Low voltage can also be caused by weak Brushes, a $20 part from the toyota dealer. When there is a low voltage problem then several gremlins will present themselves, including dash lights, speedometer, tachometer, brake lights, etc.

Pic is of the alternator brushes old and new. this is what rubs against the copper center and creates DC current that charges battery.
View attachment 2284283
In this pic of the alternator, the part in the center are the old brushes, two small screws to remove and replace with new brushes. This only takes 5 minutes. Taking out the alternator takes a lot more time, depending on your skill level. Lots of threads on this site on how to do this. I think it would be possible to replace the brushes without taking the alternator out of the vehicle, but very limited room to maneuver. It is very easy to replace with alternator removed.
View attachment 2284284

do you know the part number for the brushes?

do you know the part number for the brushes?
Genuine Toyota Part #'s fits 1994 FZJ80
27370-75060 Holder assemble, alternator (brushes)
90982-08264 fusible link
90916-02353-83 matched fan belt set (2 BELTS)
99332-10910-83 A/C belt

Last edited:
What is wrong with not having the ABS pump/module in there? I and a few others have deleted the ABS from our rigs without any issues. It just takes a caring touch to not brake hard enough to lock up the brakes. I daily drive mine in rain and take it up to the Arizona high country to play in the snow with no issues.
my 91 does not have abs

my 91 does not have abs

I would first replace the booster/master/check valve/bleed the brakes. See where that gets you then. Also, check for unusual wear of the pads, sometimes that can tell you have issues with your calipers.

Look into replacing the brake lines with stainless steel lines. The factory rubber lines are okay but under hard braking, they tend to bulge but the stainless steel lines do not and the fluid can do its job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom