1993 Land Cruiser, first purchase! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FZJ80
Just picked up this 1993 Land Cruiser. I’m brand new to the Land Cruiser world but have been drooling over them for years. I picked this up locally for $3500 and am going to attempt to make it my daily ASAP, as this is my only vehicle at the moment.

It certainly needs some work, but I’d love some input on how to go about it. I‘ve not done any searches yet, just picked it up this morning. This is more of an introduction I suppose.

Issues I know of as of now:

Engine dies at an idle. RPM’s slowly dip down and it dies. Under load, engine sounds good and feels good.

Leaky sunroof. Guy who sold it said he heard handful of different things as to how to fix it.

Rear hatch doesn’t open. The handle is broken but the lever is still there, but when you pull the lever it doesn’t feel like it releases anything.

It has some mild rust, but doesn’t look too bad. Nothing eating into the structure. All I saw was some surface rust.
one or two panels have some rust, but at first glance it didn’t appear too bad. I’ll know more when I get under it.

Seller stated he replaced the plugs, wires, and a handful of other small maintenance items, but is in the military and it’s sat for the last 7-8 months while he’s been on deployment. Got back and didn’t really want to mess with it.

Welcome, this forum has a boat load of info. First I'd tackle is the fusible links, efi relay, sun roof cleaning. There's a saying that I learned from here, make it run, make it stop, make it safe, make it pretty. I took that saying to heart.

I’m not really sure the specifics on the things you said to tackle first, but I’ll start digging when I have some time!
I think I got a decent deal, he was asking $3500 and I gave him $3500. He was expecting some negotiations tho, so makes me wonder.
but it is what it is, I am excited!
But I like that saying! Making it run and making it stop are my biggest concerns right now! It does both, but could do both better.

Welcome!

One of the things you will NEED is a copy of the FSM (Factory Service Manual) for your year group (In your case, 1993 and 1994) They used to be here for free, but that has gone by the wayside in the last couple months.

Engine dying at idle can be a couple things. The easiest to check are vacuum leaks. First, check out the intake hose between the air filter and the throttle body. Then check out the vacuum hoses in various areas around the engine bay.

Everything you will want or need to do to your truck has been done by SOMEONE here on the forum. It takes the ability to search (Upper right corner). You are in the 80's section and that is where you need to search.

There are threads on where to buy parts (new and used) as well as trouble shooting your issues.

FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT REMOVE THE TWO SCREWS FROM THE AFM (MAF/VAF/VFM) AND PULL ON THE HARNESS!!!!
That trick will cost you $500 and endless amounts of suffering.

What is your level of mechanical ability and time commitment? That will help us answer you in an appropriate manner. Just because you got a reasonable deal does NOT mean these are cheap to work on. My truck tends to spit out aftermarket parts, so I use mostly Toyota parts. I've never had another vehicle that responded that way.

Good Luck!

check all fuses,

Yall are awesome! Thanks for the links. I got it home and cleaned it out a bit. I've got some pictures on my phone I'll post up here shortly.

I am nervous.

Idle issue is worrisome as I don't have experience with that. Have not had more than 90 minutes with the car yet. Just cleaned it out and threw my toolbag in and took it for a spin.
Tachometer, Speedometer, and Fuel Gauge stopped working on a test drive this evening.
AC Belt started howling this evening, but thats a belt - not too big of a deal.
Rear latch, I got opened but didn't mess with it too much. Main thing was to clean out some debris.
Very very little of the stock electronics work, driver window rolls up and down. All other windows roll down about 2 cm and thats it. Didn't go back up either...
Entire floor is truckbed lined, no carpet. Still havn't gotten under to see any real rust issues.

My plan to tackle problems in order:
Idle - dying at idle.
Sunroof leak.
Instrument cluster.
Rear hatch handle fix.
Seats

@BILT4ME
My mechanical skills rate close to a 5 or 6 on a scale of 1-10.
Time, as much as I can spare, few hours an evening and most weekends (not this weekend however).

This is obviously a budget car. I bought for $3500 with the mindset of throwing $1000 at it to get it set up to daily drive. As it sits, I'm kind of scared it's going to take closer to $2500+ to get set up.

Pro's:
Roof Rack basket
ARB Front bumper
Free winch (from buddy!!! brand new!)
Old Man Emu lift - 3 inches or more, I'm not sure.
35" BFG AT's
ARB Snorkel

So it's got potential to be pretty cool, but I've got to sort out these gremlins and hope they dont eat me alive in the process.

Few photos of how it sits right now.

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

Post a pic of the engine bay,
Check your intake tube, if there are any cracks at all replace it. Air leaking in the intake tube will cause it to idle low.
Same with the vacuum lines.
Check your battery cables, its a good time to replace them. Get them at the auto store or get these.

Check your fuses, in both fuse boxes.

Down the road your also going to want to do this, 1993-1994 FJ80 EGR Temp Sensor Test Plug Kit

This is all crap I had to deal with on mine right off the batt

Last edited:
I’ll get some more photos this evening.
I found like 4 or 5 electrical plugs on the driver side of the engine bay that are just hanging. It looks to be close to where the abs module would be, should be (I think, honestly have no clue but that’s my guess).
also, there is some sort of security thing plugged in under my seat that is not mounted to anything. Seems odd.
Both of these issues look to be factory wiring tho.

I also want to apologize from now for likely asking some pretty stupid or otherwise obvious questions. I’ve turned some wrenches in the past, but this is a new (old) world for me.
turning the wrenches and doing the job isn’t the hard part. Knowing what I’m doing, that’s where I’m lacking.

I also want to apologize from now for likely asking some pretty stupid or otherwise obvious questions. I’ve turned some wrenches in the past, but this is a new (old) world for me.
turning the wrenches and doing the job isn’t the hard part. Knowing what I’m doing, that’s where I’m lacking.
These are, by far, not the stupidest questions we've seen.

Beware, we may still bag on you about searching though..... ;) :flipoff2:

It has some mild rust, but doesn’t look too bad. Nothing eating into the structure. All I saw was some surface rust.
one or two panels have some rust, but at first glance it didn’t appear too bad. I’ll know more when I get under it.
Seeing as you live in FL., if that truck was driven on the beach alot I'd be closely checking the undercarriage for places for sand to collect. Salt water mixed in with sand that's trapped against the body can cause some real BIG rust issues.

Seeing as you live in FL., if that truck was driven on the beach alot I'd be closely checking the undercarriage for places for sand to collect. Salt water mixed in with sand that's trapped against the body can cause some real BIG rust issues.
The truck came from New Jersey. Only been in Florida for a year or two.

These are, by far, not the stupidest questions we've seen.

Beware, we may still bag on you about searching though..... ;) :flipoff2:
I’ve already been all over the search!! I’ve found a bunch of stuff today.
Looked up several threads on seats. I’ve found several threads about replaced seats but not too much on how. Lots of finished products.
Also haven’t seen anything on rear seats yet. Im going to try and salvage the rear (middle I suppose).

I got gifted some bucket seats - that will solve my issue up front. Just need to figure out the mounting of them!

Already ordered some of the products linked in this thread already.
I’ve slowly getting more nervous about wrenching on this thing due to rust. Just nervous about bolts breaking...buying a few cans of PB tonight to have on hand.

I’ve already been all over the search!! I’ve found a bunch of stuff today.
Looked up several threads on seats. I’ve found several threads about replaced seats but not too much on how. Lots of finished products.
Also haven’t seen anything on rear seats yet. Im going to try and salvage the rear (middle I suppose).

I got gifted some bucket seats - that will solve my issue up front. Just need to figure out the mounting of them!

Already ordered some of the products linked in this thread already.
I’ve slowly getting more nervous about wrenching on this thing due to rust. Just nervous about bolts breaking...buying a few cans of PB tonight to have on hand.
There is a common seat "adapter" manufacturer referenced in the seat thread in the "stickies". I think it's Pantone or something like that. (I don't know, I didn't search! ;) ) A number of folks buy the adapter from them, then modify if necessary. It makes a good starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom