1993 FZJ80 transfercase question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zia

Threads
Hey guys,

I wanted to check in and see if this is normal or not as I am a new 80 owner...when I start up first thing in any time of day(temps vary from 50 to 80 so I believe outside temps have nothing to do with it) I am almost unable to move from high to low4 when transmission is in neutral, I can power it but it feels like I am going to break something. But after driving for maybe 20 minutes, it slides into L4 and back to h4 smoothly. Is this normal? if not, is that a symptom of low transfer case fluid?

many thanks!

More than likely it is the pivot pin binding on the transfer case shift lever.
The shift linkage can be quickly disconnected by pulling a cotter pin. If the lever is still stiff after being disconnected from the transfer case, you have your answer.

However, if you're unsure about fluid level, then you should probably check it. It would have taken less time to do that first than to type your question.

If I recall correctly, the proper method of checking the fluid level in the transfer case is to stick your pinky finger in the fill hole and see if you can touch oil...

is that right?

Reactions: zia
ok many thanks guys, I will do that and come back with an answer when I figure out for future reference.

This happens to me, I know the feeling. Its almost as if you're gonna break the damn lever off, i can get it into low but its 100% night and day difference from cold to warm. Mine gets litterally buttery smooth after warming up. I checked the linkages for binding etc, none found its really odd, fluid is brand new and I'm 90% sure this thing never even saw low range till I owned it.

If I recall correctly, the proper method of checking the fluid level in the transfer case is to stick your pinky finger in the fill hole and see if you can touch oil...

is that right?

close, add oil till it will come out of the fill plug as a trickle then reinstall the fill plug. similar to filling up a manual trans nothing special

More than likely it is the pivot pin binding on the transfer case shift lever.
This might be what my super annoying rattle sound is coming from underneath the console!

Sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattle but I've exhausted that whole series of parts.

Loose cotter pin/ rattling linkage makes crazy good sense!

I just ordered a extended transfer case shifter from Land Cruiser Products for this same reason on my 93. I recently had the case out and installed underdrive gears and inspected everything and all was good.

Mine shifts with some effort but nothing crazy . Not buttery smooth but also not to the point you have to he man it. My 12 year old daughter does it easily for reference . Sounds like some type of binding in the linkage and not the Transfer case but that's just my opinion .

I just ordered a extended transfer case shifter from Land Cruiser Products for this same reason on my 93. I recently had the case out and installed underdrive gears and inspected everything and all was good.
i too ordered the extension, not because its hard but because im lazy hahaha

I almost think I should have done the underdrive gears instead of the re-gear at the axles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom