1991 Cruise Control issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1991 Cruise control does not work. Light works fine. Diagnostics shows OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
BC

Possible sensor, located in-line, at the transfer case.

Post up if you fix.

My 91 is in the same boat. I have an appointment with friendly neighborhood mechanic for next Thursday to diagnose the prob.

Mark

mine worked till i fixed the shorted wire on my turn signal, now my turn signals flash properly, but no cruise control

1991 Cruise control does not work. Light works fine. Diagnostics shows OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
BC
You did the full on FSM cruise control diagnostics mode where you check a few things with the engine off, and then go for a drive? And the light flashes various patterns in response?Hmm...

Did diagnostics. Toyota mechanic did diagnostics. No problems. There are a couple of items that could be inop and diagnostics shows everything OK according to my mechanic. cdan, how much is a speed sensor?

Thanks,
BC

88261-60010, list $136.21, mudder $102.16.

Did diagnostics. Toyota mechanic did diagnostics. No problems. There are a couple of items that could be inop and diagnostics shows everything OK according to my mechanic. cdan, how much is a speed sensor?

Thanks,
BC
Just to be extra clear: Speed sensor is tested by driving while in diagnostics mode. Light should be steady on below 25mph, and flashing regularly above 25mph. Anyway, if you still suspect it, pull it and see if it's fouled with gear oil from the transfer case. If it is, cleaning it up may get it working. If that's the case, all you need is a new o-ring seal.

Silly question, is the BRAKE lamp on the dash illuminated at all? This will disable CC. When the brake fluid level sensor in the cap of the reservoir fails, it will sometimes dimly illuminate the brake lamp. So much so that you can't see it in daylight.

If all the FSM diag tests come back good, then...

Try pulling the fuse that powers the Cruise circuit for 10 minutes. My '95's cruise flaked out twice and this fixed it.

I doubt this will help you but it may be worth mentioning.

When I bought my 91 80, the cruise control did not work nor does it generally work now. The light comes on but it just does not engage.

I read on the Yahoo 3FE forum that if you pull the cover off the actuator and turn the cam/cable several times by hand, it may temporarily fix the cruise control. Sure enough it worked. Now if I have a long trip planned in the 80, I mess with the actuator and the cruise will work for as long as I am consistently using it…weird.

I believe it’s a common problem it’s the 3FE 80s. If this happens to work for you, maybe some insightful person here on Mud can use this as a troubling shooting step for a more permanent fix:cheers:

Where is the actuator?

Passenger side fender wall. Its the black box and the cover is held on by 1 phillips screw. Take the cover off, spray some cleaner down on, in there while working the cable pulleys back and forth. This will fix your problem for awhile, maybe for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom