1989 FJ62 - 1984 FJ60 - what would it take to put the 4 speed manual into the 62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Both seem stock for each drivetrain. I'm considering making my 62 a manual with the 4 speed from the 60.

I have searched and am both num to the results due to seeing only h55 5 speed swaps done, and also just lost in the finding the right thread to absorb.

So if you know of any threads, and know what model trans I have in the 60, I'd appreciate knowing, because I sure can't figure out what model trans is in the 60 and what it will take or if it's worth it.

And as a teaser, what would you all do if you had an FJ62 and an FJ60? How would you "meld" them?

Lots of work but simple to do.

Since you have both rigs already you have all the parts you need. The 84 should have an H42 in it and it is probably the short case version. No real difference from the long case version and since you have the 84 driveshafts you are good on that point too. All you have to swap on the driveshafts is the flanges for the diff ends and they will bolt right up. The bell housing and flywheel off the 2F bolts right on to the 3FE as well. You don't have to have the 3F bellhousing you may have seen mentioned.

The only fabrication you will have to do is mounting the crossmember out of the 84 on your 62 frame. It should have the older 3 piece crossmember which only requires that you drill 8 holes and through bolt it to the 62 frame. And you can always change to a 5 speed later if you choose as it will still fit on the older crossmember without having to move it.

Lots of dash disassembly because you need the pedal bucket out of the 84 and you have to drill some holes for the clutch slave.

Well worth it even with the four speed.

Tony

Lots of work but simple to do.

Since you have both rigs already you have all the parts you need. The 84 should have an H42 in it and it is probably the short case version. No real difference from the long case version and since you have the 84 driveshafts you are good on that point too. All you have to swap on the driveshafts is the flanges for the diff ends and they will bolt right up. The bell housing and flywheel off the 2F bolts right on to the 3FE as well. You don't have to have the 3F bellhousing you may have seen mentioned.

The only fabrication you will have to do is mounting the crossmember out of the 84 on your 62 frame. It should have the older 3 piece crossmember which only requires that you drill 8 holes and through bolt it to the 62 frame. And you can always change to a 5 speed later if you choose as it will still fit on the older crossmember without having to move it.

Lots of dash disassembly because you need the pedal bucket out of the 84 and you have to drill some holes for the clutch slave.

Well worth it even with the four speed.

Tony

Tony, great response. Of course I have a couple more questions.

Any way to easily climb under the 60 and see if it is indeed the short case version? Some special measurement to confirm?

So the drive shafts are basically just swapping parts, nothing new?

Great news on the older crossmember and the option to go 5 speed at another time. This leads to the question, do you any anybody on the forum know about performance issues with putting the 4 speed into the 3fe and with the 31's I have now? I also may be considering a lift alter and going with 33' or 35's - I've heard some grumbling about the 62 gearing being an issue.

But again, thanks for the concise start to my research. WOW.

i personally like the look of the 60 better...if i were living your dream i'd reassemble the 62 with the 60 front, and dash because you're already there. and whats nice for you is you have both axles and can choose which diff gearing you like more. better yet, make a 2FE!! I've always liked that idea:clap::cheers:

i personally like the look of the 60 better...if i were living your dream i'd reassemble the 62 with the 60 front, and dash because you're already there. and whats nice for you is you have both axles and can choose which diff gearing you like more. better yet, make a 2FE!! I've always liked that idea:clap::cheers:

Yeah, I'd like to know the consensus on gearing.

And, also, what are the benefits to a 2fe?

I got a lot to learn...

Just look at the back of the tranny and if there is a spacer about 3.5 inches long between it and the tcase, its a long case but you should have the short case in the 84. The other way is if the rig has a Double carden front driveshaft, they only installed these from the factory on short case tranny's

Yep, driveshafts are just a flange swap nothing more.

Complaints about 62 gearing comes from putting tall tires on and keeping the auto. The A440 does not like tall tires. Four speeds on a 62 is a great combo, (Eric the other half of the wagon way has a four speed in his 62) Just for reference the 84 has 3.70 gears while the 62 has 4.11's...

Tony

Just look at the back of the tranny and if there is a spacer about 3.5 inches long between it and the tcase, its a long case but you should have the short case in the 84. The other way is if the rig has a Double carden front driveshaft, they only installed these from the factory on short case tranny's

Will do! Thanks for that info. Unimportant, but do you know why the long and short? Benefits?

Yep, driveshafts are just a flange swap nothing more.

Sweet! I like not having to buy parts. Too many vehicles, farm equipement, and toys in too many states. But fun when they run!

Complaints about 62 gearing comes from putting tall tires on and keeping the auto. The A440 does not like tall tires. Four speeds on a 62 is a great combo, (Eric the other half of the wagon way has a four speed in his 62) Just for reference the 84 has 3.70 gears while the 62 has 4.11's...

Tony

OK, so not knowing my gearing and how that all computes to highway runs and low gear trails, this should be now sweat? I'd love to pop a manual into the 62 with what the 62 has now because I think that would be less to swap, plus I think the 62 has better taken care of axles, driveline, etc (sans AUTO).

Is "Eric the other half of the wagon way" a handle I should be looking up here on mud? Sorry for the silly question. I'm immersing while I try to not work on a project for a client in the morning. FJ's before programming firewalls, I suppose. LOL.

Tony, thanks for the info and thanks again to everybody helping out. I love this board!

regarding highway speeds, if you stop at dropping the h42 into your fj62 with 31" tires it'll be turning the engine pretty fast.

least expensive plan i see:
-h42
-swap diffs from 60 to 62 so there is some chance i'll be ok at freeway speeds (direct swap)
-2fe (fj60 engine block + fj62 head + some custom brackets = 4.2liter fuel injection)
-at some point in future, swap 4.11 diffs back into the fj62 when you get taller tires)

i'd look for a spacer to throw on your h42 now, so you only have to fiddle with driveshafts once

regarding highway speeds, if you stop at dropping the h42 into your fj62 with 31" tires it'll be turning the engine pretty fast.

least expensive plan i see:
-h42
-swap diffs from 60 to 62 so there is some chance i'll be ok at freeway speeds (direct swap)
-2fe (fj60 engine block + fj62 head + some custom brackets = 4.2liter fuel injection)
-at some point in future, swap 4.11 diffs back into the fj62 when you get taller tires)

i'd look for a spacer to throw on your h42 now, so you only have to fiddle with driveshafts once

Ah, lots more research with your comment of gearing. Any thoughts on where tp find a spacer, and if I use a spacer, I would be retaining the TC of the 62 in the 62 truck - basically just swapping in the h42?

Sorry if my Q's seem daft. I need to get a better handle of all the 4wd components...

you could reasonably use either transfer case, regardless of if you find a spacer or not. i believe the 62 case has a slightly better lo-range gear, and is generally considered a little "better" than the vintage of case you have in the 60, though the external differences are minimal and they can be interchanged without much difficulty and they're both plenty strong

the spacers should be around if you post a wanted ad, or contact any of the usual vendors of used parts. as many reasons as there are to run an h42 WITH a spacer, there are reasons to run WITHOUT as well so they should be around for nominal cost.

In your shoes, I would swap the h42 (driveshafts if necessary) and headlights onto your 62 and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom