1989 BJ74 advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I just got a 1989 Bj74 5spd with 170,000km. Everything runs great I’ve had no issues so far, but I want to start buying parts for stock so I can be prepared. What should I prioritize? I’m admittedly inexperienced but are there any parts specific for the 13bt or h55f I should start looking for? I know some parts are difficult to find but any help would be great.

thanks

Thanks! I’ve been slowly crawling under the car and looking under the hood to get familiar with how things work. As for the parts, who can I contact to help me source parts for the 13bt? I’ve been trying to find some parts people have mentioned but it usually comes up as out of stock or discontinued.
Nice looking machine. If you are looking for parts in Canada 4wheelauto keeps a lot of stuff in stock for a BJ74 and it arrives quick. it appears that the hardest parts to find will be those that are specific to the 13bt.

Thanks! I’ve been slowly crawling under the car and looking under the hood to get familiar with how things work. As for the parts, who can I contact to help me source parts for the 13bt? I’ve been trying to find some parts people have mentioned but it usually comes up as out of stock or discontinued.
Call Cruiser Outfitters and ask for Kurt, he's been a great resource and has one himself. They can get everything you need that's still in production.

Thanks! The fog lights are called IPF Super Rally Type M. I don’t think they are JDM. One of them cracked and doesn’t light up anymore. I’m going to replace them with some small ditch lights to get better airflow through my radiator.

I have the same ( or very similar) IPF Super Rally lights, and I think they're fantastic. They are actually a competition spec light, and with the IPF upgraded wiring loom are rated for 170W halogen bulbs. I have 55W/100W bulbs in mine, and they make a huge difference at night by lighting up the ditches and revealing the deer and other animals lurking there :)

They are still available new from ARB, but cost something like $700 for a pair. I am on the lookout for some covers for mine to prevent the lenses getting chipped or cracked like what happened to yours.

I have the same ( or very similar) IPF Super Rally lights, and I think they're fantastic. They are actually a competition spec light, and with the IPF upgraded wiring loom are rated for 170W halogen bulbs. I have 55W/100W bulbs in mine, and they make a huge difference at night by lighting up the ditches and revealing the deer and other animals lurking there :)

They are still available new from ARB, but cost something like $700 for a pair. I am on the lookout for some covers for mine to prevent the lenses getting chipped or cracked like what happened to yours.
Yeah I really like the look of them. It got chipped on the drive home after I got it. I’m going to see if I can repair it.

I got plastic covers for my PIAA’s from England.
Before that I was considering having an upholsterer make padded vinyl covers.

I came across these, I think they should fit. Need to confirm model number on my lights first.

Edit: I just realized you have the Type M 940 which is a 195mm light. Mine are the 930 220mm lights, as are the covers in the link. It looks like that seller also has covers for the 940’s.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I noticed a noise this week coming from the shifter. Sounds like a worn out bearing? I can here it the most in 3d and 4th under load, or if I push the shifter to the side. Are the h55f’s known to do that? It shifts fine and there’s no gear whine/growl I can hear, who knows, maybe I’m just paranoid lol.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I noticed a noise this week coming from the shifter. Sounds like a worn out bearing? I can here it the most in 3d and 4th under load, or if I push the shifter to the side. Are the h55f’s known to do that? It shifts fine and there’s no gear whine/growl I can hear, who knows, maybe I’m just paranoid lol.

can you take a video?

Are the h55f’s known to do that?
Yes, at higher klms they begin to do that. You can make them last longer by taking off in 2nd gear most of the time to save the 1/2 gear synchos and keeping them well lubed. As you may be aware, they don't like shifting when cold and its wise not to force them. They need the oil to be stirred up a bit. I drive in 3rd for the 1st klm in the morning.
They will still make faint wines even after a good rebuild and 1st to 2nd is always a bit clunky. Don't tow in 5th , half a ton is ok

Yours doesnt sound too bad. Mine were all like that at 250000klms, but fully trustworthy. Most of the time they will do 400000klms without abuse. In Australia where they are used in mines and construction, many 7* series have multiple drivers and this brings the life span down.
Even the awful R151 in a the 7* and 105 series will go to 300000klms with sensible driving.

can you take a video?

The microphone couldn't pick up the sound during a drive but I was able to recreate it by putting the tcase in neutral, putting it at 1800 rpm and going through the gears. The video only shows the noise in 4th because that's where it's most audible. All the other gears aren't loud, 3rd and 4th is where I hear it the most. After what Rosco said I'm not too concerned about it, I'm probably just overthinking it.

Its just the shift mechanism pushing things in a direction they were nor made for. All manual boxes do this to some extent. It gets worse as they age.

Call Cruiser Outfitters and ask for Kurt, he's been a great resource and has one himself. They can get everything you need that's still in production.

One... or a few :D

We would love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters. We stock a great deal of 7x parts including many specific to the BJ74. Brakes, rotors, axle shaft, Belts, hoses, seals, gaskets, suspension, steering, etc, etc. Let us know what we can help with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom