Builds 1988 FJ62 5.3 4l60 Turbo Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also the motor mounts from Matt are great by the way!
Matt is the bane of my existence at this point. Every time I text him to sell something from one of my rigs he convinces me to keep it for another build or something haha. Super helpful guy and good product!!

Last edited:
Update. Started pulling off the stock suspension mounts from the 62 body with an angle grinder and boy was that awful grinding out the rivets. Ended up just buying a thermal dynamics 40 amp plasma cutter from my local welding shop. Somehow I got a killer deal it was typically $1750 I ended up getting it brand new for $950 because it was yellow instead of green?? Still confused about that but it made life 100X easier and I highly recommend it.

Was going to sell the stock fj62 suspension steering box axles etc. but yet again Matt comes in and messes everything up convincing me to keep it for my FJ40 build that is next in line.
Buddy is coming over tomorrow we have to pull a gen 4 6.0 Express van LS with a 6l90 and then we are going to cut out the 80 series suspension and tack it into the fj62 frame is the plan.

Side note I will post in the classifieds but now that I have a plasma cutter if anyone needs any frame components from an 80 series frame such as cross member or a body mount or anything I can cut it off and sell it cheap.

I didn't take many pictures but here is one pic of the 62 frame before I finished cutting and then a pic of the 80 frame

Fj62frame.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

You’ll thank me later

:lol:

NOS Chrome and NOS Sahara Gray Fj62 grilles arrives today. Both brand new Oem. The chrome one will replace the Taiwan garbage that mine came with and the gray one is for sale will post it this evening. Don’t see these very often brand new with the Toyota box even!
0DC28AC6-46FF-49B9-9E8E-28CE9DB36CC9.jpeg

Welp. At this point I think I have an actual diagnosable problem with LS’s between me and my buddy we have accumulated 5 within a years time and slowly been getting better and better ones.

I picked this up this last weekend for a deal I just can’t pass up at $1600. 2009 Yukon XL denali. ~163k miles 6.2 aluminum LS L9H motor with 6l80e AWD. They said that it was starting to slip around 2-3 I have not tested anything out it sounds good and healthy will further look into it and baseline it before we pull the motor. Now the question is do I slap this in the fj62? Or do I save it for my 80? Or do I build a racecar??? I will end up making money on the Yukon after parting it out and keeping motor and trans!

IMG_3074.jpeg

Update on the 62+80 monster

I have the front spring and shock towers put onto the 62 frame, as well as the rear cross section shortened and put into the rear as well. Not the prettiest welds but I’m confident they will be fine! Between school and family stuff time has been tight but with thanksgiving and Christmas break I hope to get it done quick I haven’t taken many photos but here is where I’m at.

Again welds not pretty but that’s what grinders and paint is for. This is a learning experience

IMG_3108.png

IMG_3109.png

Let the party begin! (note this kit is typically 540-600$ but eBay scratch and dent special makes it a no brainer)

1703393851259.png

Buddy is coming over on Tuesday to finalize the location of 80 series suspension and measure stuff. Will build all adjustable arms and hopefully have full suspension set in position along with motor transmission etc. all in place ready to go back under the body by next weekend. Figured since I'm already building everything essentially from scratch may as well throw a turbo on it for the cool factor. Practicality is irrelevant at this point.

I can tell you right now it will be easier to make a new passenger manifold from scratch rather then make that one work on a Cruiser. Running the crossover pipe behind the bellhousing is going to be a mess with driveshaft and downpipe.

I used this and capped the downpipe end and cut a new one in the middle and ran the crossover under the front of the oil pan.
I have a SOA and it’s all very very tight

I can tell you right now it will be easier to make a new passenger manifold from scratch rather then make that one work on a Cruiser. Running the crossover pipe behind the bellhousing is going to be a mess with driveshaft
do you have link to when/how you did yours?

Just went back and edited my last post.

There’s also pics in my build thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom