Builds 1988 FJ62 5.3 4l60 Turbo Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welllllll when you say you have never seen anyone break a transfercase that changes the plans for phase 2. There are 3 routes this ends up.

1. Leave it sub 10 PSI eventually build a 4l60 and just have fun. The smart responsible thing to do

2. Build 5.3 mild just for boost build 4l60 for 700ish and turn her up to 1 bar

3. Build 5.3 or 6.0 for boost with 4l60 or 4l80 with 80 series transfercase. Making AWD 700 wheel and be able to do 4 wheel burn outs being ignorant because this is American HAHAHHAHA.

We will see long term what ends up happening and will only address any of these options when the time comes and stuff breaks and needs to be rebuilt. Will likely not be for a few years that other plans come into play since still have the 40 build and probably a 6.2 turbo 6l80 build also
6.2 turbo 6l80 80 series**

Option 1 will make you the happiest. Option 2 is waste of time and money and option 3 is unrealistic. No Land Cruiser is doing 4wd burnouts without being chained to a tree

maybe build it and test it yourself first before recommending everyone else do it. :lol:

Wanted to throw a post out for some advice in my search of the ideal wheel setup for this build.

Keep in mind while it wil be LS turbo etc etc the entire premise is OEM+ sleeper lowkey. It will be around stock height suspension wise and around 31-33 inch tires. Presentable, comfortable, and functional. With that being said I need wheels. I love the stock chromes but 15’s are impossible on this build. I like my wheel to sidewall ratio to lean on the side of sidewall and being beefy. With that being said I like 16’s ideally 16x8 or in that realm.

Few options are TE37XT in bronze. Classic Japanese has the awe factor for those that know. Can get in whatever ideal spec but lotttta money.

The FJ Company wheels. 16x6+0
Will only be able to run skinny tires on which is not a bad thing but could leave slightly more to be desired. Worst case I run them on my 40 in the future so not as much of a risk.

70 series 16 inch wheels. Stock looking spoke pattern but not chrome. Getting stuff chrome in America is insane money and I wanna say they are also only 16x6 so no real advantage over The FJ Company wheels.

Other options????

Also I really need to keep in mind brakes. This will be around 450-550 at the end of the day down the road and would be a shame to spend all this and that on wheels and tires just to realize it’s a tank and can’t stop and have to go up to 17’s. I have only hardly started looking at brake kits and what can be done and more research will be done on that unless yall have more information. Open to suggestions or secret wheels that came on another random Toyota at some point. Thanks yall!

Use quality pads and the stock 80 brakes will be great for what you are doing. I would also do the 80 booster and master cylinder.

Also, horsepower is irrelevant to braking. Speed is what matters. Stopping from 75mph with 100hp or 10000hp is the same assuming the vehicle has the same mass. In the end I bet this will weigh the same as a stock FJ62, and the stock 80 brakes are a huge upgrade over the 60 brakes.

Use quality pads and the stock 80 brakes will be great for what you are doing. I would also do the 80 booster and master cylinder.

Also, horsepower is irrelevant to braking. Speed is what matters. Stopping from 75mph with 100hp or 10000hp is the same assuming the vehicle has the same mass. In the end I bet this will weigh the same as a stock FJ62, and the stock 80 brakes are a huge upgrade over the 60 brakes.
That’s good to know. After I posted this I started reading and thinking also also comparing to other like LS3 builds and stuff so it all makes sense.

Im just using oem reman calipers and oem aisin green pads on mine. stock 80 MC and early 80 booster. The early 80 booster is the same as the late 60 and 62 booster so if thats what you got just run it. I think my booster is leaking some so thats the only reason im changing it out

Im just using oem reman calipers and oem aisin green pads on mine. stock 80 MC and early 80 booster. The early 80 booster is the same as the late 60 and 62 booster so if thats what you got just run it. I think my booster is leaking some so thats the only reason im changing it out
Both early and late 80 series booster bolt up same so any reason to use an early 80 series over later. I have 96 booster from the original part out I was planning on using. Also planning on deleting all the vslp stuff that was on the cross member and worst case adding a proportional valve later if it’s necessary which I doubt will be the case. Going to try and use as much of the stock brake lines as possible as I believe I took them off in good condition but we will see.

Both early and late 80 series booster bolt up same so any reason to use an early 80 series over later. I have 96 booster from the original part out I was planning on using. Also planning on deleting all the vslp stuff that was on the cross member and worst case adding a proportional valve later if it’s necessary which I doubt will be the case. Going to try and use as much of the stock brake lines as possible as I believe I took them off in good condition but we will see.
Im not sure on that one. I just figured to use the booster that matched the MC. I just on rockauto at 92 vs 97 and the part numbers are different

All the 80 boosters are the same performance the difference is just the vacuum hose attachment is slightly different

All the 80 boosters are the same performance the difference is just the vacuum hose attachment is slightly different
So fj62 booster same as early 80 IE fj62 booster is good?

So fj62 booster same as early 80 IE fj62 booster is good?

No, the 60 series and 80 series boosters are different. The 80 booster is a little bigger. The 62 booster will work fine though if it is in good shape.

No, the 60 series and 80 series boosters are different. The 80 booster is a little bigger. The 62 booster will work fine though if it is in good shape.
I have an 80 series one either way. Will use the 62 on my 40 likely

I have an 80 series one either way. Will use the 62 on my 40 likely

Either way will be fine. Just buy a good semi-metallic pad, OEM rotors and soft hoses (from me 😁) and you'll be very happy with the braking performance

Any advice? This is the furthest this selector shaft comes out and it goes essentially all the way in. This is the vacuum housing for the FJ62
IMG_4069.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom